tuscl

Drinking While Driving

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
Anybody on here ever drink alcohol while driving?

Apparently six states have no laws making it illegal to operate a vehicle with an open container: West Virginia, Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi. I think you just can't be over the BAC.

I just had just cracked a tallboy at a BYOB, and then the club kicked everyone out because they wanted to close down twenty minutes early. I did not want to pitch a good beer, so I put it in the cupholder and drove home sipping it along the way. This was not in one of the six above states. I was still very sober and nowhere near impaired, but if a cop pulled me over, I probably would have been fucked and lost my drivers license.

I think open containers in vehicles must be way more common than people think. I was volunteering on an Adopt A Highway project a while back, and there must've been thirty or forty beer cans or bottles every eighth of a mile on the shoulder and ditch. These obviously came from people tossing the beer containers out of their cars.

In Louisiana, there is a loophole where it is legal to transport daiquiris (slushies with alcohol) in your vehicle as long as you don't consume it or put a straw in it until you get home. Once I purchased a daiquiri from a place in Metairie that had a drive-thru. (Yes, they actually sold alcoholic Slurpees via a drive-thru if you did not want to go inside.) The temptation was too great and I started sucking it down while cruising down Esplanade Avenue. Oops.

19 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Not a big drinker thus I've never driven with alcohol in my car - in the case you stated in hindsight it should be obvious the consequences of getting busted is not worth not tossing out a beer that likely costs under $10.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ especially since cops at times steak out strip clubs
  • rh48hr
    5 years ago
    I don't drink, but I've had other people drinking in the car while I've been driving.
  • TXbananas
    5 years ago
    Better question: do I ever drive without drinking.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    As long as you are not over the local limit and you broke no law, have at it!
  • AnonymousJim
    5 years ago
    The phrase "one for the road" used to literally mean getting one more drink to take with you. The "road beer" used to be a far more common thing. You'd buy a bottle at the end of your dinner or visit to the bar to drink on your way bal to wherever you were gong.

I like beer and drinks, but I rarely get smashed. I know my limit and, cliche as it may be, if anything, I drive a little more carefully when I'm buzzed because I know I'm buzzed and definitely don't want to get pulled over.

So yeah, if I were in a state where it was legal, sure, a good, cold beer in the cupholder on a warm summer night would probably feel just as good as the AC.
  • lotsoffun201
    5 years ago
    One thing I’ve never understood is how people speed after drinking? Damn when I’ve had a few even though I’m not feeling it, I set the cruise control, hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, and I drive like a priest. I just don’t get it.

That being said, I never have an open container in the car. I won’t even let a passenger drink in the car.
    5 years ago
    Having an open container in the vehicle is not the same as being impaired. In my state it is a couple demerits and a ticket, no where near as serious as DUI, as long as your not wasted of course.
  • DeclineToState
    5 years ago
    Carefully concealed road sodas on drive to ball game or SC, pretty much every time
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    As a rick it is not at all immoral for me to drive drunk. We ricks have remarkable control over cars regardless of the amount of alcohol we have imbibed.

In fact, I once drove my Tesla into a crowd at a Phish concert after chugging a bottle of cheap gin while I was chugging Jim Beam! The remarkable part is that I had to have the control to override the self-driving feature in order to hit the unwashed idiots. Had any of you hairless apes been driving there would be more Phish fans in the world. But there are now fewer Phish fans because I have such control. You’re welcome!

ROAR!!!
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    I know you think that we ricks always spare no expense when we drink because we so seldom pay. Bartenders and liquor store proprietors usually give us what we want. So why wasn’t I chugging Louis XIII?

Simple, sometimes I like cheap liquor. There was this time rickdugan and I were running the system and we started the evening by drinking Mad Dog from bottles in brown paper bags! The only problem is that the hairless ape hotties we thought we were picking up turned out to be transsexual zebras.

Those tranny zebras still gave good BBBJs. And I went wildebeest on them when we sobered up. Good times! ROAR!!!
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    I grew up in Texas. I can remember drive-thru beer barns. You drive your car thru the barn, they would hand you an opened, cold beer. Then you drive out. That was back in the 80's.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    Not anymore. Fortunately I learned my lesson without hurting anyone but myself.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Not in the last 25 years. I've been pulled over a few times over the years with a few pops under the belt, but I've never been impaired enough that I was asked to blow. I can't imagine the same holding true if I had an open container of alcohol in the car.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Back in the 70's my best friend and myself drove the Baja before they built the paved road in a "55 VW dune buggy. We drank cerveza constantly and had a bottle of Souza Blanco in the ice chest for a shot every hour or so. Of course we only saw 1 or 2 other vehicles per hour. Fun time.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    We need to respect the laws prohibiting drunken driving, and the spirit of these laws.

SJG
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    In Colorado it's also illegal to have open containers of alcohol in the car -- except in the trunk.

I hardly drink. Worst ticket in my lifetime was a 4-point ticket for gazing at Google Maps while driving. Cop said that I was texting, but not so.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Don't do it
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    Lmfao for the dumbass!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion