tuscl

NFL - one week away

pistola
Keepin' it šŸ’Æ
Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:02 PM
Holy moly, in my abstention from sports I just noticed the first game is in a week. That snuck up. Whoā€™s gonna watch? Iā€™m mildly curious, hopefully the league will not be all in the face with the BLM shit.

72 comments

• ime
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I expect a season with sloppy play, lots of injuries, lots of guys going on IR if team has any whiff of Covid real or false positive. Goodell is a clown and will do some stupid shit related to BLM season will be a shit show with lowest ratings ever.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    You guys go ahead and boycott, me ima enjoy me some football I refuse to spend every waking moment worrying about politics thereā€™s more to life at least in my life
  • TheeOSU
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Yeah as a long time diehard NFL fan I'm on the verge of losing interest as Goodell grovels to the anarchists whiners.
  • TheeOSU
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    And I'll add as the team owners and coaches let the inmates run the asylum.
  • mark94
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Iā€™ll watch, but my enthusiasm level is way down. If the Social Justice crap is too in-your-face, Iā€™ll turn the games off early.
  • pistola
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Iā€™m going to give it a chance, there are some players who have said theyā€™re standing for the anthem. Could be a shitshow with Covid, but I could go for a Sunday with a NY Pizza and the games on. Hopefully the players are learning from the backlash and will tone the politics down.
  • gammanu95
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I barely cared about professional sports before crybaby Colin crapped his pants, and I have no fucks left to give now that the entire league has refused to allow free will and independant thought. Don't you dare enjoy your first amendment freedom of speech, or they'll do you like they did Brees, Favre, and Urlacher.
  • datinman
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I am curious to see how the Brady / Belichick divorce plays out. Tampa Bay certainly seems to be all in to make a run this year.
  • Papi_Chulo
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I'll pass for now - 2020 season is looking like a BLM shitshow: "NFL Will Call To ā€˜End Racismā€™ In Giant End Zone Messages" "... The NFL will add social justice phrases to end zones in the 2020 season, mirroring activism engaged in by the NBA and other pro sports leagues. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the new initiative in a Tuesday conference call, saying that the league would paint the phrases ā€œend racismā€ and ā€œit takes all of usā€ in the end zones for each game, according to ProFootballTalk ..." "... ā€œThe NFL stands with the black community, the players, clubs and fans confronting systemic racism. We will not relent in our work,ā€ Goodell said ..." [view link]
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    arggghhh! I hate seeing what you just posted Papi. Giving up any sport other than football is easy for me. I am not ashamed to admit that I have been seriously missing watching preseason games this year. I'm going to be watching. I just hope that the announcers don't make things too obnoxious.
  • Warrior15
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I miss the game. So I will at least start out the season watching. If it gets too much of a BLM show, then may lose interest.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Another thing that worries me is COVID-19. Test positive on a Saturday or Sunday, and you are missing the game. For true positives, you are out for a minimum of 3 weeks. And given the nature of the disease, true positives are likely to strike position groups. Imagine finding out at the last minute that you have to play minus your starting offensive line....
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    This in a nutshell is the problem we all have friends that we donā€™t agree with, politically, some of you fellas seem to be decided, that if yā€™all disagree about one thing, thereā€™s nothing else that matters Iā€™ll never understand that kind of thinking
  • GoVikings
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Canā€™t wait for football šŸ˜Š
  • misterorange
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I ghosted my barber of 15 years because he posted BLM and Kaepernick junk on his facebook page. Local butcher store I've shopped at for many years - BLM sign in the window - done with that. A (semi-close) friend I've known for 20 years posted anti-Trump stuff on social media, not my friend anymore. Life long, die hard Yankees fan - watched that opening day fiasco with the ceremonies and BLM logo on the pitcher's mound... turned it off after the first inning and haven't watched a single game since. I'm not trying to make a political statement, I just would feel like a total jerk if I pretended to support shit that I don't agree with, in the interest of political correctness. I miss all of it, hilarious jokes by my barber, the great service and fresh meat at the butcher shop, hanging out with my ex-friend... Most of all I miss watching baseball and going to Yankee Stadium 4 or 5 times a season. But there is no way in hell I'm going to pretend to be someone I'm not just to impress other people who are all assholes. So no, I won't be watching NFL or any other pro sport that (even one time) features some SJW bullshit.
  • GoVikings
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Man, I never knew so many people on here would boycott sports over social justice issues. I donā€™t have a problem with it, you guys can do what you want, Iā€™m just surprised people feel THAT strongly about it
  • Papi_Chulo
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    AFAIK they will also play the "black national anthem" in week 1 - would be interesting to see everyone stand for that then many kneel for the National Anthem - and I can see a push for the "black national anthem" to be extended for the rest of the season. I might watch the start of the game to see the spectacle and likely shut if off at some point early-on after it becomes a BLM festival everytime someone scores.
  • TheeOSU
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    "they will also play the "black national anthem" in week 1 " WTF? Followed by the red, brown, yellow, white, and mixed national anthems? No? Aren't we going to be inclusive anymore?
  • Lone_Wolf
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Used to be a fanatic. I will not be watching that SJW woke BS.
  • Cristobal
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I love the NFL and nothing they put on their jerseys, logos they paint on the field, whether the sit, stand, kneel, or sommersault during the National Anthem, or what songs they choose to sing before the game will ever make me stop watching the NFL. Those logos, songs, etc do not affect my view on the issue, anymore than the steady feeding of corporate logos and comercials affect what I buy or do not buy.
  • JamesSD
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    The players are going to be in terrible shape (relatively) and there are going to be tons of injuries
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @misterorange Just a question, did your barber give you a good haircut for 15 years, did your butcher give you good service, despite the fact your political views were opposed to his, If so you are being a jackass. You aren't going to support his causes, and he's not gonna start being for Trump, all you are doing is depriving yourself of a haircut and some hamburger. that's my point. They obviously don't care that your politics are against their interest, you have been getting good service for fifteen years, and don;t think that after all that time they don't know where you stand on the issue, it's obvious you are the one with the problem.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    ^ I don't even want to comment on what kind of a friend you are, you don't like someones politics you stop being friends SMH
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Not being friends with a liberal is perfectly reasonable. Liberals have a bad habit of telling you how to live your life. Just look at TwentyFiveā€™s posts as an example.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    ^ Wow I'm telling you how to live your life I must be some influential guy. you are still a twat
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Not influential, just irritating.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I know you are an irritated twat but thanks for confirming it to the rest of the board
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Iā€™ll add ā€œtwatā€ to the list of words that you donā€™t understand the meaning of.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    ^ Twat
  • rickdugan
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    As sick and tired as I am of all this out of control BLM stuff, at the end of the day it's still football once the ball is snapped. I will probably use my DVR to fast forward over all the crap and just watch the players play.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @RickDugan - Have you tried NFL Game Pass. They have a condensed game mode that cuts out all the time between plays. You can watch a complete game in about 40 minutes. The only downside is that games arenā€™t made available until after the last game on Sunday is completed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I have a right to my opinions/feelings/politics, and I extend that feeling/right to those that I don't agree with - extremely unlike I'd end a friendship or business-relationship b/c of different political/societal viewpoints; IMO it's counterproductive to do so - now if we are constantly arguing over it, then I'd step away but most adults know how to handle differences of opinions. BLM for me is different - as far as I'm concerned they are anti-American and hell-bent on destroying America and the American way of life - BLM is antithetical to democracy and I'm against anything that seeks to destroy democracy and the free-market which avowed Marxists most-definitely are. If the goal is to have *equality*, then picking teams/races is def not the way to go about it - sure, there may be some short term gains, but it's counterproductive in the long-run - if we are gonna have "equality", then the term "black lives matter" should be as unacceptable as "white lives matter"; there shouldn't be exceptions for one team - but it's even worse than that, there is now unapologetic reverse-racism if not racial-preferencing in that saying "all lives matter" or "cop lives matter" is treated as a racist statement - there have been countless examples in the last few months of racial-preferencing such as companies offering special offers for black people/businesses, etc, which on the surface seems illegal to me to give preferential treatment to one specific race and thus why the "current-normal" is starting to look like either reverse-racism or racial-preferencing - if a "white national anthem" is not right, then a black one is not right either.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    That was my point Papi
  • minnow
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I'll probably watch some game highlights, but not the game. Nobody has mentioned it yet, but is anyone going to be in the stadiums ? Empty, capacity/social distance constraints, phase in to more capacity? Advertisers are going to be broadcasting to a lot of empty screens if games get too blm/woke.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Fan attendance will vary by team and point in the season. In the beginning there are going to be a lot of empty stadiums.
  • mark94
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Last season, condensed versions of the NFL games were available on YouTube within an hour of games end. Probably illegal.
  • TFP
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I'll be watching. I'd watch even if they painted 'white lives matter' in the endzones. Or 'gay lives matter'. Or......hell anything, I don't give a damn about all this political shit. Just entertain me, same way as the NBA thankfully has post COVID for the last month or so.
  • WavvyCain
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    NFL is trash I havenā€™t watched since Kaep couldnā€™t get a job years ago. League is boring and will stop once Covid breaks out across the league. Nba bubble> #blacklivesmatter āœŠšŸæāœŠšŸ¾
  • rattdog
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    if there's a black national anthem that should be played it ought to be this: [view link] as for the nfl games, just tune into the nfl red zone right around 1:15-1:20 PM and games by then should already have started.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Rat dog - I love your choice for a black national anthem.
  • WILLYSGOTAHUCOW
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Unfortunately due to social media we can't live in a world of ignorance. We are 5-10 years away from hive mind. Think about it, an idiot kneeling on a guys neck and a chinaman eating bat soup changed billions of lives. We will slowly migrate to an era where radical thoughts are expunged. Laugh now, but try to go a month without using your phone. The mark of the beast is here my friends.
  • pistola
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @Breh the reason Kap couldnā€™t get a job is (a) the league started to figure him out and (b) nfl teams donā€™t want the media circus (see Tim Tebow). NBA is trash compared to the Jordan era with a bunch of 7 footers thinking their point guards @Ratt - I could get down with that. @Willys - you have a good point there lol
  • pistola
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    *theyre (coffee hasnā€™t kicked in yet)
  • skibum609
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    The NFL exists for fantasy football. First draft is Saturday night; 12 team 1 point ppr with a $1,500.00 buy in. Football for me is watching states on the phone on espn fantasy. To be fair I do want to see what Cam Newton looks like in a Patriots uniform. Colin Kapernick had a job. Well-paid one too. Like a little pussy he quit and walked away; then became the "blackest" guy on earth (hey when you are mixed race and raised by white liberals in luxury you end up fucked up) and is now a whiny bitch. He was never great; good for a couple of years; mediocre for 2 more and then as he aged he lost what little accuracy he had and was worth nothing as a player. Sad because in his first 2 years he won fantasy football for me off the waiver wire. The NBA is an after thought. Wasn't even aware the celtics played last night until 5 minutes ago.
  • pistola
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    ^Yes, the Cam thing will be interesting, Belicheck is probably highly motivated. So will Brady on Tampa. Vegas Raiders. Iā€™m NYG fan so excited to see if theyā€™ve finally found a real HC. New HC in Dallas. Lots of very good young QBs. NFL is a good soap opera. Hereā€™s to hoping they can stay mild with the political messaging and let us enjoy the game and escape from all the BS 2020 has brought.
  • skibum609
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Joe Judge is a Belichik clone. The players will dislike him and play hard for him and they will be in better condition than you have ever seen.
  • Tetradon
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I like NFL football, and will put it in the background if I'm doing something else (or when I'm tired of the dancer on stage), but life is too short to spend several hours a week in front of the boob tube. Basketball was always too boring and repetitive for me, BLM or not. I could care less about the end zone slogans or fake names on jerseys. Neither Roger Goodell nor LeBron James informs my politics or morality.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Apparently a lot of people have forgotten that Kapernick had a tryout with the Ravens after he left the 49ers. The tryout went well and the Ravens were in negotiations to sign him. Then his girlfriend called the owner of the Ravens a slave owner public ally. [view link] Who knew that calling your potential employer a slave owner during negotiations was a bad idea?
  • yahtzee74
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Not watching. The NFL is so insane right now that the Saints actually honored that rapist Jacob Blake by putting his name on their helmets during practice. No one should support that.
  • yahtzee74
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    If you need to watch some football there are tons of old games on youtube. Including pretty complete (no huddles) NFL championship games from the 30s through the merger. A lot of good games there and it's fascinating to watch the development of the game. Lots of old college bowl games too.
  • rickdugan
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    ===> "@RickDugan - Have you tried NFL Game Pass. They have a condensed game mode that cuts out all the time between plays. You can watch a complete game in about 40 minutes." I tried it about 5 years ago. I agree that it is pretty neat, but the problem is having to wait until Monday morning to watch it. I also had to avoid all the sports channels all day Sunday so that I didn't accidentally learn the score before I watched it.
  • twentyfive
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I usually watch Red Zone unless the Giants are playing on a nationally televised game, the Red Zone doesn't seem to comment about anything except the games that I've noticed.
  • Studme53
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I use to love the NFL but this year I plan to be on the beach and not watching. My fantasy league is also skipping this season.
  • Studme53
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    A lot of people watch sports to escape politics. I donā€™t talk politics and I donā€™t like it when people ā€œenlightenā€ me with theirs. I know the truth vs the bullshit. And Iā€™m like 25 and a lot of other people - I vote with my feet and walk away. No discussion. Never complain, never explain. Itā€™s my time and money.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @Skibum - I never have played Fantasy Football. Do you find it odd the way that it warps who you would normally root for? Also, why I am not surprised to find out that TwentyFive is a Giants fan?
  • Studme53
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Plus the NFL isnā€™t diverse enough to ā€œlook like Americaā€. Sorry - thatā€™s kind of political.
  • shadowcat
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    My father took me to see the L.A. Rams play back in the 50's. I haven't been to any games since. Why should I pay to watch people work?
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @ShadowCat - strippers work at strip clubs....
  • shadowcat
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    True but they are providing a service for me.
  • mark94
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    The NFL playerā€™s are young, rich, black, and claim to be on the side of Social Justice. The NFL owners are old, rich, white, and arrogant. Its fans are older, middle class, white, and think Social Justice is BS. The smart way to handle this would have been to stay neutral as a league and allow players to exercise free speech outside of work. Instead, they felt the need to virtue signal starting many years ago with Breast Cancer awareness. BLM is just the most recent virtue signaling. This translates as ā€œ Weā€™re better than our fansā€œ. Not the brightest marketing message. Maybe Coke could start a new sales campaign. ā€œ Our employees are better human beings than our Neanderthal customers but we expect them to buy our beverage. ā€œ
  • skibum609
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    I bet on the nfl. Today I bet the Kentucky derby, next weekend bet on human beings that make horses seem smart, i.e. nfl.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @Skibum - do you only do fantasy football? Or do you bet individual games?
  • skibum609
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    While I do bet individual games, its probably 10% of what I used to. With a multitude of fantasy teams, a pick every game every week pool with 300 members and a "drop dead" pool for serious money (last year 2 teams won it and split 98,444.000) I don't have the time to really pay attention to spreads.
  • NJBalla
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Dont get caught up in the extremes of Fox News and MSNBC. The protests dont bother me one bit. Most people want each other to succeed. We actually need to do a better job of this as the world is only getting smaller and the time we can hide behind screennames will slowly go away.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Sports betting isnā€™t legal in Arizona, but Las Vegas is only 310 miles away. I have good databases built with play by play data for the NFL and college dating back to 2009. So I tend to look for mis priced lines (spreads as well as totals) to take advantage of.
  • Cristobal
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    "Its fans are older, middle class, white, and think Social Justice is BS." With almost one million fans attending games each weekend and more than an average of 14 million people watching each game, the fan demographics include more than "older, middle class, white..." And in a few more days, we will watch the Kansas City Chiefs defend their Super Bowl title against the Houston Texans.
  • Papi_Chulo
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    The social justice diarrhea continues: "Virtual Revival: Madden NFL 21 Will Put Colin Kaepernick ā€˜At The Helm Of Any NFL Team In Franchise Modeā€™" "... Shortly after a report indicated no NFL teams had expressed real interest in signing former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for the 2020-2021 season, video game powerhouse company EASports announced that Madden NFL 21 will allow players to put Kaepernick ā€œat the helmā€ of any team in the gameā€™s franchise mode ..." "... Former NFL star Burgess Owens, a current congressional candidate in Utah, has said the elevation of Kaepernick to this newfound hero status is ā€œAffirmative Action for a Marxist.ā€ ..." [view link]
  • TheeOSU
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    And let it be known that Burgess Owens is a black man but since he's a Republican and doesn't follow the leftist agenda he 's just an Oreo Uncle Tom.
  • Papi_Chulo
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Someone on TV referred to Ryan Tannerhill's "anti racism" video as looking like a hostage video - it appears to me he was saying "what he was supposed to say" - he didn't look too comfortable and IMO not that genuine; which is the current status-quo of "you better go along or else" - I know a bit of Tannerhill from the time he spent down here in Miami as the starting QB for about 7-years; he always came across as a humble guy and was never outspoken and came across as a fairly shy-person; I think under the current circumstances he likely had little choice but to do the video - Ryan starts speaking at the 1:50 mark: [view link]
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - and don't forget a racist. I've heard that if you don't support domestic terrorist groups that you are a racist.
  • pistola
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    Re: Mr Owens - in addition to an Uncle Tom and a racist, he is also a ā€˜coon.ā€™ I swear Iā€™ve heard the word coon thrown around more times in the past two months than all of my entire life (excepting those South Park videos, yā€™all SP fans know what Iā€™m talking about.) Re: EA and Kap - thatā€™s utterly ridiculous. I wonder what his player rating is, should be around 75.
  • winex
    ā€¢
    4 years ago
    @Pistola - I have never played Madden football - and I am definitely not going to change that, but supposedly Kayā€™s rating is in the top half of starting QBs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion