tuscl

Canada to Clamp Down on Prostitution?

Canada is proposing to make both the sale and purchase of sex illegal to crack down on "perpetrators and perverts":

http://online.wsj.com/articles/canada-pr…

It looks like Norway is also moving to make the sale of sex illegal whereas only the purchase was illegal until now. (In Sweden only the purchase of sex is illegal - not the sale.)

8 comments

• londonguy
    10 years ago
    They are trying to make the purchase of sex illegal here too. They may as well try and nail jello to a tree. Idiots.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @LG-Hahahahaha!
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Prostitution is illegal in Detroit.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Dougster, you do realize that WSJ articles require log-in access in order to view, no? Now a failed Gordon Gekko type like myself is, of course, a subscriber ;) - but others around here might not be.

Here is a link to an article that doesn't require a username and password to access: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/…
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    "perpetrators and perverts"

Juice, Juice, Juice !!!!
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    So Canadian citizens will have their tax dollars spent to send someone to jail for 5 years for giving a woman a few bucks for a BJ. And is 5 years in jail really an appropriate punishment for that? Since when did the Tea Party invade Canada anyway?
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Crass party politics smear this issue from top to bottom. A federal election is looming in Canada and Prime Minister Harper and his Conservative party are in serious trouble according to all opinion polls. (One of Pierre Trudeau's sons is now the leader of the Liberal party and this son seems to have inherited some of his dad's political smarts.) This is just an attempt by Harper to shore up the support of his core right wing base.

This is not an issue that resonates across Canada. Even in right wing Alberta, where I live, this is not an issue that ever comes up in political discussions. In the big eastern cities and in Vancouver this will do much more harm than good for the Conservatives.

It happens that I am in Ottawa at the moment and the topic was all over the local media last evening and was even the major topic of discussion in the convivial wine bar where I spent my evening. One thing that is a 100% certainty......if this bill passes into law there will be charter challenges to the constitutionality of the new law very soon after the first charges are laid.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Art-Now that you said your piece, wait for your detractors on this board to attack you.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion