tuscl

Car kill switches

mark94
Arizona
Thursday, January 20, 2022 2:29 PM
As part of the so-called infrastructure bill from last year, all new cars beginning in 2026 are required to include a kill switch accessible by law enforcement. No limits are placed on how LE can use the switch. No limits are placed on whether LE will be able to track your car’s location. The government will be able to kill your car, temporarily or permanently, if you do something it doesn’t approve of. I’m sure we can trust the government to not abuse this power.

49 comments

• mark94
    3 years ago
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    Come now Mark Ape you don’t do anything interesting enough for the government to brick your car. Only special souls - souls with a destiny - need to worry about that shit. Besides, if you have a fucking brain you can bypass it. I programmed my Tesla to emulate my drunk driving just so I can have fun watching apes bounce off my hood while I two-fisted drink. And I’m a frickin’ lion. You know how hard it is to program when you have lion claws? It’s not easy but I’m a rick and I’m a lion so I can. ROAR!!!
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    more click bait from the conspiracy junkies What's True A section of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which passed Congress in December 2021 and has since become law, gave the federal government three years to establish a rule that would require new cars to be “equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology.” However … What's False Exactly what that new technology entails has yet to be determined. Furthermore, a host of factors may extend the 2024 deadline for the new rule. What's Undetermined There currently is no mention of a "kill switch" that law enforcement could use to "shut your car off."
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ PS that's from Snopes
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Here’s another one: the IRS announced that by the summer of 2022, the only way to log into [view link] will be through [view link]. The company has evolved to providing online ID verification services which several states are using to help reduce unemployment and pandemic-assistance fraud. The company claims to have 64 million users. The process of verification is lengthy and requires proving a scan of drivers license, phone number, utility records, and facial recognition. All of this data will be verified against data maintained by the government. Unless you successfully execute this verification, you won’t be able to contact the IRS about any issues. Again, I’m sure this will all go smoothly and the data provided won’t be misused.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    PS ... You're about to be told that Snopes is a mouthpiece for the liberal world order, etc., etc.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    This has been talked-about for years - I'm not for government mandates but I think this would be helpful - e.g. in the past it's been discussed as a way to avoid high-speed chases - I'm def more wary these days about giving government anymore power and perhaps there can be some unintended consequences which are not obvious right now but on the surface seems like it would be a good-idea to cut-down and/or eliminate car-chases.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @CMI We're used to being told that, our resident George Orwell 1984 fans don't believe anything that can't be confirmed by an independent Guliani/Lindell research team
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Yes, because whenever government grants itself emergency ( non constitutional ) powers to avert some crisis, they always quickly end these powers as soon as the crisis passes. And, the government never abuses these powers. Now, show me your papers, take this injection, and stop posting misinformation. Because, crisis.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    w.r.t. the IRS stuff - yeah - another double-edged-sword - unfortunately there is a lot of fraud w.r.t. government funds - IDK if it's still the case but a couple of years there was some kinda scam where criminals were getting fraudulent tax-refunds that went into the millions if not billions in fraudulent payments - so stuff like that needs to be tightened up - but the more information the government has about you at its fingertips the more control they have over you which they can use against you
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    If someone were mart enough to read the actual bill they would note it mentions infrared technology that will determine, via technology if you are operating the car properly, and if not will put on your flashers, pull the car over and kill the engine. The absolute disgrace is that anyone voted for this horrible legislation. Progressives = communists = the enemy of real Americans. Wah I am a democrat.
  • crsm27
    3 years ago
    The reasoning behind the "kill switch" is to stop the people from weaving around the road.... ie: Drunk or distracted drivers is the intent. BUTTTTTTTTT.... you should see how this could be used against people. Also you dont think someone will find away to hack it it? or what if it just malfunctions and your car "KILLS"... do you think the auto industry will stand behind this and "pay" for the new chips or what ever? Do you think that if your car "kills" and you get hit or rearended that the auto industry will "pay" for it or will it be on your insurance or the person who hits you insurance? Now I can see if the "kill" switch is to make it easier to put in those devices that will not let you start your car or drive your car if you do the breathalizer in your car and if any alcohol is detected it wont start your car. YOu know the once they put in if you have a DUI. If that "kill" switch is just to make putting in those machines easier... FINE. But the only way to "engage" that kill switch is to have that breathalizer machine attached.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    First they came .......
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    >Yes, because whenever government grants itself emergency ( non constitutional ) powers to avert some crisis, they always quickly end these powers as soon as the crisis passes. And, the government never abuses these powers.< What power has the government granted itself now, this is pure demagoguery Straw man style ? All this over something that does not exist, SMH
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    But you support the police and all it does.... Make your mind up I'm concerned about police cell phone hammers put up in areas. That's a huge civil rights violation
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^ This isn’t a police isssue yiu socially awkward numbnut! It’s about government mandates, yiu know, like Obama care? Everything f about Icee revolves around a culture war. What a fag! No wonder he’s the most ignored member when you combine this account with all of his other aliases.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    You actually said Kill switches for cops aren't about cops. They're like the affordable care act that makes it easier to get health insurance. You're a fucking retard.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^ you’re the equivalent of Alex Jones’ info wars, except yours is called “Culture Wars”! You’re so stupid Icee, yiu always take things out of context and put a spin on it just with a sole purpose to argue. No wonder you’re the most gated person here. Dumb is your first, middle, and last name.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    By the way dumb ass, yiu totally neglected that the kill switch is garnered from legislative members from the law that is proposed. I’m not against the law, just against your constant whining about creating an us vs them platitude, ie culture war. Your a stupid ass drug dealer who compensated for your lack of being part of the main stream, so you live to cry victimhood any chance you can. You’re a one note singer, and way out of tune at that, Icee homo!
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Icey is very typical of whiny Californians assigned female at birth.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I quoted you bitch. No one gives a fuck about your q anon tinfoil hat shit paranoid what if scenarios. Autistic fuck spamming the forum with this shit
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    "the IRS announced that by the summer of 2022, the only way to log into [view link] will be through [view link]. The company has evolved to providing online ID verification services which several states are using to help reduce unemployment and pandemic-assistance fraud. The company claims to have 64 million users. The process of verification is lengthy and requires proving a scan of drivers license, phone number, utility records, and facial recognition. All of this data will be verified against data maintained by the government. Unless you successfully execute this verification, you won’t be able to contact the IRS about any issues." Any chance we can get them to start using this as a form of ID verification for voting? Personally, as someone who works as a fraud investigator for a credit card company I would love it if we could start using this tech when people open new accounts. I have seen way too many cases of family members, friends and trusted caretakers stealing someone's ID to rack up massive debt that could be greatly reduced with such technology. As for the cars I wouldn't be opposed to mandatory devices that prevent someone who is drunk from driving the same way they require them for people who have had a DUI. Better yet, have the system charge them with something like "attempted DUI" if they try to drive while intoxicated. Maybe they could even figure out a way to have the same device tied into a national insurance database that would prevent the car from being driven when it isn't insured.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The problem isn’t with the theory but with the execution. To prevent DUI, LE will be given a back door to shut down any car for any reason it seems appropriate. Unpaid tickets. Suspected of a crime. Pissed off a cop. The list goes on.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    “ No one gives a fuck about your q anon tinfoil hat “ I read a lot of conservative websites. I have never read anything about, or from, someone or something called QAnon. The only time I see that term is when someone on the left wants to discredit something on the right. I don’t think QAnon exists anywhere except in the head of lefties.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    This is not a new idea. I have always opposed it because it means that you cannot alter the vehicle. And it will be abused. We must be vigilant and stop stuff like this. SJG Weather Report - Live at Montreux (1976) [Remastered] (really good!) [view link]
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The theory behind the IRS is a good one. Let’s prevent fraud. The problem is with the execution. I’ve had issues connecting with government websites in the past. When you hit a glitch, there is no recourse. If the data you enter doesn’t exactly match their database ( sometimes a formatting mistake ), that’s it. Dead end. When trying to communicate with the IRS, that’s a problem.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    When a democrat mentions Trump or the news you read, it is just their way of saying: "You're right and I am wrong". Accept it and move along.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    I believe you can talk to the IRS f2f. I have talked with them over the phone. It all went okay and they were quite reasonable. SJG Weather Report - Live at Montreux (1976) [Remastered] [view link]
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... Any chance we can get them to start using this as a form of ID verification for voting ..." Exactly - they want "max identification" when it's convenient and no-identification also when it's convenient (rigging-elections) - in Washington D.C. one needs a vax ID as well as a personal ID to have a freaking hamburger in a restaurant but voter ID in order to elect a president for 300+ million people and the leader-of-the-free world "is not something we need an ID for nor should be enforced" - hard to believe what America has devolved to - I guess sayings are sayings for a reason and one of those is "all great empires fall from within"
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    “… I’ve had issues connecting with government websites in the past. When you hit a glitch, there is no recourse. If the data you enter doesn’t exactly match their database ( sometimes a formatting mistake ), that’s it. Dead end …” Yeah – I’ve had this issue – I handle my mom’s and aunt’s affairs – they are elderly and also don’t speak English nor know how to use technology (internet; etc) – I’ve def had issues in the past where they ask questions for verification which is stuff my aunt and mom don’t remember often asking about things going way back many years – I haven’t had nearly the same issues when handling their affairs w.r.t. non-government things.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Cradle to grave nanny state intent upon control over every aspect of our lives. The democrat party and their criminally complicit enablers in the liberal media are a clear and present danger to our constitutional republic and freedom. If you are too dumb to see it or too obstinate to admit it, then you are part of the problem. Government of the people, by the people, and for the people is being destroyed in our lifetimes.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Here’s a lot more detail on how the ID verification works. Not good. [view link]
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Losing one's freedom is like putting on weight. One day you look in the mirror and realize you're 20 pounds heavier. One day you look into the telescreen and some bitter hag like AOC is leading you through the two minutes of hate.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    CoVid has run its course in the UK and they have dropped all their vaccine mandates and mask requirements. Statistically, we are 2-3 weeks behind the UK in terms of new CoVid cases. The numbers have already peaked, especially on the East coast, and should soon plunge. Will our government follow the lead of the UK and let us return to normal next month ? I have my doubts.
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    Mark Ape and Gamma Ape, as a rick I agree with you in principle. But I also want you to recognize that the government only cares about interesting souls. Neither of you are interesting enough for the government to give a shit about you. That is your blessing. And your curse. ROAR!!!
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Update: Ireland has just announced that all CoVid restrictions ( masks, vaccines, social distancing ) will end on Sunday. Regular life returns.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    ^^^^^^ Awesome! Now we just need to get them to stop talking about that so called vaccine! SJG
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    ismael "PS ... You're about to be told that Snopes is a mouthpiece for the liberal world order, etc., etc." Snopes check on if Susan Rosenberg is a terrorist: [view link] but snopes was always crap even before they became political.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Lol
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Has there ever been a time when you were in a police chase that you got away bc a kill switch was not able to be used on your car? No? Then WHY do you care? It’s laughable.
  • Musterd21
    2 years ago
    In the old days we would shoot out your tires. Now they use stop sticks………..
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    I farted and da car died
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    >Then WHY do you care? It’s laughable. A vehicle kill switch accessible by government could easily be abused. Do people want the possibility of losing access to their cars as easily as they are banned from social media for wrong think?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    So those of you who support cops don't trust them with a kill switch for your car? But you trust them to make decisions whether or not to shoot someone? 🤡
  • CandymanOfProvidence
    2 years ago
    So let me get this straight: I am speeding home to go to the bathroom, LE sees me and kills my car, so not only do I get a ticket but I foul the interior? I guess I'll have to mount a toilet behind the wheel.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    I would like to see the cops stand outside the polls and shoot every Democrat. The cops won't oversee this; an on-board computer makes the call. You almost get car-jacked, but you get away. You swerve to avoid the homeless drunk lying in the street; thinking you are drunk progressive technology pulls your car over to the side and shuts you down. You are then killed, and they don't get the car which will not start. AOC declares it a victory for the environment and society because the driver was a rich white man.......................
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I am opposed to such kill switches. They will be misused and they could cause serious collisions. They could also malfunction and cause serious collisions. SJG Drive My Car - MonaLisa Twins (The Beatles Cover) [view link] [view link]
  • sideshow_bob
    2 years ago
    Incredibly dangerous idea. What could possibly go wrong with wireless remote kill switch?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    But it's controlled by the 🐖 🚔 😂😂
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion