tuscl

Rock and Roll HOF 2016 inductees....

Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steve Miller, and N.W.A.........N.W.A. ?

20 comments

• rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple FINALLY made it! Glad to see Cheap Trick made it too.
  • IHearVoices
    9 years ago
    Straight Into Cleveland.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    NWA is probably only ones in that list that should get in, they are an imprtant part of what helped bring Hip Hop to prominence.

The other bands surely sold many records but are not important really.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I've always liked NWA, well, for their Attitude. And I'm done stuff myself, no music, that plays on their name.

SJG
  • samsung1
    9 years ago
    I wonder if any of them will be clubbing in cleveland area.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple had the single greatest guitar riff in history, at least until the White Stripes came along. NWA are rap innovators. Cheap Trick had some influence on a good number of bands. I'm sure Chicago and Steve Miller sold a lot of records. It seems to me they all killed it on one level to earn Rock Hall election.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    Nwa was awesome. And in some parallel universe, maybe, their music is considered rock and roll, maybe by beings whose females have multiple vaginas and males have penises on their hands. In this universe, it's not. But the r&r hall of fame is a self-parodying joke, so they consider rap to be rock and rock. Totes whatevs
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

I agree. NWA is not rock and roll.

If they want to rename it the "Music" hall of fame, then fine, no problem.

But they sure have bastardized the criteria to be inducted under the so called "rock and roll" it seems.p
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I always enjoyed NWA"S awesome guitar playing
  • ime
    9 years ago
    It's the rock n roll hof in name only, it has tons of pop and other stuff in it, it's a total joke.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Is there anyone who's not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame?
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    jackslash: I don't think Judas Priest is in. The hair bands that followed them all lacked the musicianship of Priest in a post-blues metal style they innovated. Plus they have a huge following even today, and sold a zillion records, plus had radio hits. I think it's time they got in.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I think the whole thing is a joke anymore. Eric Clapton is in 3 times. I love him - but they run out of new acts to keep it going every year.

Nolan Ryan played for multiple teams but the baseball HOF doesn't induct him for every team.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Regarding NWA. I think we just need to accept that the name "Rock and Roll" doesn't really mean anything. It is just a music HOF.

There are already a lot of "pre-rock era" influencers that are in

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    NWA is from so long back. I don't think young people today would even know of them. But they have had a big influence.

I also like 2 Live Crew.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m898Eoq…

The way I look at it is that this is just more of Norman Mailer's The White Negro.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_…

What is different is that today it is blacks who are doing it themselves.

And then as far as the music, if you are going to do it with sampling synths and sequencers, then this is how it is going to go.

I see two predecessors for the musical style:

1. Ornette Coleman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0y…

2. Charles Mingus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXuZBywW…

And then when you make the instrumentals bass led, that leaves more spectral space for vocals.

SJG
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    "Face down! Ass up! This is the way we like to fuck!" NWA...
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ Sorry I got 2 Live Crew songs in my head, not NWA.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Nice point motorhead about Nolan Ryan. In music I'd say you can get in as part of a band, and as a solo act, but either way, when you're in, you're in. Ritchie Blackmore could be in for Deep Purple, Rainbow and Blackmore's Night, not to mention as an individual for all the tapping innovation that influenced Randy Rhodes and those who followed. But really? Does he deserve his own wing? I think once is plenty.

Ken
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    Since when were Chicago a rock and roll band?
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    The HOF has become a joke. Deep purple is FINALLY getting in but it took too long, just like it did with Black Sabbath. The HOF claims to be for music but yet there are many progressive, alternative and heavy metal/hard rock artists not in. The odd thing is most of the biggest acts of these subgenres aren't in yet people not rock and roll are going in.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion