tuscl

TUSCL Culinary Skills

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Stuck at home for the past year many of us have gotten creative in the kitchen. We all aren’t as gifted as jackslash but...

What’s something new you’ve made that ended up turning out good?

For me I never cooked lamb on my own before, but found a good recipe for lamb chops which had a nice “encrusted” topping. The first time I did a whole of half a rack (can’t remember) which was expensive (I think it was close to $50) but now I just pick up 4 chops, prepare it all, bake 2 one night and throw the other two in the fridge and do them the next night.

I also did an amazing lobster and crab dish which requires tempering of eggs. I don’t think I ever had a recipe require that and it’s not easy. Recipe was very difficult and time consuming, but after the first time it’s gotten much easier, that egg tempering part is still nerve racking but using 4 hands helps prevent screw ups.

Making a few of these dishes has really made me ore critical of the food I get when dining out. I’ve even been making my own pizza picking up dough at the grocery store, but my pizza isn’t near as good as some local choices, plus it’s not any cheaper when you throw all the ingredients in.

16 comments

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I have been cooking lamb chops as an appetizer for years, just buy a rack of lamb then separate each rib, rub with kosher salt and fresh slivered garlic, wrap the tip of each rib with a small square of aluminum foil, squeeze a few lemons over them and let them marinate in the fridge overnight, 30-40 minutes before you want to serve them turn your barbecue on high, lay them out cook about 3-4 minutes on each side serve with mint jelly if you like or naked if you prefer makes excellent appetizers serve hot
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    I did a paella the other night with shrimp, chicken and chorizo. Turned out great.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I do great BBQ ribs and shrimp al diablo.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I prepare a mean Chef Boyardee
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    ^^^If Chef Boyardee counts then me knowing exactly the time in the microwave my Spaghettios needs should count too.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    When I was locked down from traveling early last spring, I went to Target and bought a crockpot. I found some recipes on the internet for Chile, Beef Broccoli and Chile Verde. I was never a great cook but those were some great dishes that fed me for a few days.
  • Ulrik79
    3 years ago
    I've been really into sous vide cooking lately; steaks, chops, fish, etc. Always cook it to the minimum for safe food and then usually toss it into a really hot pan for a reverse sear. Take the drippings from the sous vide bag and make a reduction using homemade bbq sauce or hot sauce. Since it sits in my immersion circulator for minimum 10 hours, the meat is so tender.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    We used to heat up Chef Boyardee on the construction sites for lunch by putting the can in the engine compartment of our work trucks.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    My college dorm had water so hot we could turn on the faucets and make a steam bath better than any health club. Great for hangovers. Also for heating up cans of Spaghettios. That was the serious gourmet shit.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Just cooking for one has slowed me down a lot when it comes to cooking. But one of my specialties is pickled eggs.
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    Food is for losers who don't eat pussy.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    Osso buco cooked sous vide.
  • MackTruck
    3 years ago
    Chacken Fangers in da air fryer!
  • Daddillac
    3 years ago
    I've had my sous vide about 5 years... absolutely love it. I use it a lot to cook for just me or meal prep for the week if I am in town.
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    I cook a lot. New for 2020 was I started curing and smoking my own bacon. It’s pretty easy to do and I’ll plan to start experimenting with new flavors now that I have the technique down. Also, when I don’t feel like smoking a whole 15 lb brisket for time limitations or not enough guests, I’ve learned to do a poor man’s brisket with chuck roast. I make something called Mississippi pot roast and it’s no fuss, more reliable than brisket and only 3-6 lbs before cooking. I’m gonna start tinkering with the flavors here too.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Anybody had any experience cooking with a Ninja indoor grill and air fryer?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion