tuscl

Strip club tax goes to the Illinois Governors Desk

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:02 PM
From the Chicago Sun Times May 31, 2012 Strip clubs are one step away from facing a $3-per-customer tax after lawmakers voted to send a measure to Gov. Pat Quinn's desk on Thursday that would help fund sexual assault services. The bill, which passed 92-23 in the state House, would impose a fee on adult entertainment venues that amounts to $3 per customer or $5,000 to $25,000 a year, depending on a club's receipts and which method of payment the club chooses. Chief sponsor Rep. Sara Feigenholtz (D-Chicago) said the bill, which would apply to clubs that feature nude dancing and serve alcohol or permit its consumption, is an attempt to cut down on the “secondary negative effects associated with sexually-oriented businesses.” However, Rep. Jason Barickman, (R-Pontiac) decried the tax and criticized Democrats for wanting to impose the measure in the wake of a partisan budget vote Wednesday night. “Not 24 hours after you passed the budget, you turn around and ask taxpayers for more money,” he said. “When does it stop?” The bill passed without opposition in the Senate last week, when chief sponsor Sen. Toi Hutchinson (D-Olympia Fields) gave an emotional appeal to colleagues about mitigating sexual violence in Illinois. The bill is House Bill 1645

9 comments

• Roman71
    12 years ago
    Here is the bill [view link] I think it is BS that the state wants to collect a tax, it will hurt the clubs and hit hard in the wallets of the customers. I can see some clubs going non alcoholic to get around this law.
  • Rabbit21
    12 years ago
    Ir's a sin tax. No more no less. Easy to impose AA no real opposition gets drummed up. And if bison eases shit their doors the lost revenue is made up by the positive pr. Welco w to short term thinking 101 aka how politicians buy votes.
  • thesamurai
    12 years ago
    92-23? Where are all the republicans who are supposed to fight taxes?
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    I don't think the $3 is a big deal. Booze, cigarettes, gasoline are already taxed - what else? Customers are likely to spend 50 times or more than that on drinks and dances. But it's the linking the tax to the "secondary effects" of strip clubs that bothers me. I get so tired of the politicians using that BS argument.
  • Rabbit21
    12 years ago
    Holy crap auto-correct sucks and I can't type when I'm drunk. Somehow If clubs have to shut their doors turned into something about bisons and shit. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    I'm with motorhead. The IL legislature should get hard, cold, bare facts that there is a correlation between strip clubs and rape, before assessing a new tax.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Read the thread titled "No shit".
  • jc8891
    12 years ago
    This bullshit bill put every legislator in a predicament. If they vote for it, they are adding another stupid tax. If they vote against it, they will be portrayed as anti women during an election year. Who in the hell ever decided that strip clubs contribute to sexual assault anyhow?
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    So it costs you $3 more to go to the Club. Big deal!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion