tuscl

OT: Favorite cut of steak and why

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
To piggyback on @Warrior's recent thread

54 comments

• Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Ribeye, due to the flavor.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    Ribeye as well.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    I just love a Filet Mignon. But if the meat is Wagyu, it doesn't matter what cut it is. Even skirt steak is awesome if it's wagyu !
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    Nothing beats a porterhouse. You get more tenderloin (the filet mignon) and a strip steak. Ribeyes are a close second.
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    Nothing beats a porterhouse. You get more tenderloin (the filet mignon) and a strip steak. Ribeyes are a close second.
  • doctorevil
    6 years ago
    Wagyu is good, but I’m not sure the price is justified. My preference is NY strip.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Ribeye bone in then Porterhouse, either one with a baked potatoe w/butter and sour cream and broccoli or green beans. Fuck man I’m hungry now.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    What the hell is Wagyu?
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I prefer the Filet.... I also prefer to cook it myself. I use a sous vide to get it to temperature then sear in a cast iron skillet. I set sous vide to 127 degrees, sear 1 minute per side in butter.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Also, what term do you like your steak?
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    medium rare for me.... which is 129 degrees internal temp
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I'm a bone-in ribeye guy, second would be a T-bone.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Papi - Wagyu is a variation on kobe. The way the fatten up the calf. You don't want me to tell you what they do. But the meat is fantastic. But the Doc is right, it is expensive.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    And I like mine 127.8 degrees internal temp
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Warty are expensive Japanese steers that are fed grass and massaged daily to ensure a perfect marbling of the fat.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    By term I mean how do you like your steak cooked?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Ducking spell correct Wagyu.
  • DeclineToState
    6 years ago
    New York strip #1 and Filet Mignon #2, and yes you get the best of both worlds with a porterhouse. I trend away from ribeye because while it tastes fantastic going down, it's a belly buster for me afterward (due to high fat content, I suspect).
    Friend of mine is a cattle rancher and insists corn-fed or corn-finished beef has way better flavor (more marbling) than grass fed beef (plus it increases his profits because the cattle gets fatter quicker - me, I can't tell the flavor difference so much.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Now Daddillac is making me hungry
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Ribeye
    New York Strip

With Sauteed Mushroom and grill Asparagus
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Decline your friend the rancher is shitting you just go into a Whole Foods market and buy a half a pound of grass fed chopped meat and buy a half pound of regular corn finished chopped meat same cut, grill both on your gas grill till they are pink inside char outside, the grass fed burger will blow the other away.
  • whodey
    6 years ago
    A nice thick Porterhouse cooked medium-rare because it combines the flavors of both a strip and tenderloin.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I have not grilled a steak since I got the sous vide.... It is my favorite cooking equipment other than my big green egg.

https://anovaculinary.com/

Is the brand I have, I paid about $100 on Amazon
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Boneless rib eye medium rare for normal BBQ or restaurant. Flank steak if I am going to marinate it for Carne Asada.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Ummmm...... 25. I have to respectfully disagree. I grew up a rancher. You put them on grass initially. Then the last 3-4 months, you feed them grain. Either corn or milo. That will do the marbling .
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    I used a technique called warm aging on a 2 inch thick ribeye. When I finished I cut it with a fork
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I agree with 25 for ground beef, but agree with warrior for steaks.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    @daddillac, thanks for that link. I will look into that.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @warrior I have tried this often at my home with friends burgers on the outdoor grill everyone agrees the grass fed beef blows the other out of the cornfield.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    https://stefangourmet.com/2018/04/30/sou…

Link for warm aging... interesting for a food nerd
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    25- I didn't realize you were talking about ground beef. You actually want a little fat in the ground beef. I thought we were talking steak. We are both right.
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    Kobe is a particular breed of cattle and actually trademarked to that beef from Japan. Wagyu covers four breeds, including the kobe breed, but is not limited to Japanese export beef. My wealthy uncle was in Japan visiting his son. He wasnt bothering with currency conversion of dollars to yen, so he just ordered thenkobe steak. The chef left the kitchen to present the steak's pedigree and handling back three generations! He was impressed until he learned how much he spent.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I understand that Kobe steers are given massages and are tied up in such a way that prevents them from walking around.
    It's all about developing the marbling.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    1) Filet Mignon
    2) * Whatever "cut" Top Round packaged and sold as London Broil in grocery stores would be.
    3) Porterhouse

* Wrt London Broil, that is a method of cooking and serving a top round of steak, not the cut itself. I like the method of serving, but if I feel lazy, I'm fine with eating the steak as originally packaged. (Thicker than ribeye, less thick than Filet Mignon.)

I prefer medium (mostly pink center). I find that meat is cooked less than ordered in (too) many cases, so I often order the next higher level than the one that I really want.
  • PaulDrake
    6 years ago
    Yeah sous vide is pretty awesome. So easy and no smell or smoke in the house. I use a map gas blowtorch and just warm the steak in an ice chest with hot water straight from the tap. My hot water heater temp is pretty much perfect right but I am going to buy a circulator one of these days.
  • Smalltowncpl
    6 years ago
    Ribeye all day everyday. Rare, sometimes medium rare. I don't order steaks out a lot because I cook them so much at home. Sear in a HOT iron skillet in a little butter and garlic for about a minute a side then on charcoal grill (never gas) for 5 minutes a side with salt pepper and garlic powder.
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    Ribeye, because of the flavor.
  • londonguy
    6 years ago
    I wonder how they like their meat in southern CA?
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    Filet mignon, medium rare
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Bone in rib-eye, medium rare. Preferably custom cut one inch thick.

Just place the rack down close to the hot coals, then 5 minutes of one side and 4 on the other. Voila. Less on each side if the steak is thinner than 1 inch. I've grilled enough steaks now that I don't need a meat thermometer to know when it's time to flip or when the steak is ready.
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    Porterhouse medium rare
  • lotsoffun201
    6 years ago
    New York Strip charred rare, followed by bone in Rib Eye prepared the same way.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    RARE! just warm it up a bit!!!
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    Lately, I have been grilling skirt and flank steak almost exclusively. I love the flavor that the fat and connective tissue adds to the beef. Five minutes at hogh heat on each side, five minutes of rest, and then cutting thin slices across the grain. That yields beautifully tender medium rare steak. Damn, I'm hungry now ...
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    Filet, Porterhouse, Cowboy Ribeye.

More medium than rare. Preferably sous vide (?), then finish in a cast iron skillet with some garlic and thyme. If I can’t have that, grilled to a sear, then finish away from the coals.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Bone-in Ribeye hands down. Though a rib cap is tasty.

Wagyu means nothing in this country. Maybe they introduced a true wagyu cow 30 generations ago, but it's barely different at this point.

Lots of so called "grass fed" beef is garbage. Less fat = less flavor.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Definition of Rare - Knock his horns off, wipe his ass, and put him on the plate !
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Filet mignon. It's been my favorite since I was like 13.

Wagyu is one of the most expensive beef in the world, same as Kobe. All Kobe is actually Wagyu.
  • OldGringo
    6 years ago
    Filet mignon medium rare. Baked potato with sour cream to accompany it. A nice lobster tail makes it a perfect meal.

Haven't had that in a while. Soon though...
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    George... that sounds good. but I got I to have it rare.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Daddillac, I have also been cooking sous vide for about a year and a half. Best way to cook meat. Also great for corn on the cob.
  • theDirkDiggler
    6 years ago
    I actually prefer short ribs to any steak. Most flavorful part of the bull. Second will probably be tenderloin/filet. Ribeye's actually has too many hard fat sections to work around, otherwise i'd like it more. Then probably striploin/New York strip (fitting for TUSCL). Brisket's underrated.

Wagyu is a type of Japanese cattle (4 breeds) and not a cut, of which Kobe is one brand of one strain (Tajima) of the four breeds (Japanese Black) and is the most famous and expensive. All the "Kobe" beef sold in the US is almost certainly not truly Kobe beef. Just like Champagne, unless it comes from the French city, it's just sparkling wine. Likewise, you will almost never see steaks called Kobe in the US and simply "Wagyu" which are often really unspecified imported Japanese cattle interbred with Angus.

This finished "domestic" product while much fattier and unnecessarily way more expensive (like triple the cost; in Japan it would be closer to ten times the cost) than regular American steaks is no where near the same product you get in Japan. Even the leanest cut (tenderloin/filet) of authentic Kobe steak has way more fat (like pork belly percentage) than the fattiest cut of any American steak, probably brisket or rib.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    Jack, corn on the Cobb amazed me.... I could not believe how good it was.

I did a prime rib for 24 hours that turned out incredible. Omelets are great. I do chicken regularly. I can flavor 5 pieces, 5 different ways, and cook them all perfectly. Food prep for the week is done.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion