tuscl

O.T. My City Is Under Water

Calgary, where my company's offices are located, is under water. Catastrophic rains and snow melt from the Rockies have caused the two rivers running through Calgary to explode over their banks. The city's central business district and over 100,000 people living on the flood plains of the Bow and Elbow Rivers are under mandatory evacuation order. I have told all my office employees to stay home next week (on full pay). We will attempt to do what we can from our homes. I have offered accommodation at my farm to three of my employees who are under the mandatory evacuation order.

Stampede Park, home of The Calgary Stampede is under 1-2m of water suggesting that the Stampede may not take place in two weeks. The big NHL arena is flooded up to Row 17 of the seating bowl and the Jumbotron which was resting on the floor for the summer is now destroyed.

I have seen funky weather all over the world during my oil patch career but this catastrophe in my own stomping grounds is the worst weather disaster that I have ever experienced.

Two of Calgary's three SCs are affected by this flooding. Calgary's SCs are among the continent's lamest clubs but even the world's worst SC doesn't really deserve all this.

23 comments

• sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I saw pictures today. 100,000 flee Calgary was the statement. I was thinking, where is that? Rockies I guess.
    Sorry to hear you were affected. It looked really bad with the pictures I saw.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    If you live near a major river, this is always a possibility.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Art - I have been following the story and was glad to hear that Edmonton was not affected. Stay home and stay safe.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/can…
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Anything the average Joe can do to help? Any relief organizations that you recommend, Art?
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Our hearts go out to you.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    Sorry to hear that art. Not a bad excuse to visit your Toronto sweetie.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I've been to Calgary twice. Once to evaluate three public schools and once on vacation touring the Canadian Rockies - up to Banff etc. I was so impressed with the city and its inhabitants. I came away with an impression of citizens who are self sufficient and hardy. Hopefully the city and its people will rebound quickly.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    This is terrible news. You and your employees stay safe!
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    Shit......I give you my prayers
  • Lone_Wolf
    11 years ago
    Jeez, just opened CNN to read more about the floods and see "Food Network drops Paula Deen" as the top story instead of the floods.

Seriously though, it sounds like a mess. I hope things get back to normal asap.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Sorry to hear that art. Hope everyone is safe now. I have been evacuated before for 5 days and it is not fun...I feel for you and your crew
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    I'm so sorry to hear that man. Anything us Americans can do to help out?
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    It's funny how just some weeks ago, I was watching An Inconvenient Truth about Al Gore's Global Warming presentation and now it really seems like the environment is going that way of flooding. The apocalyptic and christian conspirators must be foaming at the mouth about this.
  • vincemichaels
    11 years ago
    Best of luck to you and yours, Art.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @Estafador-Th Christians that actually know the Bible won't worry about flooding. YWHW said that he'd never flood the Earth again. The next punishment will be fire. California and Colorado are always burning. Maybe theses wildfires are a sign of things to come...Who knows? Not me.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    The destruction in Calgary is terrible but I don't hear any whining nor do I here any whining from Oklahoma. That is the difference between government dependency (the soviet state of California, Colorado and Eastern US) and the places left in North America that personal responsibility is foremost. The flooding in North Dakota a while back was devastating but the people of Minot did not whine they repaired and went back to work. I suspect Calgary will do the same despite government interference disguised as help.

If government is the answer it must have been a really stupid question!
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Everything's an opportunity for an anti-government rant, if you spend just a few moments looking for the angle, ain't it, TT?

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @Tiredtraveller-I agree with most of what you said. I do wanna know how a regular citizen can fight a wildfire? I know how we can come together and help rebuild as a community.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "(the soviet state of California, Colorado and Eastern US)"

I'm sure the US citizens of those places would be GREATLY surprised to discover that they are a part of the defunct USSR! I'm thinking you might be a descendant of - or a reincarnation of Joseph McCarthy. LOL
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Some of my boys and I decided that we had to do something to help. We brought some of our tankers and flat beds plus 6 of our diesel generators into Calgary and offered them and our labour to the authorities.

The authorities sent the tankers and generators to a smaller town south of Calgary that is in rougher shape than Calgary. That town is almost 100% under water. Our generators will be of great use there as will our tankers' ability to haul in potable water.

I drove into Calgary with my welding unit and my tools. Authorities kept me in Calgary to use me as a roving repair welder and diesel mechanic. I just completed my first assignment, welding the bucket on a front end loader that was moving moving muck and debris from a major road.

Taking a break waiting for my next assignment. This is some freaky shit happening in Calgary and southern Alberta.

SCs are not on my agenda any time soon but reading the entertainment on tuscl right now is nice light relief from the horrors that I am seeing all around me. Keep those hilarious reviews and other posts coming.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Art, one word: Awesome.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Art-Thanks for setting the example of how a man should be.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Yes, good work helping out! I knew a few people who lived there in years past. Also been there a few times myself (including for the Stampede). Great little town.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion