tuscl

During my job interview I was asked a few questions that were unnecessary. How s

My potential employer (Dentist, Male, looked to be between his late 40’s to early 50’s)

He asked some typical questions like “Are you from Texas?” “What city do you live in?”...then he asked me what high school I went to, what year did I graduate then asked me how old I am....

I proceeded to answer with a smile on my face, but after leaving, it lingered in my mind. Was that super unprofessional or what?? Maybe I’m just being dramatic lol.

57 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I see it as him being informaal and friendly - in a small business like that people are usually informal vs a large corporation
  • theDirkDiggler
    6 years ago
    If you're only education is high school (and i'm not saying it is), then it's not necessarily an unnecessary question to ask which school you went to and if you graduated and when. Also there are many reasons an employer will ask how old you are, whether for legal reasons (if he thought you were a minor or or had to open or serve alcohol) or for providing benefits (retirement, insurance). You may not be legally required to answer certain questions, but you're chances of getting hired could easily decrease if you seem defensive of these questions which from my point of view are still largely harmless. Every one of those questions you would have to fill out on an application anyway (address, date of birth, education history), so he may have seen then already.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Age is a forbidden question in HR Land.

Not quite up there with "swallow or spit?" or "are you open to traveling with me on business?"

I actually had a young woman reverse that last one and offer up that she was single and had no problems traveling with me if I required that. Added "We can have fun." I had already noticed she forgot to wear a bra under that thin white blouse. I was tempted to take her for a "long lunch" because I already knew the female hiring manager interviewed her the day before and didn't want her. I could have played "Good Cock Bad Cunt" and blamed the other manager for not letting me hire her.

Didn't have the balls to try it.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Feel free to use us as recommendations
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo Yeah, I also thought that too. It didn’t bother me as much now because I’m young...but if I were 30 years old or older it would definitely bother me and one day I’m going to reach that age.

@thedirkdiggler That could be a possibility. I did have down on my resume that I went to a community college. I think some employers might do that as well to make sure you’re not lying. None the less I don’t think he meant any harm. Just not completely sure how to respond if I didn’t want to answer my age.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Caveat my comment about age. Yes they can confirm you are above 18 or 21 as required. Many job applications do not ask for age. That gets filled in after the hire. Much more important for older folks. You can usually guess pretty close by work history.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    For a woman, marital status is another big no-no question. Opens the employer up for "didn't hire a married woman because they don't want to deal with maternity leave." These complaints and suits happen all the time.
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @papi_chulo HAHAHA! I’d love to hear what you’d say in terms of recommendations lol !!

@holdmongerATL That’s wild!!! I feel like that’s a happen once in your life kind of incident, but I see you took the high road. You can always just save yourself for the strip club ha. Also, love your analogies and examples!!
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Female applicants play the cock tease card all the time. That one also interviewed with a different woman on the same day as me. Jacket stayed on and one more button was buttoned for the female interviewer (I passed by and noticed). Earlier for me, jacket off with tits and nips on full display. This woman was probably 30.
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @goldmongerATL what position are they applying for? Doggy style? Cowgirl?

..but on a serious note?
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    I’d say listen to your gut on whatever—sometimes it’s innocent and sometimes it’s not.

If not, and you can’t find another job, then just play dumb and milk that for a couple months then switch.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Marketing and Sales of course!

You never can tell. We once hired a Sunday School teacher that got passed around the office over the years like the cheap slut she really was. "Dated" three different bosses (on the QT but everyone knew) as she worked her way up the ladder.

You can actually hide that at a big company.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    TBH - he probably wants to fuck you
  • azdd
    6 years ago
    Whenever I’ve interviewed female candidates, I have made it a point to have a female colleague join me in the room, even if they don’t say anything. I want the interview to focus solely on the job duties, the qualifications of the candidate, and whether they will be a good fit.
  • azdd
    6 years ago
    I realize that some of you will misread my “good fit” comment.......
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    It always depends on context, I try hard to be careful when interviewing a potential new hire, first impressions are important for both of us.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ @Papi
    "TBH - he probably wants to fuck you"

Well yeah, unless he's a homo.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ are you sayin Papi is a homo ?
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    I have interviewed many beautiful, young women job applicants. Although, I believe his questions were innocent, the answers to those could be acquired via background check and thus no real need to ask. He is probably just a terrible interviewer. When I interview people for jobs, I stick to the task at hand. Why are you a fit for this job, why are you considering a change from your current job, how well do you work with others (team player), can you make it to work
    on time. I look them in the eyes and NEVER take my eyes off of their forehead. When the interview is over ...... if it is a male candidate, I pitch the notes in the trash. If it is a female candidate, I make notes on nipple protrusion, perky titties, smile, hair, firmness of ass. I HAVE GREAT PERIPHERAL VISION and photographic memory, thus my notes will be accurate. At that point, the best candidate wins!
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    @azdd: Wow, a FMF threesome! You da mane!
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Lolita to answer your question you should have responded is sleeping with the boss a good way to get a better starting salary;)
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    I have interviewed plenty of applicants and have had no issue interviewing femals (I keep it totally professional and I follow HR guidance. This is where they get it right as opposed to some other silly ass policy shit). I also don't fuck the staff as that's a recipe for total disaster.

Those questions are not terrible but the age question is a definite no no. If you were not hired for the job you could claim some form of age discrimination. But that's usually an issue with older applicants.

But Nice Spice is right. If you creepometer starts giving you warnings go with your gut.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    Can’t ask questions about any of the protected classes - age, race, etc. but small companies/private practices aren’t as compliant with the law as big companies are, as you’d expect. In your case, the question probably has zero to do with whether it will be a good place to work or whether he will hit on you. He will or he won’t and your age is of no impact.
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    And if you worked in my dentist’s office, I’d get my teeth cleaned way more often than the 2x a year that insurance covers! My teeth would be blinding white!
  • pistola
    6 years ago
    Asking age is a no no.

That said as an interviewer I want to get a feel for the person and their hobbies, background. A recent person I interviewed I was probing and it finally came out he wanted to work half the time from home because he had custody and 2 kids. So probing is ok, but race, age, religion, political affiliation, etc is off the table.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Did he ask your measurements and cup size?
    It could be that he is just getting ready to order uniforms and wants to include a set for you.
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @nicespice Yeah, that’s generally the advice I’ve been getting. I’m not going to be working for them.

@goldmongerATL Did she ever get busted? There has been once or twice I MIGHT have had sex at work, on the desk lol.

@Papi_Chulo Yes, that could be possible ha. They also generally only hire Hispanic females (bi-lingual) excluding maybe 1-2 other females. I think they assumed I spoke Spanish because of how I look and my last name.

I love everyone’s answers lol
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @JimmyMcNulty If you’re a loyal-good enough patient there will be perks. Oral examinations, but not with my hands lmao.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    If you're going to be a dental hygienist, then you're going to get a lot of guys eating an entire package of Oreos and a jar of peanut butter (chunky, of course) immediately before their appointments.
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    Lolita we had a VP fired for fucking a subordinate in a bathroom at work (repeatedly). If you worked for me I might also be tempted, but not at work.

During the work week I have done nooners with strippers and a local sugar baby but it was always off site at a club or their place.
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @uprightcitizen Haha of course. This was back when I was 18 years old. I’m in my career path now and wouldn’t do something as risky as that anytime soon.

Now...what I do in my personal time and in the privacy of my own home is my business!
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    My dental assistant/hygienist changed from a woman to a dude. A creepy one at that. I like my dentist but man this assistant makes me want to switch. All other things equal I'd much rather have a female. Same thing goes for my doctor and hair cutter. Males need not "apply".

@Lolita it may have not been the most appropriate for him to ask those questions but such is the power of a hot woman in front of a straight man. I have no interest in having personal relations with the hot women at my work but they do influence the back of my mind as I interact with them to the point that I probably subconsciously treat and interact with them differently. Regardless of the law sometimes a man just can't keep his libido in check. And the hotter the woman, the worse it is.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    It is unprofessional. Now, unless he hires you, he has opened the door to a lawsuit, regardless of what your answers were.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    People who work for large corporations are admonished about these matters, and they learn to keep it job description relevant, or else they could be in trouble.

SJG
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @SJG I actually called to decline the job today. Yes, I’ve been told it’s actually against the law to ask about age.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    But you can ask bra size
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @SJG They have a total of 4 locations in Texas and are looking to expand with 2 more coming soon. The location I went to, their office was actually in a corporate building.
  • LolitaLove789
    6 years ago
    @flagooner I would have felt more comfortable telling him my boob size than my age lmao!
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Not really much you can do about the question(s) - if you express something along the lines of it being inappropriate likely he'll take offense to it even if he does not say so - I guess your choices are to take for what it is or choose not to work there.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    I don't know that it is technically against the law to ask. But it is against the law to discriminate in hiring. So it comes down to whether they offered you the job or not. As you have withdrawn your application, they matter is now closed.

How they handled this was extremely unprofessional. But it is hard to enforce such rules on small scale employers.

SJG
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Look at the ambulance chasing SJG! I swear if you were an employment lawyer you’d be looking for every angle to file a discriminatory lawsuit based on conjecture, no fact. Jesus Christ, this is a small time dental office whom probably employs 5-10 people, not a corporate office. Or course he’s asking questions to see how she would fit in with the other members employed by his office. Of course SJG can only relate to discord, not civil discourse.
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    When hiring is it all right to ask a beautiful female applicant, “ How badly do you want this job?”
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    @Lolita - no that woman was careful to take it outside work. On occasion that did include the parking lot. Or so I was told. She did go on business trips where her only apparent role was served within the hotel, so to speak. Her travel companion was approving the travel. Wonder why?

She has since gone the mommy track and no longer works.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    @gawker - let her make the first move, but throw hints. Mentioning the job involves the two of you traveling together is a good hint. So is a condom laying on your desk.
  • JackScott
    6 years ago
    Having worked in the mortgage industry we often ask a lot of personal questions beyond the income and credit rating for a number of reasons that may seem superfluous to the client. But it's a clever way of fact-checking the application. Many times erroneous information will show up on a client's credit report because they happened to have the same name as someone else who files bankruptcy every 7 years and never pays their bills. So as it relates to the job interview, if they run a criminal background check and someone with your same name has a checkered past, they can quickly determine that it's not you because they know your DOB and other things about you that don't match a profile that they found with your name attached to it.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    @ Lolita. So, do you perform personal consultation regarding oral therapy in the privacy of your own home? If so, I think I am ailing and need support.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Meat, job description related.

Anyone with any management training would know that and know not to ask what this guy asked.

"Fitting in" is not part of the job description. Otherwise you could fire anyone who you say does not fit in.

This is not ambulance chasing, its a basic right to privacy in one's affairs.

Here we have EDD, and they do investigate.

Just go to the Texas version and say I think I may have been discriminated against on the basis of my marital status. They will ask if they question everyone about their marital status, and if everyone who works there is of that status, and then how that relates to the job description.

We will only have a fair and ethical jobs market if we police it.

SJG
  • Hank Moody
    6 years ago
    “@JimmyMcNulty If you’re a loyal-good enough patient there will be perks. Oral examinations, but not with my hands lmao”

And.... I’m done.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    @SJG. In my state, we can hire “at will” and fire “at will”. Thus, if they don’t fit in, then we can fire them without repercussions.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Hiring and firing at will is still the law in the whole country. But there are certain types of discrimination which are still outlawed, nation wide. There are also additional worker protections in some states.

So while proving a prohibited form of discrimination will usually be difficult, if an interviewer asks stupid questions, he is making it very easy.

So the first questions which would be asked, 1. Do you ask everyone this? 2. Does everyone comply with the answer you are expecting? 3. Does everyone have this characteristic so that they fit in, and how is that part of the job description?

Anyone who has had any management training will be told right off, do not ask questions about such things, otherwise you pretty much have to hire them.

I guess that dentist has never had a talk with his insurance carrier.

Just right off I find this:
    https://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/…

SJG

Kushner, Inc.: Vicky Ward on How Jared and Ivanka’s Greed & Ambition Compromise U.S. Foreign Policy
    https://www.democracynow.org/2019/3/21/k…

Intermodal Equipment
    http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of-…

New truck trailers 53' instead of 40'. So they have 53' containers now too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_car#/…

5 section articulated double stack car, so it can carry 10 containers.
    https://www.gbrx.com/manufacturing/north…

Expanded Panama Canal -> Much larger container ships
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Concern about lawsuits is why most large companies almost never fire anyone, not unless it is over something which warrants criminal charges. Otherwise they just transfer them do a position doing nothing, and then sweep them up in the next layoff. They plan on cyclic layoffs.

But sometimes an employee can claim that a layoff was really a firing. Even though the law is employment at will, such a firing may constitute a prohibited form of discrimination.

As far as Lollita, yes, that guy was completely unprofessional. But I don't know why she withdrew her application. That the guy was asking such questions does suggest that they might have been intending to hire her. If she wanted the job, I would have suggested letting it play out.

SJG

Greatest Rock N Roll Vietnam War Music - 60s and 70s Classic Rock
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZMSKu4…
  • JimGassagain
    6 years ago
    ^^^ SJG, stfu! How do you know so much about employment law in regards to HR management. I thought you worked in engineering/mechanical, so how does someone in your field claim to know so much about a topic you don’t earn a living with? Seems to me you take personal relationships in peoples’ lives as your own personal hobby as a left wing liberal.

Liberals are the most open minded people, unless you disagree with them. Right, SJG?
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ Bacon head, read the link I posted. Anyone with any management training knows about these issues.

Still got my tubs of vinegar and baking soda ready for you.

SJG
  • JimGassagain
    6 years ago
    ^^* Oh yeah, what do you plan to do with your baking soda and vinegar?

STFU, SJnottoughG!
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Watch you dunk your head, alternating between the two.

SJG
  • JimGassagain
    6 years ago
    But I’m too Smart for that, so I’d ask you to model it for me to see how a real pro does it. You seem to know a lot about the topic! Have you done a lot of OTC toda la noche sessions with these materials and your chicas!
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Watching you make an ass of yourself is almost as much fun. You deliver that for free everything you post anything.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion