Off topic: GPS

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I bought a GPS for my truck today. It is a Garmin StreetPilot c330. My son spent over $2000.00 on his(in dash). I only paid $300 for a portable. User guide is very fague. It came with USB drivers and USB cable for my computer. What are these for?

4 comments

• Book Guy
    17 years ago
    To plug it into your computer. :P

No, seriously, if you're good at computers, here's what you should do: go to the company's website and see if there are any links to user guides, further info, or software you can download. Read around. My hunch is, that your portable GPS device is designed to be used in or out of a truck, and therefore can be run in a variety of settings, including in your truck, or next to your computer. A USB device (forgive me if I'm belaboring something obvious) is a plug-in-and-it-will-work gadget that you can simply plug into any USB socket on your home computer. Many keyboards, mice (mouses?), digital cameras, and printers operate through the USB socket.

Perhaps your USB GPS device will allow you to do something with an online mapping service like Google Maps? Or maybe there are spreadsheets that will let you input your location and check out distances traveled? Or maybe if you have seven friends who have similar devices all hooked up to a network, you can play capture the flag or similar military games, or use them for coordinates in field surveys for archaeology or biological sampling in the wilderness? I dunno ... sounds fun ...
  • founder
    17 years ago
    With a gps and a program like easygps from easygps.com (free), you can go to your Hot List here at tuscl, and download all the clubs to your gps.

Let's say you're heading to Tampa. Put all the Tampa clubs on your hotlist, then download it to your GPS. Save time finding the strip clubs. More time getting laps.

Who's your buddy? That's right, tuscl is your buddy...
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Wow. Gotta get me one o' dem. :)

Can I do anything similar with my cell phone? My service has a "data package" but I can't manage to make the screen read TUSCL very well at all even though it is rather pretty and pixellated will do weather.com and cingular.com.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    tuscl is not designed to work on hand held devices (yet). Give us some time to get relisted all over google and for that crap to settle down, and I will take a look at how to format the pages to work there. This of course will be a VIP member feature only, as it will be very costly to develop.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion