tuscl

Being woke

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Ring, Ring..."Hello birthing person. It's the person you birthed calling to wish you a Happy Birthing Person Day. I gotta go now because another birthing person fucker wants to use the phone. Bye".

43 comments

• motorhead
    2 years ago
    I will admit to being confused. An article recently came across my newsfeed on what words are no longer acceptable in the work place.

“The team had 2000 man hours on this project” - offensive

“Wal-Mart wil be closed for Christmas” - offensive

“Eldetly” is offensive

“Recent graduate” is offensive

Queer used to be bad. But now it’s good. Homosexual is very bad. It’s gay. Except now some younger folks find gay offensive so it’s LGBTQ+

Wonder if they know what the “G” stands for ?
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    @motorhead You forgot the "I,A,2,S". It's LGBTQIA2S+ buster. I have no idea what all that means, but you better learn it because soon the cops are gonna use it as part of the drunk test. Lol
  • Jimmybigtits
    2 years ago
    I'm glad I read this closely. I wrongly assumed "woke" meant the challenge of waking her up to leave the hotel before I had to check out
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Imagine that there actually exists people so weak, so infantile, so pathetic and so useless that words upset them. Actions mean something, words do not. Would you rather have someone hand you $1,000 (an action) or pledge to give you $25,000 (words)? I take the cash, not the lie.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    some companies even have gone as far as having booklets printed up on what words are not acceptable to use in the workplace.

in the lunchroom a coworker asks a guy if wants to eat out for lunch. guy replies," no. today i brown bagged it" and goes to the refrigerator to grab his lunch. woke HR cunt is also in the lunchroom and points out to the guy that he will be be subject to disciplinary action while he's holding a brown paper bag containing a box of pink lemonade and a tuna fish sandwich.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    While some language is clearly offensive - and reasonable people usually know the boundaries- but some of the changes make little sense

“Wheelchair-bound” is prohibited but “Confined to a Wheel” is the recommended replacement
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    woke language is just a controlling tool - nothing else. leftists won't ever let this go as doing such is a relinquishment of control.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “Woke language is what holds the left back from being more readily accepted“

That’s an excellent point that I’ve tried to suggest to my more progressive fiends

After George Floyd it seems the left pushed too hard, too fast, and too far on every issue. Now the right is pushing back equally as hard.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    One of my favorite ridiculous woke language examples is how "colored people" is so terribly offensive, with the preferred and correct term being "people of color".
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    I have to be honest in saying that I haven't seen too much of this stuff permeate the corporate workplaces and I do a lot of business with large employers in deep blue states. Nowadays when I see someone disciplined or terminated for poor behavior, which is very rare IME, it's almost always something that was clearly unacceptable.

Now yes, there are some things that aren't acceptable today that might have been 30+ years ago. But that has been the case for most of my 25+ years of professional work. In most places, simply avoiding politics and religion and not getting too personal is a winning recipe. In mixed company, talking about things like kid activities, vacations and similar topics are always safe ground.

And yes, it seems that some employees in a handful of companies (mostly CA based) have been pushing their employers to wade into state-level political issues, but I expect that to be short-lived. Ron DeSantis recently made an example of Disney when it tried to interfere in FL educational and social politics and it was an object lesson for other companies to stay in their lanes. I also strongly suspect that CEOs with "woke" employees won't be as susceptible to pressure from their workforces once the labor market rebalances.

These things all come in cycles and rarely gain serious traction in the mainstream. I'm not going to get worked up over flash in the pan stuff normally residing on the fringes.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    It's all window dressing. Yeah inclusiveness is needed.

But getting rid of right to work aka right to fire laws. Paid maternity and paternity leave. Living wages. Etc are more pressing issues.

• From978
    2 years ago
    I know a lot of leftists, and probably quality as one myself. Zero of them are anywhere near as well informed on "woke" language as the posters above. I have never heard most of these terms from anyone who was not Fox News or Fox News adjacent.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @ThatXGuy and @From, it starts in humanities and social sciences academia (as do most horrible ideas), gets promulgated by political functionaries who falsely equate it with being "compassionate" or "enlightened," then takes on a hard edge from other political functionaries and corporate HR who calls you "reactionary" if you publicly defy it.

That's how words like "Latinx" get used, even when most Latinos/Latinas/Hispanics think it butchers the beautiful, gendered Spanish language.
    Or announcing their pronouns, which I've never heard done outside of Twitter, or Kamala Harris pandering in a presidential debate.
    Or woke universities, and only woke universities, pandering that they're on stolen Native American land (that the "acknowledged" tribe probably stole from other Native Americans, LOL).

Everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, when they're not.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    Don't waste times on extremists who are just looking for reasons to always be negative rather than positive. Using brain imaging technology, typical differences can be seen between male and female. Transgender people have brain patterns that match the opposite gender from the one that corresponds to the junk they were born with. They are not crazy or imagining thing. Probably non-binary people have a mixed brain pattern. Only extremists oppose using terms like woman/man/mother/father. If somebody wants to be called by their "brain sex", a decent person respects that.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    Ilb, the "junk" you're so dismissively characterizing are reproductive organs that produce powerful hormones that effect everything from biological development to thinking patters.

Similarly, adapting our language in a manner that assumes gender fluidity has powerful implications that go far beyond accommodating a very tiny % of the population who may truly suffer from gender dysphmorphia. When we make the default assumption of "gender" disconnected from biology, it has other ramifications, like causing potential gender confusion in the developing minds of young children who are often already very confused and discomforted by the changes their bodies are undergoing. It also by default buttresses arguments for other extreme policy positions, like allowing biological males unfettered access to female safe spaces and to compete against females in physical sports.

As a father to young girls, I'd much rather a tiny % of the population feel less accepted than for my girls to be subjected to everything I've outlined above. So you'd better believe that I'm holding the line on the language usage because it does not exist in a vacuum. If I have to choose between the safety and wellbeing of a generation of girls vs. a tiny percentage of boys who feel (and maybe even even think) like girls, it's not a hard choice for me to make.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    So you'd prefer bigotry to be socially acceptable coz it goes with your right wing ethics......except when it comes to prostitution.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Will they be renaming Mothers Day - to Birthing Persons Day? I’m sure Hallmark has cards ready.

Maybe Fathers Day will be Sperm Donors Day? Or Ejaculatory Partners Day? I’m sure that will look good on a card!

This is my view. Why change everything for a tiny percentage of the population?
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    To all you progressives I wish you pain and sorrow, you fucking deviants.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    I'd prefer my children not to be exposed to sexual and gender concepts as they learn the English language or for grown ass men to have enfettered access to my daughters in their their bathrooms and locker rooms.

It would also be nice if boys weren't allowed to compete against girls in sports - especially contact sports where the risk of injury exists. Right now it has been limited mostly to swimming and track, which has been bad enough, but sooner or later some boy who feels like a girl is going to want to play girl's soccer or lacrosse and then all hell is going to break loose.

I guess one person's definition of "bigotry" is another's definition of common fucking sense.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @rick, look up Fallon Fox in women's MMA. "She" was literally cracking skulls.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ^ Wow. I just read the story of his fight with Tamikka Brents. He cracked her skull and otherwise utterly overpowered her.

Here is how Brents described it after the fight:

“I’ve fought a lot of women and have never felt the strength that I felt in a fight as I did that night. I can’t answer whether it’s because she was born a man or not because I’m not a doctor. I can only say, I’ve never felt so overpowered ever in my life and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right. Her grip was different, I could usually move around in the clinch against other females but couldn’t move at all in Fox’s clinch."
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @x:"Woke language is what holds the left back from being more readily accepted"

I think you're right, this is part of the progressive overreach that triggers conservative backlashes. That said, language is always moving and its usually old people that get the most irate about the lastest shift. 5000 years ago, some proto-Italic grandpa was surely complaining about how every noun has to be male or female now, and what the fuck is the matter with these kids.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "I think you're right, this is part of the progressive overreach that triggers conservative backlashes."

Not just conservatives. They are losing a lot of the Independents and even some Dems are changing their voter registrations. They have driven the train to crazytown on so many fronts, including inflationary economic policies; renewables mandates driving up the cost of gas; educational policies that are causing many parents concern about what their kids are being taught in school; social policies including transgender protections which are causing concern among many parent with girls...

I could go on. It's a shit show on all fronts. They are losing parents in particular in droves, especially after elongated school closures and parents actually seeing the curriculum being taught to their kids. Republicans' message to parents nowadays is simple and powerful: We won't let them sexualize your children in elementary school, we won't let boys hurt your girls or take their spots on the playing field and, oh yeah, we'll give you greater power to choose your kids' schools if you don't like what's happening in the ones they attend.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    There is a reason that in liberal Massachusetts there are hundreds of parochial schools. Even when I was a kid Marian High, a Catholic High School, had 10% Jewish students. Abusive parents send their kids to public schools in Blue States.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Rick would you like your kids exposed to how you prey on desperate hookers? Any plans to groom your daughters for a future career?

But it's nice to see you want to shield them from any thoughts of social equality.
  • iknowbetter
    2 years ago
    Am I the only one troubled by the fact that the word “woke” is a verb (past tense of wake), and every time I hear “woke” used as an adjective, it comes across as sounding like a bad attempt at appropriation of urban dialect.
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    ^^^ how da basement smell rite now?
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    To be woke I guess I have to say unpleasantly high pitched female dogs. Instead of whiny bitches.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^lmao
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "Rick would you like your kids exposed to how you prey on desperate hookers? Any plans to groom your daughters for a future career?"

If your pimp and love affair stories are any indication, the only person who preys on desperate hookers is you. Just ask the crack whore who you pimped out for 5 years before she finally escaped. 😉

• rickdugan
    2 years ago
    @Skibum: I went to public schools in MA and got a great education. I left High School well prepared for college.

Even today MA is tops a number of rankings lists for its public schools. But nowadays if I lived there now and put my kids in public schools I would be worried about what they were being exposed to re: social policies.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    I understand Rick. I went to all public schools in Massachusetts and even graduated from the public state university. It was very different back then, but even then, parochial schools provided a better education. We have a private Catholic school in my Town. It's an exam school. The campus looks like the quintessential small liberal arts college in New England, well if you ignore the state-of-the-art sporting venues. Last I knew it costs $21,000.00 a year to send your kid to school and the waiting list is never-ending. A lot of kids from my town go there, despite the fact we're a top 10-20 ranked school system in the state. They go to keep out the woke bullshit.
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    My experience is pretty much like Rick Dugans in terms of not really running into much of this word police nonsense in real life. There are lots of news stories about it and, I’m sure, there is plenty of it in certain circles. But I think it mostly seems amplified due to the echo in those certain echo chambers where it’s common.

I try very hard to be respectful to everyone and be thoughtful with the words and terms I use. I think most people try to be that way, regardless of their political views. And sometimes over the years I’ve learned better terminology and I’m happy to use it if it makes sense. But I don’t spend one second worrying about what the miserable and the mean have to say about anything. I own my thoughts and my words and if I objectively fuck up, I apologize. And sleep just fine that night.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Rick ive never pimped out any crack whore

Would you teach your daughters to take care of their appearance coz one day soon a man like their dad will give them a lit of money to fuck?

And they better be safe coz abortions are immoral

You can be right up there with shadowcat bragging about fucking hookers younger than his granddaughter
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^ sick, demented fuck who brings someone's children into this? You need a fucking beating asshole.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    A lot of these tech companies existed based on their hype but never made money. The day of reckoning is here. Lots of woke, high-paid employees being laid off. Stock price plummeting. The emperor has no clothes.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    If you’ve not read about the real estate scam that was Wework, I encourage you to look it up. They promised to change the world, while running a classic Ponzi scheme.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @Mark, Wework conned people into believing their business was something _other_ than real estate. They couched it in gauzy terms like "community-adjusted EBITDA" and "ushering a new way of being into the world," shit like that. New communal spaces for working, living, educating children.

But all they were doing was buying, refurbishing, and renting out real estate. And burning through money on weed and lavish parties. It was a great example of how some people want to be fooled.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Somebody did documentary on Wework. The creepiest part was the interviews of employees who thought the founder was some sort of Messiah.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Last Monday, July 4, the Minneapolis Police had 80 officers on duty to respond to 1,300 calls for service. I don’t know how many social workers were on call.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @Mark, I read a couple of the WeWork books. Highly worthwhile, but the whole time I was thinking, "how did smart, rich people like Masayoshi Son fall for this shit? I wouldn't have invested a wooden nickel into them."

Oh, and as far as Minneapolis police, I'm laughing at the idea of my 75-year-old therapist responding to a distress call. dEfUnD. Lulz.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    I heard an analyst say that 40% of the companies in the S&P 500 make no profit. I think thats what a lot of the recent 20% drop in the market is. All these tech hype stocks are going down. That’s what recessions do well. Clean out the deadwood.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion