tuscl

City vs. Suburban Clubs

I'm starting to get sick of the downtown, city bullshit. I recently got $100 ticket for parking around the corner from the Brass rail in Toronto at fucking 10pm. And then in downtown Minneapolis, while trying to park my car I encountered a roving band of assholes chucking and breaking glass bottles all around. I instead opted to park 10 blocks away and walked my ass over.

I know you usually got all the stuff downtown, all the energy, all the partying but fuck all that if all things are equal, and they usually aren't but if it's close I just like the suburban club with a parking lot and without all the fucking drama and escape from New York imitations. How about you?

22 comments

• shailynn
    2 years ago
    If you’re still in Toronto skip the clubs and hit up a massage parlor.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Yeah I gotta dive into these mps a little bit more I keep hearing good things
  • psycho_trick
    2 years ago
    suburban/rural. same reasons.
    fucking drama still finds its way there. just later.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    I think that may be more-so in Canada and the northern U.S. states but I think it's the opposite in da-dirty-South - IME often times in the South the downtown-areas are ghost-towns at night - I have more experience w/ the southern U.S. thus have never really liked hanging out in downtown areas even if they may have a good scene (I would hang-out in a downtown area w/ a good-scene but all things being equal I prefer the suburbs).
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    muddy... you make it seem like Tijuana is well behaved.
  • jackslash
    2 years ago
    There are advantages to clubs with valet parking.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    I really don't run into this problem too much anymore. I agree with Papi that this is primarily an issue in some older northern cities, with larger financial districts built in high density settings and older clubs located in these business districts that have survived zoning changes, etc.

Many of the Southern cities are less densely built, allowing for more parking lots. Also, many cities have long ago pushed the clubs away from their downtown financial districts, again allowing more parking flexibility.

The clubs I know of where parking can be a challenge are in places like NYC, DC, Boston, some in B'more, a couple in Philly (most clubs in Philly are in the outskirts of city limits with decent parking), a couple of clubs in Chicago, maybe one in Milwaukee...I'm sure there are a smattering of others. But altogether it's probably a really tiny % of all U.S. clubs.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Clubs in cities can be a pain in the ass for a variety of reasons. As others have mentioned, it seems to be more of a northeast issue. I’ve been to a few clubs in the established cities in the NYC, DC, and Philly and it can be a challenge to find safe parking, and to avoid the groups of downtown jackasses.

It sucks to be inside enjoying the club - and find your car damaged when you come out. If it’s damage from another car - or local assholes - it puts you in an odd situation to report the damage to your insurance company.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    In the last 30+ years I have only clubbed in the southeast and have never encountered a club that used street parking. I did run into a pub in downtown Columbia SC that did not have a parking lot and all of the close by street parking had meters. I didn't have any change. Fortunately I was with my ATF and she did.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I remember when I was in graduate school - and in downtown Newark NJ. I had parked on the street for longer than the allowed number of hours. I came back to see a Newark cop on horseback writing me a ticket. As he is writing the ticket - his horse proceeds to take a mountainous shit and a healthy piss right in front of my car.

But, Newark will likely remain an urban toilet.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    Parking ticket in Canada... What happens if you just don't pay it?
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ The Mounties always get their man 👨
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    IME most of those urban NE clubs often suck for several reasons other than just the parking challenges, which is probably why I rarely deal with this anymore. I have zero interest in dealing with parking and traffic challenges just to visit a place which is a high hustle tourist trap or where English is a second language.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I don't really care about a clubs location. I don't think it makes a difference.
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    Inner city valet parking is also a crap shoot. I walked to a club from my hotel and and saw a guy jump the curb to get into a vacant lot with lots of nice cars parked on it. this was a block and a half from the club on a side street. The guy got out and I noticed his bright shirt. An unsavory looking guy met him and they gave the interior of the car a lookover. Then the bright shirt guy jogged up the street. When I get to the club, that guy is the club's valet attendant.

So the scam must have been he lets the thief give each car a lookover to find one worth breaking into. The valet guy probably gets a cut.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Muddy, move to Phx and you won’t have anymore problems like that with club parking.
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    Yeah, go to Phoenix! The Hiliter parking lot is most definitely not controlled by any bureaucrats in any way. It’s the true wild Wild West! (And parking in the lines is optional)
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    As to Minneapolis, clubs have been zoned to be downtown. But the problems you mentioned are real. Personally, I’ve avoided the downtown clubs the last few years and am not in a hurry to revisit them. They weren’t exactly destination places to begin with.
  • ww
    2 years ago
    If you're downtown (really anywhere, city or suburb regardless of time), especially in a city that's not your own, you have to check the signage. Doesn't provide any defense from damage but you'll avoid a ticket.
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    Next time I'm in the MSP area I plan to hit up King of diamonds again, which is definitely suburban. Unsure on mileage, but hot natural blondes, fully nude with good taps makes for a fun night.
  • wallanon
    2 years ago
    I tried to go to French Quarter in Hot Springs, AK the other day. No parking lot and maybe there were a couple of street parking spots out front. I parked about a block away in what looked like a small neighborhood just past a massage parlor. Walked up to the door and the place didn't open for another hour. That parking situation seemed like a pain in the ass so I'm not sure if I'd bother going back.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    The private car created the suburb, and the suburb loves it's mama. Cities love your private car as much as your scalp loves head lice. I've only gone to the downtown Toronto clubs when I've been staying close enough to walk (which felt safe there at any hour). There's no park-n-ride on the northern part of the Yonge St. subway line?

It's either affordable or safe, but not both, going to the downtown of a large US city, especially at night. Cities may want to change this, but can't see a way to do it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion