tuscl

Do men who choose to not get married/children get to live life for themselves?

PS: I'm only asking because you guys give insightful answers; I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I have realized that growing up; most people live for their parents. They don't get to do whatever they want since they have to follow what their parents, teachers, and classmates say. At the same time, people who choose to have children live for their children. Their decision is based on "What is best for the children" as opposed to "What is best for me."

Meanwhile, it seems that once men get to work(maybe a have a small business), there's very little they can't do. For instance, there's this guy who lives this sort of "bachelor lifestyle." He can travel to many cheap countries, easily get laid, go to the best restaurants, dedicate himself to his passions, maybe write music or learn a new language. It seems that for most people, this "window of opportunity" is only available when they are in their 20's when they are free from their parents but also their children. Once they have children, it seems their priorities shift, and they have to settle for whatever job they can get.

Most people assumed that you need to be "rich" to live for yourself. But I think this not to be true. I believe there comes the point where you have enough money to live a good life, maybe living off your investments, among other ways.

27 comments

• SanchoRG
    4 years ago
    What does it cost to raise a kid to 18? Keep paying benefits until 24? Add college to that...

What does it cost to divorce a wife? Multiple wives?

Lots of opportunity for interest to compound without those expenses
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    In my view - I think everyone must answer to someone. I don’t think there is anyone who lives a fully unencumbered life.

If a man is unmarried, has no children, is not part of a long term relationship, has a good paying job, and he has no addictions (booze, drugs, gambling, overspending, whores) - then he may be able to live a very nice lifestyle.

If you are one of those types, congratulations!
    4 years ago
    “ then he may be able to live a very nice lifestyle.” In whose eyes?

Sounds like you’re describing Ted Kazinski, the unabomber. Check out the Manhunter series on netflix to see how that works out for him.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    If a man chooses the right women, he is free from looking to impress women the rest of his life through ridiculous materialistic means. He centers himself on what matters most, his family and is free from trying to decide what he should do with the rest of his time on his hands. He is free from making another date to fill the void in his life, because sitting on the couch with sweatpants on watching a movie with loved ones is enough.

Yeah, you can be single and free to do what you want, but the cost is enormous especially on your psyche. Remember, freedom is never free. My advice is choose wisely your partner. Finding the right partner is the easiest path to prosperity, both in wealth and health. However, finding the rong partner is the quickest way to destroy your wealth and health.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Sounds like a question asked by someone who has never been in a long term committed relationship. If you look at this purely as a freedom or financial equation you’ll steer yourself towards a single lifestyle. If you consider the benefits of a long term relationship and raising a family, which are immeasurable in dollars and indeed come at a cost, you should ask yourselves why hundreds of millions of people still opt for it. Maybe there’s something to it?
  • herbtcat
    4 years ago
    @Beat100 look up "Maslow Hierarchy of Needs" and spend some time chewing on that. Then review your questions and let us know if you find any answers.
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Well, cubs and apelings are the future. Thus, superior beings (aka ricks) should reproduce and nurture their offspring.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The life described by Cash is a life bereft of joy imo and this is not an attack on the poster. If you always do what you want ... you end up alone. At a friend's wedding first a minister spoke and gave the usual drivel and then a rabbi spoke about how marriage will always be successful as long as the couple understands basic math. You see he said, 1+1 does not equal 1. 1+1 = 2 and as long as the couple remembers that while together they are one, they will always remain two individuals, they will be successful. The one thing I don't do clubbing is go outside the club ...ever ... for anyone ... for any reason. I can strip club go on golf trips with my friends gamble until 5 am (I feel like shit) and still have a very happy long term marriage. Marry your best friend to whom you are sexually attrated.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    @herbtcat, Maslow himself later stated that the order in the hierarchy “is not nearly as rigid” as he originally suggested. Many people have adequate self esteem and progress toward self actualization without the traditional marriage/kids paradigm.

@Beat100, You do you. If you're single and happy, cool. If you're single and lonely, fix it. I, personally, am happier and healthier (and wealthier) being single than I ever was in either of my marriages. I have plenty of close connections with friends and family. I don't feel lonely when I'm alone. And I like the "buzz" of a new relationship more than the comfort(and complacency)of long term monogamy.

• Beat100
    4 years ago
    @JustiTolook
    Thanks for the comment. I think this sexual revolution paradigm has given people many options which would have been denied in the past. Before, I feel that everyone had to follow a rigid path. Nowadays with things like digital nomadism as well as people not marrying young. I feel other ways of living/lifestyles.
  • skinnywhiteboy
    4 years ago
    I've never been married, Have no kids, and two roommates. I Make okay money but nothing special ($30 a hour) both my roommates make roughly the same amount. We're not rich but our lifestyle choices have put us in a position where we can live in a really nice house fully loaded with the latest toys, drive luxury/sports cars, have $1,500 or so a month for fun money, and still save for retirement.

If I had a wife and kids I'd need to make triple at least to live my current lifestyle
  • 8TM
    4 years ago
    I think politics is going to become an issue.

There has been a rising tide of rhetoric from both the left and the right about “encouraging family formation”. They won’t be able to do much about wages or education or childcare, so the first bipartisan measure to go into law will be a bachelor tax on unmarried men. Then they’ll just keep doubling down with more punitive taxes and abrogations of rights.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Unfortunately marriage in this country has become an unrecognizable no-win cluster fuck.

At the same time, it is pretty empty to wake up every day and have nothing else but to ask "what will make me happy today?"

Men need a reason to work besides self enjoyment.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    "bachelor tax on unmarried men."

oh yeah. well if that is the case there better be strip clubs and brothels every ten 10 blocks like there are dunkin donut shops and delis.
  • shailynn
    4 years ago
    “You are either married and miserable or single and lonely” - Chris Rock

85% of the time I get along just fine with my wife, but there are days when I’m really close to leaving and going and getting a one bedroom apartment eating the food I want and going and doing whatever I want. But I don’t, because I may need someone to change my diapers one day when I’m 90, and hopefully she’ll be there to do it.

I may add I have several male friends in their 40s that have never been married. They all are missing something - at least one of these: ambition, maturity, financial independence, work ethic, still lives with parents or depends on parents financially. That’s why they are single.

I know several attractive women in their 30s-40s that have good jobs and never have been married. They are just bat shit crazy. Many have dreamt up this certain “ideal” guy they want to marry and they won’t accept anything less than that in reality. In other words those women are still, just bat shit crazy.

Now, I know several divorced men AND women who swear they will never marry again and I can understand that. ALL of them have complained to me at one time or another that they often get lonely. This all goes back to Chris Rocks quote.
  • CJKent_band
    4 years ago
    @Beat100

I will play along and answer your question:

Q: Do men who choose to not get married/children get to live life for themselves?

A: No

What we perceive a “free choice” is really determined by our biology and environment, so men don’t really “choose”, it depends on the individual’s environment/circumstances.

In any case marriage/monogamy is a social structure; as our ancestors developed gradually into hunters, (and later farmers and formed civilizations) to secure the cooperation of all males in the group with the assurance of “reproductive rights”.

Men, and women, are not biologically or psychologically disposed to marry "Until Death Do Us Part".

Humans have psychological and biological tendencies to promiscuity.

Belief often times cause the death of reason; you might believe that you are behaving in a way that is your choice, but you might discover later that that wasn’t the case.

I would recommend to listen to all the advice and then listen to your “conscience”, your gut feeling, your heart, and make an educated, informed decision and act on it, and learn from your experiences and keep doing what is right for you.

Remember not everyone is going to agree with you and your decisions and life choices or lifestyle, just find your place in this life where you will be accepted and respected by those you care about.

But Moore than anything “do something”, take some kind of action to try to create the life you really want to live.

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
    ~Mahatma Gandhi
  • THE CHAINDOG
    4 years ago
    Soon to retire after almost 29 years L.E.O. I am unmarried and no kids, 72 percent pention. I am a legit millionare. All I want is a good dog and nudie bars to play in!
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    There are many rewards to being married and having children. I don't regret it. However, it was only after my children grew up and I got divorced that I was able to live for myself. Now that I'm retired I do whatever I want all day every day.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    It's a lot more than a simple financial analysis. Sure my kids cost me a bloody fortune, but it is outweighed by all of the benefits they bring to my life. Sure I have to tailor much of my life around the needs of the family, but they also provide meaning and purpose that I would otherwise not have.

Some guys are fine living the lonely single life forever, always on the fringe and never fully participating in all that life has to offer. Instead they fill their days worrying about mundane stuff like where to eat and how to pass all the empty hours. They have few if any friends because, let's face it, most of their old friends have moved on to fuller lives and the new guys they do meet are also living a different lifestyle. Also single childless guys over a certain age are often treated with distrust, especially in places that are geared towards families.

But with all that said, to each his own. I once considered the same things after my first (and hopefully only) divorce, but I was still young and my desire to live a fuller life outweighed my desire to remain unburdened.
  • PutaTester
    4 years ago
    If I had known then....
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    I wonder if the OP is one day going to become the next RooshV and embrace Christ in the next 5-10 years 🤓
  • MrBeavis
    4 years ago
    I am exactly the guy described in this post. $ not an issue, never been in long term relationship or had kids. I travel, gamble, golf and hobby a lot. Guilt free. I guarantee that every guy who responded about marriage and family has done one thing I’ve never done, and that’s cheat on, or lie to their supposed “best friend” or life partner. I love my life and don’t apologize for it. I have nieces and nephews who fill the children need and love talking with them almost every day and spoiling them when I’m with them. My dad once said to me “there’s more to life than being happy and doing what you want “, to which I replied, “that is the stupidest thing I ever heard”. My life is great for me, but is definitely not for everyone. To each his own. No one life fits all, although I imagine Tom Brady’s life is pretty good for a married guy.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    623 I’m not sure how you make the jump from my description to a murderer? Your conclusion is a huge jump.

• skibum609
    4 years ago
    Tom Brady is a cuck. Lets see in the last 13 months been to Montana, florida 3 times and colorado 3 times. I golfed friday. I strip clubbed after golf. I played poker from 7 Sat night to 5 in the morning sunday. Gambled on horses and went strip clubbing and had sex with my wife before dinner. All guilt free and her $1400 stimulus check and mine hit the bank yesterday. Have nieces nephews and a step-daughter and live a better life than when single. Wife skis, golfs, hikes, works and swings. Only seen girl on girl sex live 5 or 6 hundred times for free. Yeah married life blows lol.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    "A man is wealthy to the extent of what he can do without." (unknown author). Might as well wade into what is basically a philosophy of life thread. I'll add not to take this statement too literally, otherwise unabomber would be king. However, many people have been slaves to keeping up with the Joneses, buying the priciest gadgets, and being in debt. Time is another valuable resource besides money. I've known several individuals making high $$, yet seems to have no time for vacations or hobbies. So something between unabomber lifestyle, and maxing out credit card seems like a good balance.

One thing we can't do without is some humor. So, I'll leave you with this pun of the day: Wax Phil O. Sophical before he waxes you.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    4 years ago
    We're social animals. Our bonds with others give life meaning.

Just doing whatever for just yourself is very empty.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    No gay bathhouses for me. I vaguely recall seeing that saying in a National Lampoon mag many years ago.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion