tuscl

Marry? Yes or no?

Clubber
Florida
sharkhunter mentioned in another topic, "My older brother told me if he had to do it over again, he would have never gotten married."

Made me think. Now this is mostly for the older TUSCLers that are or have been married.

Knowing what you know now, would you have married? If divorced or widowed, would you ever marry again?

I'll go first. Started going with my SO when she was 16. Been together ever since. I wouldn't.

40 comments

• Dougster
    11 years ago
    The married people I know, both male and female, are split about 50/50 on whether or not they think it is a good idea.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I wad married for 27 horrible years but got 2 great kids out of it. At 71 years old there is no point in ever getting married again. I'm not going to raise any more children and I prefer to live alone.
  • lopaw
    11 years ago
    As much as I love my SO if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. I really believe that human beings are not monogamous by nature.
  • Player11
    11 years ago
    I would have not gotten married like I did at 24. I would have found a stripper whore to fuck for about 6 yr and not gotten married unless gal was rich or a really good fuck.

If my marriage ended today, no would not marry again. Just wanna do stripper and SA whores.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I've been married for 43 years. After 25 years I left. My lawyer said I'd be living in a trailer if I was lucky. My wife said, come back, do what you've got to do, but don't rub my nose in it. I have two wonderful kids that I'm immensely proud of. Now, my wife has Alzheimers, I'm a caretaker and enjoy time with my ATF stripper. Would I do it again? Yes.
  • looneylarry
    11 years ago
    Knowing what I know now, hell no, I wouldn't have gotten married.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    sc,

Your story is pretty well known here. :)
  • WOODDR2
    11 years ago
    I do love my wife and parts of my life are better. With that said I would not do it again if I had the chance, she would probably say the same I imagine. My son is great, by far the best thing to come from marriage.
  • rh48hr
    11 years ago
    I'm still on the young end of most guys here. But i don't see myself getting married again. I have four wonderful kids out of the marriage so i wouldn't change the fact I got married the first time. I just hope I'm smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    Uh... Is it weird that I still want to get married?
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    No duo...just choose carefully
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    I married at 21 and divorced in my 50's. I have 2 adult kids.

If I were young, I would consider getting married again--but to a different type of woman.

Since I'm in my 60's, I have no desire to marry. Women who are around my age have no appeal--they look like my grandmother! Young women would not want to marry me unless they were gold diggers.

I realize that my view of women of my age is unfair and sexist. But I cannot even imagine having sex with them. Strippers give me exactly what I want.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    I want to get married by 30. I got 5 years to go, but I'm definitely not excited about marriage due to all the bad things I've heard from my friends that are married.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I never married. I wish I had done so. I would have liked to have been a father but I would probably have been a failure as a husband. Much too late in my life to do anything about it now.
  • Dain
    11 years ago
    I want to express my admiration for the gentlemen (and two women) who posted here--their honesty with themselves and with the rest of us.
  • she_is_covfefe
    11 years ago
    To my first husband? NO WAY!!!!

My current one? HELL YEAH!!!!!
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    At my age you only wed for the kids sake,since she can't have kids,hell to the no.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Never been married and l love being an uncle. I can give back the kids when they annoy me. I also created a life where my only responsibility was me. I could live the life I chose. Then 2009 hit and everything changed.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Okay!What is the deal with 2009?
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I like living alone.
    But...

I miss help around the house.
    I miss a traveling companion.
    I miss a dinner companion.
    I sometimes miss having kids.
    I sometimes regret the money I've spent on strippers

I don't know what is better or worse

• GoVikings
    11 years ago
    I'm 27 and have never been married, but I think I'd like to one day. I just can't picture it being fun to live alone for all those years without a companion.

A really good friend of mine has been married for slightly over a year now. Young couple. Both of them are only 24 years old. I know for sure they're in a good marriage. But they dated for 7 years before they got married and both went to college and got good jobs- so they're financial stable.

I think those are main two reasons so many marriages don't work out. People either rush into marriage too soon and don't realize they aren't ready( marriage is a HUGE commitment)yet OR they simply don't make enough money and that ends up causing problems in the relationship.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Vikings: "OR they simply don't make enough money and that ends up causing problems in the relationship"

Sounds like NukeyBoyNukem would be wise not to marry then.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    I'd like to get married by 35, as long as I really find the right woman. It's really got to be more than just looks though for me, I couldn't marry a dumb girl, or one that has no ambitions of her own.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Wife, "If I died now, would you remarry?"
    Husband, "I think so, I'm young and have a lot of life left."
    Wife, "if you did remarry, would you let her live in my house?"
    Husband, "Yes. We both love our home and I would not wish to leave it."
    Wife, "Would you let her sleep in my bed?"
    Husband, "I would. I love our bed and have great memories with you in it."
    Wife, "Would you let her use my golf clubs?"
    Husband, "No, she's left handed."
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    LMFASO!Clubber new found respect.
  • Otto22
    11 years ago
    Been married to the same woman for 44 years. Never considered divorce. Murder, yes, but divorce no.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    I'm torn on marriage. High divorce rate, many unhappy marriages held together only for the sake of children, very few marriages with a long lasting love and respect...

But I too like the idea of having a companion. And given my age and economic situation some of the problems that plague many marriages wouldn't really be much of an issue. And I would like to have children though I have nieces and nephews already and would be content just being an uncle.

I can also admit that I find it doubtful that after 10 or 15 or 20 years with someone that I would still be sexually attracted to them.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    “… If I were young, I would consider getting married again--but to a different type of woman …”

A while back I was watching Charlie Rose and he had a guest journalist from the NY times. The journalist had been doing a documentary piece on the “greatest generation” folks (older folks).

They all had many things in common but one thing that surprised the journalist, and myself also, is that many of them stated that they thought they had married the wrong person. This kind of caught me by surprise and I wonder if it’s a “grass is greener on the other side” kind of thing?
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    I agree papi. I would marry a different type - not wacko!
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    I'm divorced and I will never get married again.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I feel VERY sorry for those spouses or S.O. that have been betrayed by the infidelity of their disloyal partners. If you can't remain loyal throughout the relationship, DON'T get seriously involved.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I'm not ruling out getting married. I'm just not going to rush into anything. 40 to 50% of marriages may end in divorce. No sense in wasting time and money in a marriage that won't last. Although if I wait another 20 years, I think I will just forget about it.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Alucard, do you feel sorry for the spouses and SO's of the women you pay to fuck you?
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    And I feel sorry for alutard, in that marriage was never an option for his psycho ass, so this is all an hypothetical discussion to him. Not that will prevent him from charging at his windmills of course. Go, alutard, go!
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Sick liver - yeah, no shit you won't get married again if you are going to focus all your effort on getting play out if lesbians. But, hey, nobody ever accused you of being smart!
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    Like most things in life, marriage is a crap shoot.

Never been married, not motivated to have kids... don't see myself rolling the dice.
  • inno123
    11 years ago
    I am recently widowed. Marriage let me raise two children in a stable household where they knew and we knew that we were going to be there even when it might be easier to leave. And yes, there were many times when it would have been easier to leave, particularly when the cancer diagnosis happened. But I now know that I can handle the big leagues of relationship challenges.

But will I do it again now? Not sure, but since I really know what it can entail, not just in the abstract, it is .
  • rh48hr
    11 years ago
    Nothing is guaranteed. I didn't get married right away because I wanted to make sure i had the right woman. And she was ... until her bi-polar disorder kicked in two years into the marriage. You never know what life will throw you. If that hadn't happened i would probably still be married. We got along really well. She asked for the divorce not me. Now it's great not be tethered to someone. I have my kids and that's all i really need.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    An old man in Miami calls up his son in New York and says, "Listen, your mother and I are getting divorced. Forty-five years of misery is enough."

"Dad, what a...re you talking about?" the son screams.

"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," he says. "I'm sick of her face, and I'm sick of talking about this, so call your sister in Chicago and tell her," and he hangs up.

Now, the son is worried. So he calls up his sister. She says, "Like hell they're getting divorced!" and calls her father immediately. "You're not getting divorced! Don't do another thing, the two of us are flying home tomorrow to talk about this. Until then, don't call a lawyer, don't file a paper, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and she hangs up.

The old man turns to his wife and says "Okay, they're coming for Christmas and paying their own airfares."
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    If I could have the same type of marriage I have now, yeah. If for some reason I couldn't marry my current wife, I think it'd be hard to find someone as good as her. If, gods forbid, something should happen to her, I would t be closed to the possibility, but I suspect it's be difficult to find someone as willing to out up with my shit.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion