tuscl

A Prior Non-Human Earthly Intelligence?

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Might an intelligent, technologically capable species have previously arisen on and inhabited our planet? How certain can we be that we are the first intelligent species to arise on Earth?

No one has found evidence for any prior, advanced, non-human civilizations on Earth. But how compelling is this lack of evidence?

The answer to that question is tied up with the question of “how long would the evidence of a prior Earth-bound civilization be expected to last?”

The longevity of the evidence depends on the nature of the artifacts left behind. More technologically advanced civilizations might be expected to leave behind more durable artifacts. If we disappeared tomorrow we would leave behind pyramids, towering skyscrapers, steel and concrete bridges, deep pits full of radioactive waste and enormous quantities of resilient plastic detritus. But if we had disappeared from the face of the Earth 10,000 or more years ago evidence of our existence would be far less widespread and much less durable.

But whether we are talking about Stonehenge, pyramids, towering skyscrapers, steel and concrete bridges, radioactive waste or resilient plastic detritus, nothing lasts forever. How much evidence of our civilization will be discernible a billion years after our demise?

The answer is probably “not much!”

If a non-human civilization thrived on the Earth in the distant past and was wiped out during their equivalent of our Bronze Age, little or no evidence might have survived for us to find. Even if a prior, non-human Earthly civilization had become more advanced than we are now before it disappeared, there might still be little or no evidence left for us to find depending on how long ago it disappeared and on the circumstances of its disappearance.

If we disappear in the next 500 years and another intelligent species arises on Earth a billion years from now, it might take them a VERY long time to realize they were not the first technologically capable residents of this planet. Depending on how long their tenure and how good their archeological forensics become, they might never discover that they were not the first.

Our longest lasting legacy may not be found on the Earth at all.

https://www.tuscl.net/photo.php?id=2423

There is an excellent chance that no one or no thing will ever find those footprints before they too are finally erased.

9 comments

• rickthelion
    5 years ago
    Come now Horny Rev, you have such a narrow view of intelligence. Am I not an super-intelligent lion that enjoys wearing suits, drinking gimlets, and fucking whores?

Your hairless ape “technology” impresses you so much, but is it really worthwhile. I enjoy using my iPad sharing the wisdom of the ricks with the hoi polloi, but is the iPad really proof of intelligence. Just because you apes have dexterous fingers doesn’t make you smarter than me, a lion! In fact, figuring out how to type on an iPad with lion claws requires a certain genius. And don’t get me started with the vulture and crab. The fact that those guys have learned to communicate on your ape internet proves their superiority - their rickness, if you will!

ROAR!!!
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    But I will give you this Horny Rev, you are good at contemplating the enormous void of time and space and the insignificance of you apes. Some frightened apes want to compress the history to the world into a mere 6000 years after its creation by a deity that resembles a hairless ape.

Ha! rickthedeity is a far beyond you as you are beyond a mere bacterial cell. He is a master predator that created the universe almost 14 billion years ago and you apes are hardly the center of creation. For I have both communed with the deity and I have met life from other worlds. I know: I’m a rick!

ROAR!!!
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    While there are many indications of extraterrestrial visitors in our past there is no solid evidence. However the number of planets in the Milky Way which are believed to be capable of sustaining life (as we know it) are astronomical ( pun intended). Now that could be 3 celled paramecium or civilizations dominated by robots with artificial intelligence who surpassed their creators’s intelligence centuries or eons ago. It is unlikely that there’ll be definitive answers within our lifetimes, a mere insignificant speck of dust on the vastness of space and time (which may be interconnected).
    I’m not too bright and as a result I’m weak on The Theory of Relativity and quantum physics, both of which may contain clues to whether others from space have visited or are among us.
    I was on the phone with a stripper today and after 15 minutes of her incessant babbling I thought that she was a real spaceshot, but initially that was thought figuratively but the last time she and I were naked together I thought her use of her tongue was other worldly, so who knows? Who, but the right reverend hornibastard really cares?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Very good questions!

SJG
  • JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    The Hubble Telescope has captured images of countless galaxies. Each galaxy has billions of stars. Millions of those stars have solar systems. Millions of those planets are capable of sustaining life as we know it. There is a lot of pussy out there waiting to be fucked and eaten.
  • loper
    5 years ago
    I've read about this theory before--that we are not the first "intelligent" life to arise on this planet. We may not be the last either, if our extinction goes along as it appears that it will.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Hairless Apes have so far proven themselves completely destructive. May be the first intelligent life, but are doing everything possible to make sure we are also the last.

The Last Man

“Alas, the time is coming when man will no longer give birth to a star. Alas, the time of the most despicable man is coming, he that is no longer able to despise himself. Behold, I show you the last man.

“‘What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?’ thus asks the last man, and he blinks.

“The earth is small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small. His race is as ineradicable as the flea-beetle; the last man lives longest.

“‘We have invented happiness,’ say the last men, and they blink. They have left the regions where it was hard to live, for one needs warmth. One still loves one’s neighbor and rubs against him, for one needs warmth.

https://www.newcriterion.com/issues/1991…

Now 7 Billion strong!

SJG

Kushner, Inc.: Greed. Ambition. Corruption. The Extraordinary Story of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/125018…
  • Liwet
    5 years ago
    >"but how does anyone explain away these sightings that are tracked on radar and recorded on video that are defying the laws of physics? Stuff that highly-trained military and aviation personnel can not even begin to explain?"

Yes, because obviously extraterrestrial life forms more advanced than us capable of FTL travel but not making contact with us is the simplest explanation.

The most important thing to allow intelligent life to prosper is the passing on of knowledge. There must be some mechanism to do so and since we haven't found evidence of this mechanism, it stands to reason that intelligent life didn't come before us.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The Ricks!

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion