tuscl

Christmas $$$

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I don’t know why, but every year right around this time I feel I need to buy all this crap I don’t need. I think it’s the constant advertising around us 24/7 especially around the holidays. I need a new TV, I need a new iPhone, I need a new computer… then I’m like wait, I don’t need any of that crap!

Anyone else get suckered in during the holidays? I was finally able to get my hands on a new xBox and I only use the one I have now 4 times a year…

I think what’s saving me is everywhere I go browse they are out of stock on most items!

23 comments

• jackslash
    3 years ago
    What are you giving me this year?
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    ^a gently used Xbox, Jacklash.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I'm a saver by nature even as a little-kid - for the most-part I buy things when I need them vs bc I can.

During Christmas pretty-much all my spending is on others - sometimes when I need something and it's close to Christmas shopping season (past Thanksgiving) I may wait to get it then thinking I'll get a good/better deal.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... I think what’s saving me is everywhere I go browse they are out of stock on most items ..."

About 2 weeks ago I was ordering some stuff on Amazon that I've ordered in the past - 3 of the 4 things I wanted to order were not currently available.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    At this time of year, the "It's a gift from me to me!" rationalization is very strong.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Yeah so frustrating. Not all about me, my wife and I adopt 4 “needy” kids every year for Christmas. They have very simple Christmas lists and I can’t even find the stuff on their list. Lego, Hot Wheels, Barbie. WalMart and Target looks like they were ransacked on Black Friday and haven’t stocked since then.

Kids might be getting chain saws and Olive Garden gift cards for Christmas because that’s all I can find.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I don’t really need too much outside of strip club stuff at the moment. I’m saving for a new used car and always saving for poon
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Via my connections to local artists and artisans, it's been great for them. People who can't find anything in the big box stores are running to local craftspeople for gifts. The overall situation isn't great economically, but for some small businesses it's a banner year.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    I have children. 'Nuff said. But I do keep a little extra aside for the club stripper rush during the week leading up to Xmas. 😉
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I can't find the things I want. Even gifts for others. Stores don't have much in stocks. And are trying to get rid of old or defected shit.
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    Black Friday sucked me in this year with the deals for family, but honestly as I've aged I really crave experiences more than things. I don't need to show off my money so a decent car, a decent phone, decent clothes is fine for me.

I have my Nerd hobby I do keep sinking more cash into, but it's not something I spend on during the holidays.

Sex toys and lingerie for my partners is also a year round expense.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    It's weird and there's gotta be something subliminal, because I feel it, too. I keep having to pull myself back and remind myself there's plenty underneath the Christmas tree. I don't need to spend more on stuff I want them to have, when they have everything they want.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I’m when my daughters were younger, it was easy to see how toy companies (and retailers) would amp up their advertising around the holidays. It definitely created additional demand for certain toys.

Now that they are in college and high school, the items they want are different, but there is still that artificially inflated demand. Instead of dolls and other toys, it’s now newer cell phones and higher end clothing.

Then there’s tuition…the gift they won’t appreciate until they are much older.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I apologize, I forgot to mention that since my daughters have gotten more mature, and we watch less television, I’m not as interested in buying items for myself.

I’m good with material items. I got a new vehicle two years ago, so I’m good on material fronts.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    I'm a happily single guy, I see something, I buy it, I own all the material shit I want. No waiting for Christmas.

Instead of stuff, as presents I promised my family and closest friends that I'll either fly them into Mass, or meet up with them elsewhere, for a long weekend of memories together.

One buddy in particular is due for a long weekend of New England strip clubbing.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Correction, I'm always bargain-hunting for stock recommendations.

(if you PM me about crypto or NFTs, I will end you, kthx)
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I usually buy some trinkets for my kids and my nieces and nephews, but I always enclose some money, that's usually the most appreciated.
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    shailynn:
    " my wife and I adopt 4 “needy” kids every year for Christmas. They have very simple Christmas lists and I can’t even find the stuff on their list. Lego, Hot Wheels, Barbie."

You should try visiting some flea markets this weekend. Inside flea markets around me usually have permanent vendors and some are toy collectors that have new hot wheels etc.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    The Holidays are generally a time of well wishing, and I do go along with that. It offsets the psychological effects of the shortening days and the lowering sun angle.

But I don't care for the commercial dimension.

I think Christmas must have come from the very high latitudes, places where you can easily see that by the 25th you are far enough beyond the solstice that the light is indeed coming back.

SJG
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    There are some things that I would like to buy but pass on when I check the label and see Made in China. We need to stop financing our enemy.

Fortunately the internet allows you to find things that are still made in the USA. It's cool what you can find when you look for it.
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    I wrote: "Inside flea markets..."

I mean indoor flea markets.
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    Honestly I get shopping fatigue pretty quickly and the crowds make it worse.

I do admit I bought myself a couple of icetrays for spherical ice when I was in Williams Sonoma. Kinda funny tho I drink cognac and always neat. Maybe for that double oak whisky or rye I occasionally drink. That stuff got some burn.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Once I walked into Macy's on Dec 26, and bought two full boxes of Christmas cards for using next year, at a deep discount.

The store though looked like a tornado had blown through it.

And once I was buying housewares gifts on the 24th, and I was able to get some good discounts on some generous gifts for a number of people, friends and family of my then wife.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion