tuscl

Sochi 2014

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Friday, January 31, 2014 4:03 PM
The Winter Olympics begin in less than a week. I don't care. Am I wrong? I'm a big sports fan and the Summer Games are perhaps my favorite sporting event, but I just have trouble getting excited over something that involves snow.

32 comments

• tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see Putin do the downhill shirtless.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    I'm afraid for our athletes and what possible problems they may face.
  • sofaking87
    10 years ago
    I'm stoked! I can't wait to see the Canadian Gold for Hockey, and Jamaica getting gold for the bobsled! Lol! Seriously, I'm curious to see how bad Russia is going to screw it up.
  • sofaking87
    10 years ago
    I'm stoked! I can't wait to see the Canadian Gold for Hockey, and Jamaica getting gold for the bobsled! Lol! Seriously, I'm curious to see how bad Russia is going to screw it up.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @Motorhead: I'm just the opposite. I love the Winter Games, but the Summer ones hold little interest.
  • fun12times12
    10 years ago
    I am looking forward to luge and bobsled. That and curling. Don't understand curling at all but watch it all the time.
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    Nothing better than luge and hand grenades.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I didn't mind watching the girls play beach volleyball in the summer. I have watched snowboarding competitions in the winter. I'm wondering if Russia will make money on the games after spending $50 billion. Will enough people show up?
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    I’m not too much into the Winter games either – the summer/warm-weather sports are the most popular ones for most Americans. Off the top of my head (the large one); I would say I like speed skating and downhill skiing a bit – I would tune in to watch speed skating but would watch downhill skiing and a few others if I happen to be watching TV at the time. In the summer Olympics; I LOVE track and field especially the sprints.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    I love watching the nordic women curling. Damn they are often very cute. My friends give me major shit about liking curling but I don't care what they say. CURLING IS THE SHIT!!!!
  • PredragDr
    10 years ago
    Is anybody going? I went in 2010, but the distance and state department warnings have dissuaded me from going to Sochi. Hockey, luge, skeleton and bobsled are my favs. There are also some surprising babes in curling.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I won't be watching any.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    @lopaw, Alberta's SCs are no draw for a hardcore monger like you. How about our curling clubs? I could take you on a tour of Alberta's curling clubs, from Calgary's Winter Club to Edmonton's Ottewell Club to the funky little 2-sheeter in the hamlet nearest to Rancho farmerart. Curling is an important part of western Canada's culture. The curling rink is often the social centre of tiny rural communities that struggle to survive the depopulation of the countryside.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    I'll be watching, as long as it's not figure skating. And I love curling, too. It's too bad they decide to show it on TV only during the Winter Olympics. How hard is throwing a rock down a sheet of ice, anyway? I personally hope they make Putin re-enact the luge ride of that one guy from the 2010 Winter Olympics. BTW, considering they don't have gay rights there, I wonder if Putin will love the biathletes.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Dandy: It is surprisingly difficult to slide a 40-lb rock down the ice with just the right velocity and just the right amount of spin to curl around behind an opponent's guard rock. It doesn't end there. The sweepers control the speed and direction of the rock within limits by slightly melting the ice in front of the rock. By sweeping on one side of the rocks path, it steers the rock away. And don't ever make contact with the rock because that will require you to immediately stop the rock and take it out of play. All of this is done while sliding down the ice, avoiding falling on your ass and listening to the "Skip's" directions. There is also strategy, both tactical (for instance how you set a guard rock or how you avoid one) and strategic (say, protecting a lead by holding on to the privilege of last rock in an end). All of the skills, both physical and mental, required to play this game make it the hardest one to play and win at the world level.
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    Or Slalom with snow side IED's.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Forget the Olympics. Do they still brew Olympia beer?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    There's a Mexican girl named pronounced Sochi but spelled Xochitl. Sometimes it gets the long spelling of Xochitlmilco. I think it's Aztec for light skinned hoe with a big butt. Every Xochitl I grew up with was light skinned with a big butt.
  • jabthehut
    10 years ago
    I'll be watching just about everything but men's figure skating. I'll leave that for txtitty and alucard to cheer on. I've been watching a lot of the winter sports on NBC, NBCSN, and Universal Sports. Saw all of the World Cup races for luge, skeleton, and bobsled.
  • Tyres
    10 years ago
    I've always liked the Winter Olympics more. Hockey is my overall favorite Olympic sport, and skiing, bobsled, etc. are more interesting to me than track and field. Plus there are better things to do in the summer than watch amateur athletics on t.v.
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    Thought you guys couldn't wait to beat the shit out of the Commies in Ice Hockey?
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    @ATACdawg- I only meant that as a rhetorical question. I never actually did curling ever, but that's one of those sports where you think you can do it, and do it well.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Only with YEARS of practice, a stable team and a lot of travel. Like any sport, it's not hard to play, but it's hard to play it really well. Have you noticed how pretty much every game originating in Scotland involves hefting heavy objects?
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    @farmerart I have never had the pleasure of visiting an actual curling club. I fantasize that they are filled with hot blond nordic women that I can help keep warm as they await their turn to gently deliver the rock. I will gladly take you up on your generous offer of a tour, should I ever find myself in your neck-o-the-woods.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Lopaw-You'll sure dig the ladies up North. They were flannel. And drive Jeeps.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    Lol Slick - but I'll bet it's way too cold up there for Birkenstock's :)
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Throw your UGGS on.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Lopaw: there are a lot of women in curling clubs, but they tend to be middle aged and married. That said, there are certainly exceptions. One thing curling clubs typically have is a glassed in bar/lounge on one or two sides of the ice sheets, so it's easy to stay on top of the game while being warm and well lubed!
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    I am a fan of BOTH the Summer & Winter Olympics.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    ^^^ Oh, no! The board's worst faggot's back!
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Per Travelocity Atlanta to Sochi takes 20 hours and 50 minutes with stops in Frankfort and Moscow. Cheapest round trip fare is $3,431.09. No than you!
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Look up Russian womens curling.... those chicks are HOT!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion