tuscl

Real World vs. tuscl World

Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:04 AM
The catastrophic Alberta floods this past week got me thinking about this topic. I was so busy with volunteering with the flood clean-up that I didn't even log on to tuscl for about a week. When I finally did log on to tuscl again I enjoyed the relief of losing myself in the fantasy world of tuscl's discussions, reviews, and articles. I have many other interests besides tuscl outside of my daily work life but none of those interests are as completely divorced from reality as is the tuscl world of SCs, dancers, and PLs like me. I appreciate tuscl even more now but at the same time I shake my head at the utter frivolity of our hobby.

12 comments

• gk
    11 years ago
    Good point Farmerart. I have not been participating in this hobby or in TUSCL much lately either because my other life activities and obligations have been pressing me for time. But eventually weariness and the need to escape brings one back to TUSCL. Where else can we find the erudite and and idiotic in the same form with a common interest? Ironic isn't it that this frivolity is real work for the dancers, although not in the real world.
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    That's deep
  • gk
    11 years ago
    Ahem, that would be forum, not form in the previous comment, But perhaps form is a big part of this hobby in another context. i just appreciate all the variations, unlike some who are so obsesssd on one physical characteristic that they can't appreciate the many differeent variatins of women. Did I mention that I'm an ass man from way back Wait a minute...
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    I am on here because I like to talk about girls, government, and trivia. I really don't expect much on here, but it passes some time between projects in the real world!
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    Good point GK, dancers and their kids eat from this, so not frivolous in that way.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    I think "frivolous" can probably be used when you're talking about most hobbies.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Let me play the Devil's Advicate. Maybe most hobbies are not "frivolous". From cycling to surfing to skiing to scing, millions and more are made and livelihood's sustained, because of hobbies. Surfing alone rakes in multi-millions from apparel, contests, boards, travel and hospitality/service industry, multimedia, and related infrastructure(fuel, maintenance, construction, etc.). With so much at stake, Hobbies may not be so frivolous after all.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    I'm with Spic. But it is not too surprising that a humorless, anhedonistic depressed type like the jestie-girl should label hobbies ad humorless. The jestie-girl is only able to get minimal pleasure out of life, can only laugh if it is via the hateful expense of others. He is resentful of those who can enjoy things and seeks to demean others who are able to enjoy things as merely engaged in frivolousness. The guy seriously needs to lighten the fuck up.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    @slick, if you carry that logic far enough then nothing is frivolous. But my point was simply that to shake your head at this simply for being frivolous is to shake your head at most hobbies or any leisure activity for that matter.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I know some dudes who risk life and limb surfing big waves. I'd never surf those waves. But there is zero frivolity with these cats. Serious dudes.
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    I feel opposite of how you feel farmerant. When I was away from tuscl for a time being and came back, I felt a temporary incline to visit a strip club after reading a thread or two. Afterwards, my interest int the expensive hobby fades. Perhaps because im young and have so many other responsibilities to accommodate with or just because im the young ankle deep pupil trying to converse with men who've indulged in the hobby for several years and I cant relate with them in the same manner. All I know is I've been less inclined to go scing again once I came back.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    gk- Every forum I've ever been on has both the idiotic and erudite talking about whatever the topic of choice is, sometimes both at once. It's the nature of the internet. And everything seems frivolous to somebody. OTOH, frivolity makes life fun.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion