tuscl

There’s a report out saying Tom Brady is retiring

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
I kinda thought he looked like he had enough that last game where he lost, he’s been a great player a terrific person and he owes nothing to anyone, glad I had the opportunity to see him play.
Good luck with whatever comes next.

25 comments

• Muddy
    3 years ago
    He’s the GOAT no question but I don’t think he’s done for good. What’s he gonna do now go clean the pool for a year? Not buying it.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    The GOAT is going out to pasture.

It's great to see a player of his caliber make the decision to go out on his terms while he is still at the top of his game.

I hope he stays retired rather than coming back after a year or two Brett Farve style. He has absolutely nothing left to achieve at this pointn

If he wants to continue to with football hopefully he goes into coaching or front office eork because I don't think he has the personality to go into broadcasting. Of course with his net worth he could also buy a team if he chooses to.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    I'm with Muddy, I want more than "sources" telling us this.

He's talked at length about wanting to play to 45, even 50. He's still a top 3 QB.

It could be true, but I want to hear it from him, not rumormongers looking for a "hot take."
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    >(CNN) - Tom Brady, a seven-time Super Bowl winner who is arguably the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, has decided to retire, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington and The Boston Globe, citing unnamed sources.<

Don’t think this would have been published unless there’s a legit confirmation
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    As a Tampa Bay Buc fan, I hope it's not true. But I'm afraid this time, it is. Bucs have salary cap issues, so the team will not be the same next year. He & Giselle are already worth over $200 million . Nothing to prove. Has 3 grade school-aged kids that he says he wants to watch grow up.

I don't see him as a coach. I don't really see him in the broadcast booth either. But he really doesn't need to DO anything at this point.
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    I think that his wife would kill him if he didn't finally retire. Leaving while he can still walk has got to be really attractive.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    The report may end up being true, but his agent and his father have stated publicly that he has not made a final decision yet. He agent said he is out of the country and will not be available for comment in the next week.

In the social media age, it seems that every reporter, even the good ones, want to scoop everyone else. It's more about the scoop than having a verified story.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I'm leaning towards it likely being true; where there's smoke there's fire - Schefter is probably the top NFL insider-guy and he's usually right - I recall similar rumors when Brady was in New England about him possibly leaving and at the time most people thought it was BS and that he'd never leave New England ans start over some place else.

As has been posted, the season ended badly, and the Bucs will have personnel issues going forward - also Bruce Arians is turning 70 and he gad previously retired bc of health issues; I wouldn't be surprised if Arians also called it quirs given what may be a Bucs rebuild.

All this is shaping up for it to be the right time for Brady to pull-the-plug.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I think he would do alright as a Broadcaster - he's smart; good-looking; and well-spoken - it would be an easy-job getting paid well and he'd stay close to the game - he'd likely only have to travel once per week for about half-the-year (easy gig).

Pre-Covid I would sometimes listen to a Monday-Night-Football pregame radio-show where Brady would have a cameo (over the phone) b/f evey MNF game l where he'd give his thought on the upcoming MNF game (he dud this every week) - I took that as him maybe preparing himself for a future broadcasting career but who knows.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    Generally is Schefter is reporting something, I assume that it's true. His track record is outstanding.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    When I saw Tom Brady engineer the greatest SB comeback win in 2017 (despite throwing a pick 6 early in the game and falling to a 25 point deficit), I asked myself "what the hell can he do for an encore" ?

I asked that same question last year when in his 1st year with his new team (Go Bucs!!), he led the Bucs to 3 playoff wins on the road, culminating with his 7th Super Bowl win (not to mention another SB MVP award in the 1st ever home Super Bowl game won by the home team playing in their home stadium).

Maybe the answer is to retire on his terms while he's still at the top of his game. If this rumor turns out to be true, look for rickdugan to post some Tom Brady accolades with emphasis on his NE Patriots tenure years.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    @Papi. Brady has been doing a podcast called "Let's Go" this entire football season with Larry Fitzgerald. It airs every Monday. It seems he's already started a mini broadcast career. He did say things in a round-about way regarding retirement last week, but he didn't say anything definite.

He is probably pissed that this broke because he said he didn't want his status to be a distraction from the teams still in the hunt. Who knows, maybe he will play one more year just to spite the people who are reporting this. He likes to do things on his terms.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ===> "If this rumor turns out to be true, look for rickdugan to post some Tom Brady accolades with emphasis on his NE Patriots tenure years."

You betcha. Brady gave us 20 years of championship football, including a dynastic run that has never been duplicated. For 20 years we started every single season believing that we could win it all. All the more impressive is that he did it in the salary cap era, when a sustained run of this duration was not supposed to be possible.

For Pats fans in their late teens and 20s they've known nothing else but hope and success from the first time they had long-term memory until Brady recently left. Just imagine that. Now I was already well along when the Pats finally won their first SB so i remember all those shitty years of Grogan, Flutie, Eason, Millen, Bledsoe et al. But for younger Pats fans it's undoubtedly a hard adjustment.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    From the little I've heard of the story it seems the "Brady camp" is not saying that he's not retiring but that "he hasn't made a decision" - which kinda gives more credence to him likely retiring.

Someone on the radio mentioned that Brady likely doesn't wanna take away attention from the remainder of the post-season and why he's mostly keeping quiet.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    He has a big chunk of bonus due this week, doubt he will officially retire until after that date. But I do think he'll retire. I wouldn't expect him to immediately pop up in an analyst role right away, if ever. But I do think I would laugh my ass off if he showed up on ESPN to call Mel Kiper a dumbass during draft analysis.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    The longer this goes on without a comment from the man himself, the more convinced I am that it's an accurate report, I can think of a million reasons for him to keep quiet for now, every one of them is financial.
  • GrayFox
    3 years ago
    one article says he will wait till this Friday to retire since he gets 15 million from his signing bonus. if he leaves before Friday he doesn't get the 15 million.
  • EndlessSummer
    3 years ago
    Open SmartNews and read "Tom Brady officially announces his retirement in heartfelt Instagram post" here: https://share.smartnews.com/qpnDC
    To read it on the web, tap here: https://share.smartnews.com/EkDFP
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    What a drama queen the GOAT has become. Go away already.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I don't think there was an rocket science or drama to this. Brady had decided to retire but there was a large bonus ($15MM ) for waiting until Friday. He confided in someone that he was going to do it. Then some little reporter wants to show the world he has Insder info goes out and tells the world. Tom didn't deny it, he just didn't want it to become public until Friday. I'm sure he went to the owners of the Bucs and negotiated something so he could come clean.

The drama was created by these Reporters that want to make themselves look important by BREAKING news first.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Next question: Could we see 2 QB's (Brady and Big Ben) be in the HOF induction Class of 2027 ? Either way, Big Ben has been upstaged by Tom Brady one more time.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Addendum: I believe the last time 2 QB's were inducted into HOF on their 1st year of eligibility was in 2005 with Dan Marino and Steve Young being inducted. It would be exciting to see Drew Brees (2026), Tom Brady (2027), and Ben Roethlisberger (2027) be inducted in short succession.
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    @warrior “The drama was created by these Reporters that want to make themselves look important by BREAKING news first.“

Scoops are measured in minutes, sometimes seconds. That is literally the main focus of their job, to be first and be accurate. They were first and they were accurate. Their motive was as Brady himself would say Do Your Job.
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    I wonder if rickdugan will change his avatar to Tom Brady in a bathing suit with a Pina Colada by his pool?

Naw, he didn't even change it to Brady in a Buccaneers uniform.😉😂
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    No shit, Sherlock. You're on top of things.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion