Home prices near you

Friday, February 23, 2024 1:43 AM
How are real estate values in your neck of the woods? On one hand in some places you got the market telling you that you don't belong here anymore dude and then on the other you have the housing is human right crew who are all fucking idiots. -Sometimes I wonder if we have a housing problem or people who refuse move problem. You know talking about housing affordability and being homeless in coastal California is something I just don't get. MOVE YOU DUMBASS. -Around me (Long Island) yeah it's pretty crazy. I don't know how some people are able to do a house. Your probably looking at half a million shitty little levitt from the 50's. Is it seriously gonna get to a million one day for that? [view link] -I think one day we are going to look back and say wow Florida was once thought of as cheap? wtf lol no way. So many northern baby boomers who have been retiring recently and went down there. There probably hasn't been that kind of migration to a state since the Okies all went out to California during the depression. -If a lot of these once cheaper retirement spots become too expensive what's the next batch of places people will go. Maybe once big destinations turn into AZ, SC, FL, NC, ID turns into AR, AL, WY...idk. -All these Gen Z kids moving to these expensive cities to live the cool trendy life I mean they have to either have a bunch of roommates or a ridiculous job. Anything else I don't believe it unless they got parents paying for it/going into crazy debt. Otherwise I just don't know how you see 22 years olds living the high life in these expensive areas. -If you were looking to buy a home today would you do it now? Or would you wait for a possible dip coming up here? Love to hear y'alls on what's the word is near you. It's a crazy time.

28 comments

Idk, I think talking about home prices on this forum (which skews older individuals who get to be on the positive side of home price appreciation) is kinda like going to a stripper forum and complaining about $50+/song lapdances (where the dancers keep the vast majority of it) 👀
nicespice
•
3 months ago
Prices are up probably 20% over the last 5 years but nothing too drastic like some places. A decent 3br/2bath 1,200-1,500 sq ft entry level home can still be had in the $150-200k range if you don't mind some outdated cosmetic issues. Go 25 minutes away into a more suburban area instead of my rural area and the same size home will be in the $300-350k range.
whodey
•
3 months ago
What does this have to do with tittie bars?
Lockjaw
•
3 months ago
Houses are expensive but they won't go down in price- they only go up. The reason is that construction costs are up and people will pay anything to live in a nice area with no crime. The next hot area will be any place in the Southeast where houses are under $500K. Coastal south Carolina and the Florida panhandle look good. Also any exurban areas near Atlanta and Texas metros.
Moon123
•
3 months ago
^ the best looking girls become trophy wives Have you seen what a trophy wife looks like on Long Island then head down to West Virginia or Arkansas and check out what passes for a trophy wife in those places.
twentyfive
•
3 months ago
I live in a moderately expensive suburb of Boston. My house is up about 10% from when I bought it 3 years ago. It used to be up more, but came down. But I bought it at 2021 interest levels, which makes it a steal nowadays, no point in trying to pay it off faster. My mortgage is well under what I'd pay for rent at a nearby complex. I'm bound in this area by work/personal commitments, but if I need more space, I might move a couple cities more out. My girlfriend wants a larger, more "pastoral" place where she can homestead, and that means further out and cheaper, so it might all work out. If I do, I might rent out this place, but overly tenant-friendly rental laws might make it tough. In which case, I might sell this place and put down more cash on the new house. 7-8% interest is no joke, and I don't see the fed cutting rates any time soon. @Muddy - the Gen Z kids living the "cool trendy life" soon get a reality enema. They watched Sex and the City, or Emily in Paris, and don't realize that on TV, these people live lives they they could never afford in real life. In New York, they think they'll get a trendy place in the West Village on a meager salary, instead they get a 5th-floor walkup in Bed-Stuy with three roommates.
PuddyTat69
•
3 months ago
^ 7-8% interest is historically normal when I brought my first house I had a 6.75% mortgage and I was happy to pay that, at that time most first time home buyers were paying over 8%. I brought my home in Florida mortgages were at 5-6% and I kept refinancing until I got to where it was 2% when I made the final payment. I think insurance and maintenance costs are a greater threat to affordability than mortgage rates which will eventually come down and most people will refinance homes that will keep appreciating in value.
twentyfive
•
3 months ago
^ Historically yes, but America has gotten addicted to cheap money. Fortunately I live in an area that keeps appreciating in value, so I'm not in a rush to sell. Americans have a lot of wealth bound up in their homes (too much, often) and policies that drop home values are not popular.
PuddyTat69
•
3 months ago
^ Wealth that’s bound up in a home isn’t really useful unless you sell your house, but if you plan to remain in the same area, most homes are likely priced similarly and moving to another area hasn’t typically been appealing to folks as they age. Most of those people that you see buying houses in my area are folks that are truly wealthy, not house wealthy.
twentyfive
•
3 months ago
We've owned our home for 26 years. The value goes up. The value goes down, but it has appreciated an average of 10.5% per year every year. Right after the pandemic when people wanted to get away from Boston prices went nuts here, going up an average of 3% a month for almost 3 years. Housing prices are ridiculous, but luckily taxes here are pretty reasonable.
skibum609
•
3 months ago
No matter the cost, if you have a stable life in one area, it always pays to buy. The down payment is always the big hurdle. I bought a place 26 years ago that is worth 5 times what I paid for it when I bought it. Over that time, my payment became less than what rent would be and I got the tax write offs when i was paying more interest than principal. My parents place, bought in 1969, sold for about 60 times what they paid for it recently. Sure you have to be stable in your life to buy but it pays off in the end.
mike710
•
3 months ago
In Seattle it is insane, home prices are obscene. The infection has spread to the surrounding areas. The Lake Stevens area for instance has been over taken hipsters and techies. I’d move to Idaho or Montana but they have been infected with Californians that watched Yellow Stone and run up prices there.
Context22
•
3 months ago
Yeah, Gen Zers, living in expensive places because they like them, unbelievable. Say the guys who pay $20+ to grope somebody for 3 minutes.
ilbbaicnl
•
3 months ago
I'm pretty sure the Boomers living large in retirement after selling their house are a minority. You have to have been in a growing city when you bought your first house, and willing to endure a longer commute, to get a house that was still cheap. Houses have not increased steadily, the general trend is up, but many slow markets. If you get laid off, that probably in an economic downturn. If you have to move to another city to find work, you'll be lucky to sell it for enough to pay off the mortgage. Lots of guys have had to separate from their families for a few years to take a new jobs. They couldn't sell their house because it was underwater, owed more on it than they could sell it for. And, not everyone wants to move away from their social circle when they retire. I think most people will are more likely to do well by living in as cheap a place as they can be happy in, and put what they save in the stock market.
ilbbaicnl
•
3 months ago
When I bought my current house, I wanted one within a 30-minute drive of the Flight Club. The house has more than tripled in value since then. Location, location, location. Young people have a hard time buying a house today and I think the least we can do is be sympathetic. Rent is also unaffordable in some places.
jackslash
•
3 months ago
aside from the fact that I'm so far away from any strip clubs, my housing costs are cheap. just utilities and taxes and insurance. My Arizona house is worth about twice what I paid for it 20 years ago. but but it's so far away from the fun I like.
Jascoi
•
3 months ago
Young people make up about 80% of my clientele. They eat out too much. They spend too much on take out. They spend too much on technology. They spend3too much on credit cards. They piss away too much income for the sake of convenience. They spend too much on everything. They work 40 hours per week or less. Lastly, they'll blame everyone on earth for this, excluding themselves.
skibum609
•
3 months ago
A week or 2 ago several news outlets were reporting that there were 1200 homes in Atlanta being occupied by squatters. I'd like to know where these 1200 vacant homes were. What neighborhoods? In my neighborhood prices have gone up 300% since I bought 8 years ago. My son, who lives on the north side of Atlanta has the cash for a down payment and pre approved for $500,000 loan but hasn't been able to find a place close to where he wants to buy.
shadowcat
•
3 months ago
My household earns well above $200k+ annually and save over 1/2 of it because I always lived as I did when I had no money. The problem with the youth today isn’t so much them but more so about how corporate marketing trains them to think all that crao is needed to fit in a/their peers when you got Instagram, tik tok, and Facebook media running 24/7. The reason why I will always live way below my means is when my kids grow up they’ll have a role model who still lives lavishly yet frugally, never missing out on vacations and going out to eat since I drive old cars, wear worn out clothes/shoes, and have an updated paid for home. That’s one reason is to be a role model, but also to save enough money to assist with their schooling and a down payment for their first home. Too many kids will need assistance not only financially, but also emotionally to help them manage their finances and our culture has neglected to do that with our youth, telling them it’s ok to search for instant gratification. I blame the culture that promotes spending.
Mate27
•
3 months ago
@twentyfive - "Wealth that’s bound up in a home isn’t really useful unless you sell your house" That's exactly my point. Real estate is extremely local. It's hard to talk about "real estate prices" as a whole when the boom has left so many areas behind. My parents live in a neighborhood that was upper-middle class when I lived there, but the ghetto has since encroached on it. They could get maybe 4x what they bought it for 45 years ago. Meanwhile where I live now is starting to gentrify, with old industrial buildings turning into luxury complexes with biotechs springing up around it. It will boom. Yes, the down payment is the hard part, but we've seen what happens when banks give NINJA (no income, no job or assets) loans. Laws that encourage people to buy houses beyond their means are folly incarnate. I make decent bank. In my parents' area, or even smaller cities, I could buy my current home outright. But I choose to live here, and am locked here by job and personal commitments. Homeowners are typically wealthier and older (therefore more likely to vote) than non-homeowners, and they don't like policies that drop the values of their homes. That's a problem, because every transaction has a buyer and a seller who thinks it's fair. Policies that push up the housing market lock younger and poorer people out, and these interest rates also push real estate into the hands of cash payers (who are also rich). It also means that family wealth is more important, as they'll be giving you their homes. Lastly, grumbling about today's youth has been around forever, but Gen Z does seem to have some seriously misplaced priorities. It's evidenced in the attitude that they're entitled to have college debt forgiven. You signed the contract, you honor it. Joe Biden is trying to use this to buy votes. There's no "forgiving" debt, you are just offloading it onto the American people.
PuddyTat69
•
3 months ago
Not sure these guys will see this but… Jacklash - your criteria of buying a home within 30 minutes of your favorite SC is the most PL thing ever written. Funny as hell and congrats. Skibum - questioning your math on a 10.5% increase in value per year over 26 years. It’s possible I suppose but a bit unlikely. If you paid $100k for the house 26 years ago are you saying it’s worth $1.3M today? Or if you paid $150k it’s now worth $1.8M?
captainfun
•
3 months ago
^^ don’t ask him to respond with actual facts or logic. That’s why he’s called SkiDumb. As a lawyer he’s learned to just say shit that sounds like it could be true, like a grifter does, aka Trump.
Mate27
•
3 months ago
House prices and apartment rents are still relatively low here in Indiana, at least compared to other states. The main problem is that states like Indiana don't have a lot of good paying jobs. Most of the good paying factory jobs are gone. I work for the federal government but with our trillion dollar a year deficits those jobs may start disappearing in the near future.
docsavage
•
3 months ago
Captain 10% per year not compounding 10%. The number was based on original purchase price, not yearly accrued value. Just so you know Mate is a cunt; just a weakling and a pussy, in addition to being quite stupid. He wants Joe Biden's cock in his mouth...
skibum609
•
3 months ago
For my primary home, prices are up perhaps 25% total over the last 5 years. That being said, the market is extremely choppy. Very low inventory of homes (because where are you going to move to and give up your 2% mortgage) is currently supporting the market. Generally speaking, quality of life in the medium sized city nearest to me is much higher now than it was a few years ago (my definition of medium sized city is any city that isn't LA, NYC, or Chicago but that has 4 major sports franchises--feel free to quibble). Cost of apartments are absolutely insane, and I don't know how 22 year olds do it.
blahblahblahs
•
3 months ago
A 2 bedroom apartment near where we live is $ 2,000.00 per month, so buying a home is still the better choice.
skibum609
•
3 months ago
Just dumb. And stupid. Add some skiiing and you get SkiDumb and SkiStoopid!
Mate27
•
3 months ago
Home prices are high here. Rents are very high. Those of us locked in for low APR mortgages can't upgrade, so we can't sell our houses.
JamesSD
•
3 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion