tuscl

Interesting mix

AbbieNormal
Maryland
Thursday, October 6, 2005 4:08 AM
I've noticed this board seems to have an interesting mix of people. In this country that usually refers to your profession. We have at least one attorney, a few retired, a female engineer, a stripper/student, and a lot of unknowns. Just out of curiosity what is your job? I know we're all boobie inspectors at heart, but if you're willing, share with the group. Me, I'm a research scientist. Mostly physics/astronomy, but I do a lot of programming and statistics.

20 comments

• easyed14
    19 years ago
    I am a Program Manager of Construction Projects for a large Municipal Government in So. California. I have a Business Degree with several years experience in construction trades. I also spent several years as a Materiels Manager in aerospace.
  • ShotDisc
    19 years ago
    sales manager
  • nj_pete
    19 years ago
    IRS field auditer and examiner from the unclaimed income division. This way I write off all my SC trips. Ok Just kidding, voice telecommunications project manager for an international company. Meaning I oversee the installation of large business phone systems and the like. Travel a bit and find that sitting in a strip club having a drink is better than sitting in the hotel bar and having a drink. College degree in business, but I'm technical in nature. Great topic by the way.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    I guess I am the oddball in the bunch here, as I work for a pharmaceutical company as an order filler. I fill orders for pharmacies. I tell everyone I am a drug dealer. Of course, if I had bothered to complete college, I would have probably been a computer geek of some kind.
  • JC2003
    19 years ago
    Professional computer geek here
  • GooberMan
    19 years ago
    NASA Space Station Mechanical Engineer
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    Don't forget, there's a difference between the percentage of engineers among strip club customers and among strip club board posters. You can see the engineer mentality at work online in the cumpusion for jargony abbreviations and intitialisms (thankfully not too rampant around here) and numerical ratings.
  • SuperDude
    19 years ago
    Retired U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, now business consultant and writer.
  • metaldude
    19 years ago
    I am the owner of a small to medium size manufacturing company. I don't have a degree, but interstingly enough when I meet new people, not just in SC's, they always ask if I'm an engineer or a lawyer. I guess there's someting to it.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    I'm a live sound engineer or "mixer" for musical, entertainment, and corporate events. In my field the word "engineer" can be a bit of a missnomer as no actual certification is required in most states to use the term. People in my business tend to spend a lot of time on the road and strip clubs are a fairly common place for men in strange cities to hang out....works for me!
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    Actually I often go to clubs when I travel to professional meetings and conferences. I always see other conference participants in the clubs I hit.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    Hmmm... Are engineers socially inept. Seems to me there has been a comic strip about that for a few years called Dilbert (and also a short lived TV show). As a science geek myself I tend to find a certain ammount of truth in that stereotype. Not that it applies to me of course... I'm witty and charming as can be. I remember in grad school Dilbert was especially popular among my peers. One in particular was a meeting to organize a group to fight stereotypes of scientists and engineers. Dilbert asked for volunteers for president, secretary, etc with no takers. When he asked for volunteers to run the AV equiptment all hands went up. Some stereotypes are just too accurate. We've even taken strip clubs and made it into a computer related activity.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    Ten years ago on Usenet, the strip club group was so dominated by engineers and computer geeks, the question wasn't what is your job but what field of engineering are you in.
  • lopaw
    19 years ago
    FONDL, I fear that your observations may be true. Just the other day my male engineering buddies & I were at our local dive SC, drinking beer and trying to be charming with the ladies. At one point I stopped for a minute and looked around at my dysfunctional (but lovable) little group and thought, "my God...these people have absolutely no social skills with women AT ALL." Of course I did not include myself in that assessment (!). If it wasn't so damn sad it would have been funny.
  • baddy
    19 years ago
    freelance web developer.
  • tropicalH2O
    19 years ago
    I'm a nurse with advanced training (MS degree almost complete), massage therapist, eastern medicine practitioner, single mom, part-time dancer. -T
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    Advertising creative director and copywriter, semi-retired.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I started life as an engineer, then moved into a wide variety of middle management positions in several large corporations before retiring. Which raises an interesting question - I've always been under the impression that engineers are over represented as customers in strip clubs, possibly because some of us are or at least used to be somewhat personality challenged and as a result maybe didn't do as well with chicks early in life as we would have liked. Any opinions on this impression? I have absolutely no evidence to support it.
  • travelingthrough
    19 years ago
    In simplest terms, I'm a computer mechanic. When they break, I fix them... (I do all the early stuff too, like setup, training, upgrades, etc.. but mostly I just deal with the SNAFUs.)
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    Damn Shadowcat, I used to like you... At least I have a name to curse next time I'm going through Dallas or O'Hare.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion