tuscl

Upscale vs Downscale

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:40 PM
Which kind of club do you prefer? I can do without mandatory coat check and bathroom trolls. And especially having to tip to get a table. Upscale might be preferable if it kept out the riff-raff. But in my experience, it doesn't, and I would rather hang out with Joe Sixpack than with Drunk Guy Who Wants Everyone To Think He's Rich. So put me down for downscale.

34 comments

• rh48hr
    12 years ago
    I have had an enjoyable time at both. But I am starting to find I like the kick back atmosphere of the "divey" SC better.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Downscale for comfort and total entertainment value, upscale if I want eye candy.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Depends on the mood I'm in. And the reputation of the Clubs.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    Found I normally get more mileage @ the downscale clubs. At some of the upscale clubs some of the girls think they should get paid for everything including talking to you - and if they are going to give you any mileage, they sometimes want extra $$$ for it (like $30/LD if a regular LD is $20) - "Homey don't play that". I'm not saying it's the norm at the upscales, but happens more than at the downscales.
  • JacksonEsskay
    12 years ago
    I prefer to go a least somewhat upscale, but proximity to my current "20" to use some old CB slang, is usually the deciding factor.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Upscale. Upscale clubs have more beautiful dancers with fewer tattoos. Downscale clubs have uglier dancers with fewer teeth.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "Downscale clubs have uglier dancers with fewer teeth" Now that's a pretty broad generalization.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    "Downscale clubs have uglier dancers with fewer teeth" Hey - At least they won't scratch you when giving you a BBBJ!
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I don't care if someone calls a club a wreck or the Ritz, I want to feel safe, have comfortable chairs, reasonable drink prices, and attractive dancers. If a club doesn't have these bare necessities, I don't care what you call it because I won't be visiting very much. Some clubs in my area may think they are upscale but I see a lot of crappy features about the clubs that make me feel like I'm in a run down club with upscale prices. I would prefer upscale clubs but downscale prices. If improving things means higher prices, I'll take things as is.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    Papi: If they had no teeth at all that might be interesting. But I would think even just one tooth would ruin it. Che: I guess I haven't been to an upscale club that isn't pretentious here in Detroit. But come to think of it I've been to some very nice upscale clubs elsewhere that were not pretentious, in Texas and Nevada. If we had them here I would go.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    Shark: Maybe a topic for another thread, but high drink prices don't bother me too much. I'm not likely to buy more than three, so if they're $5 above what they should be, that's still less than the cost of one lapper.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Since my two favorite clubs are rated as 4 stars on TUSCL, That must be what I like.
  • samsung1
    12 years ago
    Here in Columbus, Kahoots is the most upscale club and it is one of the few clubs without a mandatory coat check. It does have a bathroom troll but it has bathroom sinks in two different areas of the bathroom so you can avoid him easily and still wash your hands. Also no tipping is necessary to sit in a booth.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    If upscale means a booth, I guess I've never even seen an upscale club. The clubs I visit have chairs and tables.
  • thesamurai
    12 years ago
    Dive bars FTW
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    I like clubs "in the middle" No valet. No booth tipping. No bathroom troll. But I don't like dirty restrooms, muddy parking lots, holes in the couches, or getting shot either. I like the clubs in the middle. Nicer clubs but where you still might see a guy in biker leather.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    ^ Me too, something in the middle. Though if forced to choose I'll take the upscale. Cleaner, better looking dancers and generally less issues.
  • Blue42TX
    12 years ago
    Mandatory coat checks? Wow, that is upscale and I never seen any here. Some days I feel like driving to a dive bar just to drink a beer or two and chat with the friendlier girls. Other times, I will go to the upscale ones and enjoy the better looking girls.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    Small "locals" clubs for me. As for the up or down scale, really doesn't matter that much to me, but a "inbetweener" would do just fine.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    "Downscale clubs have uglier dancers with fewer teeth" "Now that's a pretty broad generalization." Alucard, no, that's an ugly broad generalization....lol
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    For me, it's mostly about the women. I'd rather meet/dance with a beautiful woman who has charm, class and can hold a conversation. So, upscale is my vote....
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    MD: groan. I like to sit and chat with the girls too. And I've found they have more time and inclination to talk in the downscale places. But yes they can be hard to understand with the heavy lisp from missing teeth.
  • DandyDan
    12 years ago
    I'm not sure I've ever been to a place that truly was upscale. I know some of them pretended to be, or maybe thought they were, but in the end, they weren't. Downscale, I can put up with ugly girls if they have some who aren't or are at least enjoying themselves.
  • rickdugan
    12 years ago
    Exactly what motor and jester said. I like them midscale, which is classy enough to have some decent to good talent but small/divey enough that the normal annoyances and hustles of the "upscale" clubs are not present.
  • how
    12 years ago
    Downscale is fine, so long as it is not filled with punks or wanna-be gangstas, and so long as it is reasonably clean. Upscale is also fine, so long as it is not filled with pretentious fakers, and so long as the dancers don't act stuck-up.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Downscale has actual trolls along with a few rats in the bathroom
  • bang69
    12 years ago
    it realy dosen't matter
  • Jmoney007
    12 years ago
    i prefer downscale, no dress code, not many uppity dancers, extras optional, not strict on rules and somewhat reasonable all around pricing.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    I wouldn't even think of entering a club with a "dress code"! Now if it is the typical, "shoes and shirt required", well that is just fine.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Rick said it best !
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    My preference is definitely the down rent clubs. In my favourite hunting grounds around Toronto Int'l Airport there is a wide variety of choice of both upscale and decidedly down scale joints. Here is a brief story to explain the reason for my preferences. The one and only time I have ever done the Champagne Room thing the final cost for doing the deed with a real hot buxom blonde was $800 on top of cover charge and all that other crap. When we were done the girl says to me: "You're a nice guy. Here is my phone number. Next time you come to Toronto, phone me and I'll come to your hotel for $300.' I banged my head against the wall and wanted to slit my wrists. Not about the money I had just spent, but at how much more comfortable things would have been in a hotel room for only $300. In the well known grimy clubs around Toronto Int'l the full meal deal rarely costs me more than $150 now and those clubs have absolutely no nickel and dime charges. And, the girls are just as hot as in their upscale neighbours. That is why I prefer the dives.
  • TABB
    12 years ago
    I have good times at both. IMHO i tend to go to the high class SC more then the so called dives because CC is down the street where I live. The only thing i haven't done is going to the neighborhood type of strip clubs on a Friday or Saturday. I usually hit up the dive bars when I want to try something new or a last minute type of thing.
  • ilbbaicnl
    12 years ago
    Upscale clubs tend to be sort of "meh". The staff and dancers have the "I only work here" attitude, they're living with a bunch of annoying rules made by someone who rarely if ever walks the floor of the club. Small downscale clubs can be much better (except for being smaller). Or much, much worse.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Down scale......as I club more and more I enjoy the small dive bars...they seam easer to relax inn....prices for drinks are way cheaper and the guys like how I used to be ant their to toss $1,000 for nothin lol !......I find the ladies more enjoyable to chat with and when its time for some fun ITC or OTC it is always a yes and very cheap ! Which means I can do this again much more oftern! Paying $1,000 for pussy was so juice last year ! But its nice to have money in my pockets for other thangs in life !.......upscale clubs seam to knickle and dime you before you get in the club all the way to leaving the club.....and the girls are pretty but can be very bitchy ! I like girls in the 5 to 7 range with a good fun lovin persanility to chat and have sex with ! So that my 2cents : )
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion