tuscl

OTC: Is spirit/frontier worth it for atl roundtrip?

Estafador
BIG APPLE
Tuesday, September 28, 2021 1:25 AM
It's OT sort of. I remember before I did read about going to ATL, now I'm going to actually start making plans. It seems that on November 18th is The Sweet Spot to do a round trip from NYC to ATL. Spirit and Frontier Airline is offering $53 round trip for that flight on the 18th of November. JetBlue however is offering $97 for a round-trip flight. Now given that is this going to be around a 2-hour flight I wanted to know if it was worth being cute just implied because reservation for Housing Authority more expensive for should you still pay the bigger bucks. Considering I'm over 6 ft and I never flown before, I don't want to be too uncomfortable but I don't want to pay too much just for two hours flying comfort. And I still don't know whether to get the hotel or do an Airbnb. And of course there's the consideration of either ubering everywhere or renting a car which definitely will not be no Toyota Corolla or Prius or whatever.

32 comments

• Estafador
    3 years ago
    Should have also ring that I'm not even sure if I want to wait that long. Shoot for sometime in October
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Whatever happenes let me know, I live where Frontier is a hub and was considering going out during a flight deal or two. And flying out for shorter trips than driving for longer trips. 🤔
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Not an Atlanta trip but I'm 6'3 and did Phoenix to Denver (one-way) on Frontier, only about 90 mins, but that sucked. Can't remember bag fees or anything, but I would fly that airline again. Delta Comfort+ --- more leg room and free booze!
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Wouldn't* fly that airline again
  • doctorevil
    3 years ago
    You can check out seat pitch and widths for different airlines here: [view link] Both Spirit and Frontier range from slightly below average to above average in both measurements, depending on the specific aircraft/configuration. Shouldn't be any more uncomfortable on either of them as compared to a major airline.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    after seeing all that nonsense with spirit I would say fuck that
  • From978
    3 years ago
    At first I was going to say you should probably avoid Spirit unless you absolutely needed the few bucks fare difference. But when you mentioned not having flown before, I revised that to ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use Spirit. (1) I used to travel a lot, and I tried Spirit several times. Something always went wrong. Lost luggage, cancelled flights, late flights, paid upgrades that I didn't get. Those are all things that happen occasionally on any airline, but with Spirit you should expect them every time. (2), since you've been to strip clubs, you know how upsells work. Spirit is a master of the upsell. They will charge extra for everything except using the bathroom. They display a low price so they come up first in your search, but by the time you book, it's $45 more. It's busy while since I've used Frontier, but I don't recall any serious problems. As to seat comfort, them days is gone. Prepare to be squeezed on any flight.
  • From978
    3 years ago
    Correction: it's -- been a while--
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    I will walk before I fly Spirit again.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    If you are bringing along luggage you’re better off doing a better known airline like southwest or American. They’re more reliable and you don’t want anything to go rong with delays or lost luggage with a shit airline like Spirit. Spirit and those discount airlines are only worth it if you have no luggage or even carry one they will charge you $50-$75 just to carry on. If you’re planning a trip where your spending $$ anyway, just splurge to make sure you’re going to have a good experience, IMO. Just say no to discourage t airlines unless you have nothing that you’re bringing with you except the clothes on your back.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    ^^^ Uh huh... sure. *That's* why you want to put your dick in a guy's mouth...
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Proof that ignorance is found from all backgrounds and isn’t immune from certain groups.
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    Spirit charges for everything so that 53 price will easily be around 100 after bags etc. my brother is 6’8 and flew spirit and loved it. My other friends and fam hate spirit with a passion. I usually just fly delta or United where my flights are comfy and my bags are free!
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    I hate Spirit and will pay more just to avoid them. The ONLY time I will use Spirit is if they are the only direct route to my destination, which is more often than I like. Their planes are pretty new but always dirty, and their seats are uncomfortable for long haul trips. When you get into a Spirit plane you fell like you’re on a bus because their interiors are so stripped down. BUT a 2 hour flight isn’t that long. $53 for a ticket. If you want to pick your seat that’ll be about $20 each way, and checking your luggage is around $35 each way. Don’t bother with a carryon because they’ll charge you around $30 each way for that unless you can stow it under your seat. That’s why I always check my bags with Spirit. Also you will be sitting next to some derelicts. People that would never usually fly but are because it’s so damn cheap. Only used frontier twice. They were briefly at my home airport but pulled out. I can’t remember anything about those flights.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    As others have said, Spirit sucks. It's an extra charge to pre-select your seat and every bag larger than a laptop carrier is surcharged - no free luggage carryon. But what sucked the most the one time I flew them were the seats - it was like sitting on a hard bench with a thin cushion. That Jetblue flight will likely be cheaper after factoring added charges. It will also definitely be more comfortable.
  • MaxMaxima
    3 years ago
    Roll with Jet Blue. More legroom, carry on a bag for no extra and won't be treated like cattle.
  • Estafador
    3 years ago
    Dear goodness, the amount of hate for spirit is amazing. The one thing that brings everyone together is their hate of spirit airlines. Well dang guess I'm avoiding them like the plague. Don't see much hate for frontier but I hear their both similar in experience so I guess I'll just avoid that too. Phew what a bullet to dodge. @desertscrub not sure why i haven't ignored you yet, but if your gay that's cool. I'm not though so find another man for your fantasies please.
  • Estafador
    3 years ago
    It really sucks all the seating comfortably is the same across all domestic airlines these days. Being 6'5" is going to suck flying. So then would AA be better than jet blue then? Didn't look at that pricing yet.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Between 2014 and 2019 I used to hit ATL 1x to 2x per year to SC and I always flew Spirit – I knew I was gonna spend a small-fortune clubbing for a few days in ATL (me being into variety and-all meaning I would often hit multiple clubs and get w/ many different dancers); so I wanted to save where I could (probably mostly “psychological” to not feel as bad about all the $$$ I was spending LOL). I never had a problem w/ Spirit per se but in the future I may opt for a different airline if the price difference is not huge (many of the major airlines have been forced to compete w/ the budget-airlines to where often the price-difference is not that great). The negatives of Spirit from my POV (have never flown Frontier but I assume it applies to them as well): + often not as many flights during the day so may be harder to make-it to your destination around a particular time desired + with rock-bottom prices one often gets rock-bottom custies – a lot of normal people fly on Spirit to save $$$ but IMO/IME it seems you get more shitty/rude people on cheap airlines like Spirit + the seats are fixed in place and do not recline – w.r.t. leg-room it’s not great but seems a bit-better than in years-past – I’m barely 5’10 and remember having a bit of a hard-time in years past getting in the seat but in the last couple of years it seems a bit better but not great by any means As others have mentioned, add-on$ can make it to where the ticket comes out about the same or close-to other airlines: + most airlines allow you to pick a seat of the seats available – Spirit charges you if you wanna pick a seat (e.g. isle or window seat; a particular row; etc) – if you don’t pay to pick a seat then your seat is randomly assigned to you + carry-ons – this is a BIG ONE – AFAIK almost all airlines allow free carry-on(s) – Spirit charges you for a carry-on; I think $25/carry-on but don’t remember – and how they really nail-you is that if you don’t pay for the carry-on at the time you purchase your ticket online and show up at the gate thinking you can just go on the plane w/ your carry-on as w/ most airlines, w/ Spirit they will charge you a $100-fee for each carry-on you have if you didn’t prepay for the carry-on when you bought your ticket – many people unfamiliar w/ Spirit have been clobbered like this + also drinks and snacks are not free on Spirit and have to be purchased; even water – and you have to use a credit/debit card; i.e. they don’t take cash – what I often do is take an empty water-bottle w/ me then fill it once I’m past security b/f I get on the plane (you can’t go thru security w/ a water-bottle w/ water in it but can go thru it w/ an empty one) + I think they also charge-you if you gotta print a boarding-pass at the airport but that should be a non-issue today w/ the use of smartphones I’ve never had to pay for a carry-on b/c Spirit allows a “personal item” – a personal-item is a purse; a briefcase; or a backpack (like a school backpack) – there is no charge for those – I have a large 17” laptop and bought a backpack that has a sleeve/compartment for the laptop so I can carry-it-around – when I do my ATL-trips I use this backpack and leave the laptop at home and my backpack is all the luggage I take since I’m only in ATL to SC and don’t need much w/ me so I take the bare-min that can fit in the backpack – the backpack/personal-item is supposed to fit under your seat but since I put a fair-amount of stuff in-it it can get a little bulky and I can have a hard-time fitting-it under the seat so I usually just put it in the overhead compartment and have never been told anything (but I assume on a very-full-flight they may ask you to put it under your seat so they can store conventional carry-ons in the overhead bins). [back in 2019 I had an out-of-state TUSCLer in town - he flew on Spirit and had a gym-bag as his carry-on I believe for which he did not have to pay as a carry-on - while downhere the zipper on his gym-bag broke and he bought a different small-bag at a store downhere - when he flew-back his new bag did not meet the "personal-item" size-requirements and I think he was hit w/ a $100 carry-on fee (they have a box at the gate that measures carry-on sizes) - needless to say he was pissed and vowed never to fly Spirit again] I’ve managed to always pay the bare-fee w/ no add-ons but one has to dot their i's and cross their t’s.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    So I would say "it's worth it" b/c one can at times save a good-amount of $$$; but the price-difference is not always huge and in the future I think I'll opt for a different airline if the price-diff is not that great.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Net Jets if you get the chance, you’ll never fly spirit or any othe low rent airline again
  • Estafador
    3 years ago
    @twentyfive "Net Jets" is the actual name of the airline or do you mean JetBlue? I'm 6'5" so I'm going to need the aisle seat too
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Net Jets is an actual airline that is also called fractional ownership you buy time and get to fly in gulfstreams and the like, you choose your destinations and there are no discounts available, but for your money it’s the closest thing to actually owning your own transportation
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    I can top your suggestion, 25. How's this: "Charter a BBJ to get a BBJ on OTC in ATL." Go to [view link], and charter a Boeing Business Jet (BBJ). Average rates for this aircraft are ~ $12.4K per hour. Hey don't screw around with $53 fares on cheapo airlines when you can get a ride befitting the Tuscl $350K plus club. Net Jets fractional share on a jet fleet 1/6 to 1/3 the gross weight of BBJ... Pshaw!! YOLO, and I expect nothing less than a Papi A-grade review from Estafador on his ATL escapade.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “ ride befitting the Tuscl $350K plus club.” I’m surprised someone actually remembers that figure!
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    $350K is not what it used to be
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    “… there's the consideration of either ubering everywhere or renting a car …” ATL is pretty-spread-out – Uber def adds-up if one is out-and-about and being there as a tourist vs business/work where one would like to be going to multiple different places or clubs – I would assume Ubering would be more-expensive and one will be more limited. Rentals have come-down in certain areas but seem still high in others (IDK about ATL). Pre-Covid when I hit ATL I would jump thru some hoops to save $$$ on my rental - I would often rent off-airport – airport rentals are often more expensive and at times 2x especially if there happens to be something going in town those days and there are more people than usual coming into the area and needing rentals – my M.O. used to mainly be getting a hotel that had free-airport pick-up then I would rent from Enterprise and have them pick me up at my hotel – but IME Enterprise has gone to shit in the last few years where at many locations I've had issues getting a rental – but Enterprise used to have a great weekend-special where one could get a car for as low as $10/day (later it went up to about $15/day) but I don't think they have it post-Covid – the caveats of the Enterprise weekend-special was one had to rent it Fr-Mo; mileage was limited to 300-miles for those 3-days (which usually wasn’t a problem but if one went over it was only like 20-cents/mile); and it didn’t apply to the airport location – but anyway in general I often avoid renting at the airport if I can b/c it’s often significantly more expensive – I use the BJ’s (similar to a Cosco) travel website which list all rental cars from all companies in a given city; I use the BJ’s travel website to look at the prices then go to the actual car-rental-website and do the rental there and the prices have usually matched: [view link] ^ I use that website and sort the results by price low-to-high
  • JimGassagain
    3 years ago
    ^^^ he’s an angry Scrub! Bacon!!
  • From978
    3 years ago
    So, did you make the trip? How did it go?
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    I have been burned by every single airline. Consistently. Good ones and bad. I would gladly pay several hundred $$ more on my ticket to get direct flights, cause otherwise I'm always stuck for hours. It's a crapshoot.
  • From978
    3 years ago
    Uh, guys:. His trip is over; you can stop advising him. I was just hoping Estafador would give us a report.
  • Estafador
    3 years ago
    ^^ got delayed due to emergency situations. Going late December
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion