Another list...

Clubber
Florida
After seeing sflguy's "Future HOFer Troy Polamalu retires" topic, it got me thinking of all the great or near great that DIDN'T hang them up, and to me, diminished their careers.

I'll start with one recent one, Favre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpmBlQk…

17 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Johnny Unitas comes to mind, Junior Seau is another....
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    The Rolling Stones also......
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    If "diminished their careers" is the criterion then I won't say Michael Jordan, because his career wasn't affected by his final years with Charlotte. Pretty much every great athlete had bad final years.

Taking a cue from Mikeya02, I'll say Eric Clapton. He didn't do squat since Cream.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Actually, though it's sad to say, I think Clapton improved a great deal after his son died.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Switching to baseball, Willie Mays. Watching him fall down trying to catch a fly ball with the Mets was sad.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    Clapton post cream is still a great guitarist, but his voice is annoying.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    I don't know that it diminishes their career's, but a few guys I remember seeing playing well past their prime were Emmit Smith's as a Cardinal, Jerry Rice as a Seahawk. Alonzo Mourning & Shaq were both hard to watch at the end too
  • chessmaster
    10 years ago
    Recently, Steve Nash. Should have retired with the suns. Instead he will be forever associated with that train wreck of a season the Lakers had.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Good thing Juicebox69 had the sense to hang'em up before he became a pale imitation of himself....lol
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I'm gonna have to go with my childhood hero Michael Jordan. He had the perfect ending with the Bulls, hitting the game winning shot in the Finals to win his 6th championship. When I heard he was coming back to play on the Wizards, I was screaming through the TV, "Please don't it MJ!!!". He played decent in Washington, but it was nothing like the old MJ we were accustomed to.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Namath. Me, I wouldn't include him since he wasn't a "great"!

A very sad image was in '64, interestingly involving the Steelers. Y. A. Tittle in the end zone.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sour…

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    All good picks. The most obvious tho is Ali. Painful to watch him get whupped.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Lucille Ball.

After her classic, each subsequent series got progressively worse.

"Life With Lucy" lasted only 8 episodes
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    You could throw injuries into the mix and really compile a list. Two that come to mind, Bo Jackson and Ray Leonard.
  • minnow
    10 years ago
    I'll agree with ranukams choice of Michael Jordan. Not so much that his time playing for the Wizards didn't compare to his time with the Bulls. (wasn't really bad to watch either). The thing is, he had a glorious ending with the Bulls, hitting a game winning shot in the Finals. THAT is the way so many players wish to play their last game. Anything after that pales in comparison.
    OT, I like how John Elway retired after winning his second Super Bowl.
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    Seeing Dolfan in a strip club past his prime, that's pretty sad. But then again he was never in his prime to being with.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion