tuscl

Getting ID'd or patted down. Does it bother you?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:12 AM
I recently got ID'd at Atlanta's newest strip club. The Pink Pony South. Since I am 66, I thought that it was a little bit unnecessary. The bird dog said it was to make sure I wasn't a cop. How does showing your drivers license prove that you are not a cop. The club certainly did not have to worry either way. Nothing was going on. I then went to the Crazy Horse Saloon. I had been to this club many times but this is the first time that I have gotten frisked. I have gotten frisked at other clubs. It really doesn't bother me. I am clean and I appreciate that the club is looking out for my well being. Best frisk was by the door girl at a Columbia SC club. She made sure that I had a dick. Unfortunately she was the only decent looking girl there.

22 comments

• MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    It's a pain, but they do it to cover their asses. The only time that I've been patted down was in RI in a rather rough section of town, but what do you expect though? Maybe they identify cops on GA licenses? Maybe if you're undercover the dude could spot your fake ID (or maybe the cops get really good fakes...the fuckers)?
  • jester214
    16 years ago
    Getting carded is very annoying to me although I'm young enough that it still happens some... Getting patted dwon is a hassle, but I like the fact that if I'm getting patted down, then I know everyone else is...
  • SuperDude
    16 years ago
    Any place that has regular clientele low enough to prompt pat down searches is no place I want to be. Drinking around a bunch of thugs and gangstas is risky business.
  • chitownlawyer
    16 years ago
    What SuperDude said. I don't mind getting carded (it happened to me two weeks ago in a new club), but getting patted, going through a metal detector, etc., is God's way of saying, "Are you sure you want to be here?"
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    I'll remember that the next time I get a flight or go to the courthouse chitown. ;)
  • snowtime
    16 years ago
    I can't understand the rationale for ID check but it would be more of an annoiance than anything. As far as the pat down goes I have no problem with it as it is for my protection as well as others. I have had it done in clubs that I don't classify as dives and in clubs which are not frequented by thugs. I don't think you can judge the safety of a club by the use or nonuse of this procedure.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    Can't say that I've ever been carded or frisked. I guess I am just an old looking safe guy. Would it bother me, yes.
  • DandyDan
    16 years ago
    I'm not fond of either, but I can see why they think they have to do it, especially the patting down. The thug element often makes its way into the clubs. Mix that with alcohol and something bad could happen. I do know one of the clubs in Des Moines, Iowa that I have visited had a murder there, so it can happen. As for ID checks, I did witness once where someone wouldn't get let in because of a fake ID, and it wasn't that he was pretending to be over 21, either. I saw once that a Mexican (presumably a migrant worker) was trying to pass himself as a lot older than he looked. You would think Mexico would be the place to make fake ID's.
  • alexsa
    16 years ago
    I was in an upstairs room with a dancer in a Puerto Rico club that had such rooms, with PAPER THIN walls, when a gun went off in the adjacent room. Unsurprisingly that's the fastest I've ever gotten dressed in my life (after stuffing my heart back into my chest) and out the door. I was convinced a dozen police cars were going to show up and have everyone arrested. Since then being patted down has never been an issue for me, though it happens rarely. At all my local clubs, everyone has to show ID which I am totally OK with.
  • godfatherstill
    16 years ago
    Never been patted down but have been in clubs with metal detectors, it's OK with me.
  • minnow
    16 years ago
    Nope, though getting carded elicits a mental "ygbsm". Likely a CYA function. One version that I do consider invasive is the trend for some OH clubs going private membership route filling out app. and scanning your driver lisc. into computer, and printing it on club membership, no thanks. Off the subject a little; I've noticed that several "secondary" car rental cos. are in the habit of photocopying driving lisc. & CC, something that "Big 3" don't do. This kinda rankles- being treated as a potential car thief vs. a potential new long term customer. But, I'll put up with it to a certain extent for the convenience factor, and/or avoiding inflated BS airport "fee" add-ons.
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    One strip club used female attendants to do pat-downs. It was pretty nice. Sort of a preview of what to expect inside - which was pretty nice too. Photocopying the Drivers License sucks. Lumberyard in Des Moines did that to me once. Never again.
  • Shekitout
    16 years ago
    There is club in my town that sometimes ask for ID, other times not. It's just a hassle to have to keep up with the drivers license since I don't carry a wallet on me. Never been patted down tho'.
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    chitown: I think that MisterGuy busted you. Do you really want to go to the court house and go through a metal detector? There might be thugs there. And do you really want to go to an airport and go through screening? Do they catch all of the bad guys? I have been to TJ many times. Probably before you were born and I can guarantee you that there are thugs there. From the taxi drivers to the waiters to the putas to the police. I have traveled all over western Mexico and have been to whore houses in a dozen towns. Border towns are that absolute worst when it comes to ripping off gringos. I have seen it and experienced it. Be careful.
  • harrydave
    16 years ago
    Two of the clubs I have frequented alot in Phoenix have at various times done the pat down or wand. One of them, Bandaids, should do it all the time; especially on Friday and Saturday nights, the place fills up with "players" and the club wisely wants to keep the bad stuff out in the parking lot. The other club, Hiliter, has a more upscale clientele, but off and on they will wand you or do a casual pat-down. Yet, I have never seen any violence at either place and I almost lived at Bandaids for a while. The guys who caused trouble were the 35 year old white male drunks with an attitude problem and a tendency to grope the girls. Every once in a while, one of those guys would get dragged out of the club, and accidently trip on the sidewalk. The girls loved it. They would run in and out of the club checking out what was happening to the guy outside, and report back to the girls clustered near the door. What fun! I think for some of them it was indirect revenge for the bad treatment they received from someone else. And through it all, I would sit there with my glasses, button down shirt, and Dockers. Of course, no one messed with me.
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    I think chitown can take it, or he can sue me. ;) You da man harrydave...I wouldn't mess with a man in Dockers either...it's just tacky.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I remember once or twice the door girl who already recognized me patted me down. One time recently a dancer or a female I didn't recognize was joking about doing strip searches to the guy standing in line or waiting in front of me. I smiled because I thought she was joking. He had this serious look on his face like hell no. I thought that was funny because she was joking. But then she looked at me and smiled and I started wondering who she was. Many times at the same club, there was often a guy with a wand or scanner to stop people from carrying cameras or cell phones into the club. The club once had trouble with people trying to bring cameras into the club. That's what all the security was about. It was a nude club.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I been patted down by dancers many times. I guess they were checking if I was happy to see them or not before asking for a dance.
  • Notsosly
    16 years ago
    Checking ID: Im only 34, so yeah, it still gets checked occasionally. I always leave it in the car though... and only about half the places that request to see it make me go out to get it. I'd never allow anyone to copy my ID. Hell no. Patting down: By a hot hostess/dancer: sure! and make sure you're thorough! By a big meaty bouncer: it's an annoyance. Though I appreciate that none of the other patrons will be packing heat, I do wonder if a white boy in dockers should even be going into said club. It also leads me to believe that there won't be much leniency when it comes to fun in the VIP or LD couches. Places that pat down tend to crack down hard on that stuff.
  • hornytoad085
    16 years ago
    Most of the clubs in Philly have metal detectors. It makes it feel a little more sordid and low-class, unfortunately. Pat-downs do the same for me, although they tend to be rare in my experience.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    When I'm going to a shady area of town, I'd rather be patted down than not. I'm sure that friends-of-friends DO get in to the clubs carrying their heat, even despite a pat-down at certain places, but those aren't the people I'm worried about. I'm personally never a member of the in-crowd of either the owner's friends, or the enemies of the owner, so I'm not part of any possible violence that might take place in either direction. If there's a ruckus I disappear through the nearest emergency exit post-haste. So, a pat-down policy reassures me that there's less likely to be a very risky ruckus; any ruckus is just a silly one-drunk-guy-versus-umpteen-sober-bouncers ruckus. I go to Passions in New Orleans, a very ghetto place with a single entrance-exit, no windows, a LOT of members of ethnic minorities, some of whom (especially the younger ones) look askance at pasty-white-boy-me. I'm glad they patted down the askance-lookers at the door, so I'll suffer that they pat me down too. :)
  • motorhead
    16 years ago
    I have never been patted down....and I don't recall ever going thru a metal detector. I guess I tend to shy away from the types of clubs or parts of town where those things exist. I tend to stick with friendly places like the Hip Hugger in small city Kokomo, Indiana. But as far as being ID'd.....I am 49 years young, so I am (usually) never asked. I rarely go to bars - unless there are naked ladies dancing - but last night I went to a local sports bar to watch the IU basketball game in the Big 10 Tournament and much to my surprise, I was asked for my ID at that place. I know this is off topic, but the Big 10 Network sucks !!! I live and die for Indiana basketball - it's the only thing besides strippers that gets me thru the long northern Indiana winters. But this year, the greedy Big 10 decided to form it's own television network. My local cable provider doesn't offer the Big 10 network on it's standard package, so I was forced to miss many games this year, including the opening rounds of the Big 10 tourney. Greed sucks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion