tuscl

How "female" is your profession?

skibum609
Massachusetts
I am a divorce lawyer. While the legal profession is majority male, the divorce bar from Judges all the way down to session clerks is overwhelmingly female. 2/3 of judges; 2/3 of reigistrars; 65% of probation officers; 2/3 of session clerks and 75% of all practiitioners, but over 90% of practiotioners under 35. Howz bout you? Do any of you deal with women continuously as a minority? How about a right wing; republican; misogynist; dealing with progressive women in the people's republic 24/7 and living to tell about it?

58 comments

• Its not just that the legal profession= majority male. I think its important to note that THERE ARE NOT THAT MANY MORE MALE LAWYERS compared to female ones , not because i want to "one up men"(thats lame), buy rather bc i think its great when any profession has almost equal.amounts of both genders

1) https://www.bestlawyers.com/article/wome…

2) another webstite reported that among lawyers, 44% were female.not too far frok 50.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Interesting discussion. I have never worked in any situation which is not overwhelmingly male. I don't think I would like to work in any kind of other realm either.

SJG
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    @SkiBirther

The women that you work with probably think of you as a cranky, harmless, relic from a bygone era -- much as we do.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    For myself, my work situations have always been markedly different from female dominated realms.

I have known women who work in such realms and we have discussed them much. Very different from what I am used to.

Place I worked, women interviewees had run off after the basic tour.

More in common with a war zone, than with a female dominated work environment.

SJG
  • Btw..@ ski..how are.ppl not supposed to label you as a misogynist or sexist when i vividly recall u sayong on here that women are the weaker sex??

SMH .....
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ I agree with Nicole1994

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    In my perception in female dominated work environments, the politics are more covert, and I would not like that. Most of what I do actually has a good deal of breaking away from the rule of women built right into it.

SJG
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    I deal with females way too much. My employees are all female. The vendors I use are all female. It seems a very high % of my customers are female. If I sell and start something else, I will select a different industry.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    The shit truck driving professuon is mainly retired attorneys
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    My field (physics) is up to about 15% of the PhD population. Up from about 1% female when I left school.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    I da pappy and dats why I sent Nicole to law school
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Being as polite as possible here, in my view, female stuff is more about keeping up appearances, about submitting to conformity.

I rejected that back when I was in elementary school.

I say, this is the typical female stuff. But there are exceptions, women who really push through radical stuff. This later I do support, but it is rare.

Good Book, updated:

https://www.amazon.com/Stiffed-20th-Anni…

SJG

• skibum609
    5 years ago
    Is it your theory Nicole that the strongest women are as strong as the strongest men? Most women are physically weaker than most men.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    ^^^ I da pappy! Don't be talking to my poochie that way 😡 She works out and has big biceps
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Army (Not for long though) 15% up %1 from 10 years ago. Active side.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    Security. There are women, but far fewer than men, at least in my field, which is a bit above “mall cop” level. lol
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ?? Not for long, you mean dropping back down? Why?

In my own view, most women do things which amount to doing what they are told. I am not like such women, and so I would never work in their environments.

There are however a few women who are very different. But they are rare.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    One example of a very strong and free thinking woman is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I hold her in the highest esteem.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ I think so, used to be more women programmers, cause back then there was much less money in it.

SJG
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Na I meant me
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I see Muddy.

Yes, some women see the Army as a good job, for getting started and all.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    One of the things I first noticed was the lack of college educated women in the work place. Women were there, but in non-college positions.

So where were they? People said that they were in the "helping professions".

Maybe some, but I think there is still something else going on.

Were they housewives? I don't know, but very few from research oriented four year universities.

SJG
  • loper
    5 years ago
    Both of my current "professions" are popular with gay males. I wonder what that says about me? My first profession out of college, electrical engineer, was overwhelmingly male, but I worked with a number of female software engineers.
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    As a lion I mostly make the female lions hunt. Occasionally I really want to go wildebeest on something, but if it is just getting the dinner it is so much more fun to let the females do the work while I like back and think deep rick thoughts.

On the other hand, as a rick we are 100% male because the council excludes females. We did try to include a ladyboy tiger once but it turned out the barnacle was just joking. The barnacle may be the wisest rick of all but he also has a wicked sense of humor!

ROAR!!!
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    When I started in 1967 my boss, an assistant VP of the company had a policy of not hiring any females and that stuck even after he retired and a new VP took over.

In 1988 the company merged with a larger one and at the time there were no females working in my department. Some time in the mid 90's the company's hiring and advancement policy changed to one of diversity. No longer were new employees hired on the basis of education and knowledge but rather on their sex or color. To do this they had to really lower their standards but public relations was the name of the game.

When I retired in 2009 there were still less than 5% females working in my department. I think mostly because most women were not interested even though the job paid extremely well. 2 of them even made it into the manager ranks, a position that I had held for the last 15 years.

I wish I could say that the company benefited from the policy change but I can't. It's not that I don't think women can do the job. It's just that there were more qualified males out there that got by passed. I'm happy to be retired.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    My physician of 31 years is female. VH has been a cunt for longer. RBG holds Brett Kavanaugh in the highest esteem.
  • Cashman1234
    5 years ago
    In my profession - banking - there is a relative mix of genders. Its no longer male dominated. I think its close to even with a 50/50 mix.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I am seeing more females in construction trades but overall not a lot of women applicants for jobs, with the labor shortages I’m sure plenty would be hired if they would apply
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    Interesting comments, skibum, and Cashman. Retiree here, but my experiences have been the exact opposite of you two.

When I was called for jury duty several months ago (I was in a group of 40 or so that was interviewed for the case, but was not seated- BHFH ! ), the district judges were overwhelmingly male. I briefly perused website, there were maybe 1 or 2 female judges out of 15 or so. As for the attorneys- 3 of 4 were female ( 2 female prosecutors, lead defense attorney was female. Male bailiff and female recorder. I vaguely recall reading where % of female law students has increased the last few years.

When I've gone to my credit union, and bank, the account reps (those with offices) have been virtually all female. The few designated financial advisors have been exclusively male. On the teller side, still mostly female, though I've seen more males creeping in the last few years. Maybe Cashman works in corporate HQ .

On the mutual fund side, I'd say telephone reps have been ~ 75% male. F2F meetings with advisors since being retired in 3 different office locations- 4 male , 1 female.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    To pistola/txtittyfag’s dismay, my profession is majority female.

Anyways, when I worked “straight jobs”...all related to customer service in some form, I didn’t know which gender was more annoying to deal with.

Both females and males were passive aggressive, though the females were worse about it by far. With males, it was more about playing dumb to flirty behavior.

Strippers have a (admittedly deserved) poor rep for being low EQ—but they are by far the easiest to work with in most of the clubs I work in. Mostly because I don’t have to have any form of pretense of being a “team player”—and that’s what makes dancing so great 😁
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Therefore @SJG, it’s tough to say at least from a female POV that politics goes away just because an environment is male dominated. Men have egos and they expect them massaged.

That being said, it seems a lot of professions are facing a rise in telecommuting—and only having to come in “in person” for when the random meeting calls for it. I suspect that’s best for not only dealing with gender issues, but also other things as well. Though admittedly, I can’t say that with complete confidence.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    Whenever I go to a strip club, the dancers are all female. It seems discriminatory.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    Being a drug dealer ... or more accurately, a drug dealing consultant for the old farts... I would say that my profession is a 50/50 mix. I enjoy it because I very rarely, if ever, have to put up with employee bullshit. I just get paid to give my opinion. What they do with my opinion is totally up to them, but they still pay me to give it.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    ^^ or maybe a pharmacist.

It's possible that men are better than women (on average) with hard-core analytical skills. Explains why the only STEM field that has a lot of women is biology. It's always hard to sort out what's genetic v cultural.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I don't know, @Dougster. You should bring the topic up with your psychiatrist.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Shadowcat, when Ruth Bader Ginsburg speaks before audiences, she is still bragging about the pasting she gave your industry over its gender discriminatory policies.

25 hard to believe that there are such labor shortages. Here most of the building trades unions have people on waiting lists. Anytime someone offers decent jobs, there are people lined up around blocks for days in advance.

minnow, here we have lots of women in the banking and finance sector. We have lots of women attorneys of all types, and lots of women judges.

nicespice wrote, "Strippers have a (admittedly deserved) poor rep for being low EQ"

On the whole I have found strippers to be way above average in "EQ".

nicespice wrote, "Therefore @SJG, it’s tough to say at least from a female POV that politics goes away just because an environment is male dominated. Men have egos and they expect them massaged. "

No, I would say that the politics and the rules of the politics are different when an environment is female dominated vs male dominated. I have only personally worked in the latter. I am sure that I would not want to work in the former. What I see of the female dominated environments is that to a much greater degree, people are expected to go with the flow. And this does not apply to strip clubs or sex work.

As far as massaging male egos, well there are some kinds of work environments where that is what the females are for. I would call that a Complementary Environment, rather than a Symmetrical Environment. Never worked in a Complementary Environment, as that has women more for Comfort and Companionship. That is what strip clubs and AMPs are for.

As far as telecommuting, I also see it as good, but the technology was there for it long ago. Very slow in coming. There will still be politics. Some start up companies are intense. You have to be there to deal with the politics. True, but not good.

I agree with what VH_Kicks has posted. Probably once out of office Trump will seek political asylum in Russia, where he can suck Putin's dick.

Heaving, it is called "Essential Business Concept". But it is actually the age discrimination which gets them into more trouble than the gender discrimination.

Hooters has been in court a lot. If they said they were "Adult Entertainment", then they would have no problem, just zoning problems. But because they say they are "Family Restaurant", they have problems.

VH_Kicks, well in world war 2 we had lots of women in aircraft factories. Tools were improved because of this. And pre-Internet, we used to have more women programmers, because there was less money in it. Now that there is more money, men have chased them out.

I agree though that women are less inclined to take on extremely demanding detail oriented work. But I think this is more socialization. Also a cultural taboo about getting dirty, and then problems caused by long hair.

But you do in some fields see women mastering some of the most complex things.

Long discussion when I was married, wife said about how women cannot do this, cannot do that. Not strong enough, don't know how to do it.

I gave example about how as a small boy I learned how to do all sorts of things, though I had less strength and weight than an adult woman. I showed her how tools work, like socket wrenches. I explained about a body builder who cannot work on automobile engines because his arms are too thick. He can only do break work.

Over all I told her, women don't know how because they have never tried to learn. And its is not that they can't, it is really more that they don't think they should.

I believe that women think they would lose more than they would gain, if they tried.

Women are socialized differently, for better or worse, just the way it is. Some things have changed, but others no.

RandomMember, we have some women in STEM, besides biology. We have women airline pilots, women army generals, and women airforce generals. Teresa of Calcutta was a geography teacher, but often it is said that women are not good a reading maps.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Looking back to our OP, I would say that "female" professions tend to be more customer service oriented, and also more dealing with matters of appearance. Just the way it continues to be. Could change. Would not want to work in such myself.

SJG
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    VH if that is what you call winning no wonder you come across as a fucked up loser. So typical of progressives. You support gay people, but when you want to insult someone and you want to use (in your "mind") the most vicious insult you can think of: you call someone gay slurs. Without hypocrites there'd be 3 progressives on earth. By the way your view of women and who they are is beyond fucking retarded. Justice Ginsberg, a person who's views actually matters speaks more highly of Brett Kavanugh than anyone else. Someone who roots for a sports team with a rapist as the face of their franchise whould be; well, should be you, because I simply couldn't think of anything worse.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    SJG is VH a slightly younger and slightly less intelligent version of you? You trying to be Doug?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    skibum, always keeping the nursing home staff busy, putting him on the toilet, inserting the feeding tube, and pouring in the prune juice from concentrate.

The only looser here skibum, is you.

SJG
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    I work with 5 women and me on our accounting team.
    But I do payroll, so they are nice to me 😉😋
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    For some of us I believe that there is more of a gender rebellion, or a rebellion against women, against maternal dominance, in the sorts of things we have decided to do.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ""boys' club" mentality at many startups"

That was basically what I was posting about previously. Very true, all that you say.

But there were good female programmers up through the 80's. Since then, with the Internet, computer programming has gotten more cachet, and money. Men have largely taken over.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Note, you don't see many second generation STEM people. Second generation goes into law or finance.

STEM does not have that much cachet. Hard work, often little money, nerd stereotype.

Programming gained status cause of the Internet and more money. But this does seem to have meant that women got squeezed out.

Usually men will be willing to work longer hours and go along with these boys club startups.

Yes, these big companies can do good here.

But many men who work in programming do not want to work for or with women. They are seen as soft programmers, people who do the light stuff. Don't want to be associated with them. Some men won't even talk to them in interviews.

As far as Physicians, yes women have done real well there, and this does go back many generations, not just a couple of decades.

SJG
  • VH hicks said:

This may come as a shock to most of you --- but the MAJORITY of medical students in the U.S. are now female:

THE MAJORITY OF MEDICAL AND LAW STUDENTS (I POSTED THE LINK ABOVE) ARE NOW FEMALE.

#JURISDOCTORED #MD #FEMALE
  • VH HICKS

Marry me plz

K.
  • I meant kicks not hicks!!
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    The best thing about a world filled with female doctors and lawyers is that it makes dying seem palatable.
  • "The best thing about a world filled with female doctors and lawyers is that it makes dying seem palatable."

Why is that ?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Women have done very well as doctors, as lawyers, and as judges.

SJG

Hey, if I were Governor of California, I would not mind taking her to Africa:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBg5cnoN…
  • DenimChicken
    5 years ago
    Very low percentages in my niche field. There are often allegations of men keeping high tech companies as a boy's club - but the reality people don't want to hear is........VERY FEW women ever apply. And then - like men - often many completely lack the qualifications to be in a top tier company. This doesn't mean pedigree but being able to dig into very technical topics and show expertise while interviewing.

The numbers are in fact growing - which is great - different people bring different perspectives...but it will just take time.

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ that’s the problem with construction trades, very few females apply for the apprenticeship programs that are out there both formal and informal. I have no doubt that women can do the jobs just as well as men, great physical strength is no longer an issue as we have machinery that can compensate, more and more the trades require intelligence and skills that can be easily learned by anyone male or female, that has a desire to make it a career.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ Strong Points 25!

SJG
  • @ ski

It is not my theory that women are physically stronger than men, because your statement that "women are the weaker sex" was not a reference to physical differences between men and women, but was rather a statement in favor of the false, sexist idea that women are less competent than men emotionally and intellectually

This is.because on tuscl, you have also stated l that:

- you would never hire a woman over a man(even tho some women have/do work for

-all women do is bitch and complain.

^please take your sexism to the judge, along with ur defense for why you are biased towards hiring men compared to women.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Typically idiotic progressive post. Pretend you know what otjhers meant, then make aarogant and ignorant comments at the straw man. I do not hire progressive women and in massachusetts that is allwe have. I do not hire them because they are scheming, thin-skinned frauds and liars. Bitch and complain? Thanks for proving my point. Go ask a man called Daddy for money oh subservient progressive.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    SJG writes as if she is a woman, so for now on our SJG is a fluid individual maintaining many characteristic of the female type.

VH Kicks is still Butt sore from Hillary losing the state of Pennsylvania to Trump. You should do more gerrymandering in Philly, then maybe you can turn the tables, like your switch hitting sex life!

Rotflmao!!!
  • crazyjoe
    5 years ago
    There are generally not many females in my industry. There are a few which is good
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    In many industries women are the backbone of the work force.

This has been true of companies which I have worked for.

But from the perspective of my own work history, there is still a shortage of women with 4 year degrees from major research oriented universities.

But it is also well known that women have done very well in Law and Medicine, there you will find minds second to none.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion