tuscl

OT: Last book you read

Call.Me.Ishmael
Rhode Island
What was the last book you read? Fiction or non fiction, or both.

For me, "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Not light or easy reading, but I enjoyed it. Following it with something much lighter, "The Remaining" by D.J. Molles.

Non fiction, "Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World" by Donald Sull & Kathleen Eisenhardt. Just started it, so too soon to say much about it. Before that was "F*ck Feelings" by Michael & Sarah Bennett. Enjoyed it, which should surprise no one.

32 comments

• ime
    7 years ago
    Loved Blood Meridien, my favorite one of his books, and I have read them all.

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Looking at reading "The Road" next, because "Blood Meridian" wasn't quite bleak enough...
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    "Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant"--autobiography of President Grant, focusing especially on the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. Grant was a better writer and a more intelligent and complex man than I expected.
  • Doces300
    7 years ago
    Last 3 books I have read are all non fiction. Sandakan by Lynette Ramsay Silver. If you are looking for bleak and heartbreaking this is your book. Also "As far as my legs will carry me" by Josef W Bauer. A higher call by Adam Wakos
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    I'm typically working through 2-3 books at a time, and reread old faves very often. Currently working on The User Illusion, Eastern Body Western Mind, and The Soul of the Matter.
    Recently finished Infernal Parade, Dark Matter, and Dragon Teeth.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    "TUSCL - The Early Years" by P.L. Founder

"The System" by Rick "the dugan" Dugan
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    The current fiction book I’m reading is “A Dog’s Purpose” - I’ve no interest in seeing the movie.

Non-fiction is “Being a Dog. Following a Dog into a World of Smell” by Alexandra Horowitz.

I’m currently interested in dogs...

Cormac McCarthy is an excellent author. After reading The Road I was quite depressed - as the book isn’t a positive story - but it was a very well told story.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    I hated the movie The Road, and have since written off Cormac McCarthy. Finding satisfaction and happiness in real life is difficult enough, I've no need for depressing escapism as well.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    "Phishing for Phools" The book's somewhere in between economics and psychology. It's about how consumers are manipulated into buying things they don't need.
  • bvino
    7 years ago
    "Attention Merchants" was the last book I read but I read about five a week and mostly non-fiction.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Back in 1968 I read Jeppesen Aviation Weather Textbook by Jeppesen . Other than that I just wait for the movie. I got burned out on reading during my 2 years in Japan with out any TV.
  • Array
    7 years ago
    I’m currently reading Mr. Adam by Pat Frank. It’s a Cold War era science fiction book in which all men in the world are rendered sterile due to a nuclear accident, except for one man named Mr. Adam. (Frank wrote several books on the consequences of nuclear disasters.) This one is somewhat tongue-in-cheek and very light reading. Another Frank book is Alas, Babylon, which is totally serious and somewhat unsettling.

The last book I finished reading was In Search of Schrodinger’s Cat, about quantum physics. Somewhat heavier reading than Mr. Adam, kind of like an M-1 tank is to a matchbox car. I like variety in my reading and my clubbing. Tuscl
  • wildbourbon
    7 years ago
    ESP Wars: East and West--about the government ESP programs both within the United States and Russia. The first 130 pages were kind of a slog but I enjoyed it after that.

I never read fiction--except on TUSCL.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    I recently bought and will soon read Moby Dick for the first time. Seriously. Prior to this I read a collection of short horror stories (for Halloween). I get all my non-fiction from think-tank pieces and articles on the internet rather than books.
  • Electronman
    7 years ago
    Nudge by Thaler (recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economics) and Sunstein
    The God Delusion by Dawkins.
    Hillbilly Elegy by Vance

Like Wildbourbon, I seldom read fiction with the exception of TUSCL.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    "The PL Paradox" - by Juice
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    @BHF.. Hah. Obviously, one of my favorite books.

Thanks guy. I'm picking up some good titles here.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Fiction: Stuart Woods, author. Hothouse Orchid. He writes great fiction and I've read his autobiography. He's a sailor, has done one of the Trans-Atlantic races. Look him up his fiction is often a hilarious look at governmental folly. Non-fiction: Mein Kamph, Hitler's autobiography, pertinent today in many respects.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Don't recall the name right off hand and lent in to a friend, but it was a book written by my brother-in-law.
  • ime
    7 years ago
    Eloquent Javascript. It was a real page turner.
  • larryfisherman
    7 years ago
    I read a book for school a few months ago. I don’t remember what it’s called lol.
  • Book Guy
    7 years ago
    Just zipped through these two classics, both of which are really easy reads but both of which somehow I managed to avoid reading until now:

R. Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
    S. Crane, The Red Badge of Courage

I don't like non-fiction, bores me usually, I should probably work on that.
  • GoVikings
    7 years ago
    book guy

if you had to estimate, how many books have you read in your life?
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    The only book I read is non-fiction. 30 minutes of scripture reading before turning out the lights. King James Version.
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    I didn't know any of us tusclers could read.
  • gawker
    7 years ago
    Just finished “All the Light You Cannot See”. Loved it.

Burlington Ho - If you give up on reading Moby Dick, come to the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA in early January. They have local people read the entire book in the Seaman’s Bethal. Quite an event over 24 or 25 hours.
  • Eve
    7 years ago
    Fiction; Merrick by Anne Rice, one of my all time favorite authors.

Can't remember the last time I've read nonfiction, unless the Japanese-English / English-Japanese dictionary counts.

One of my hobbies includes going to the thrift store where I can take advantage of the 10 for $3 soft cover deal and load my book shelves with new stuff.
  • DandyDan
    7 years ago
    I can't remember the last fiction I read (I think it was Catcher in the rye), but the last nonfiction book was a book about the transportation history of Iowa that I got cheap at the library. I have always found that type of thing interesting.
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    Books? People still read books?
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    I hear Amazon used to be a book company...
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    @gawker... The New Bedford Whaling Museum is fantastic!
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Book recommendations for,

@JohnSmith : "Midlife Crisis: Storm before the calm"
    https://www.amazon.com/Midlife-Crisis-St…

@Dugan: "What do do when your family can't afford health insurance"
    https://www.amazon.com/What-Family-Affor…

@Dougster: "Bitcoin for DUmmies"
    https://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Dummies-B…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion