tuscl

Hookahs

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
A few years ago hookahs were all over the clubs. Now they seem to be gone. What happened?

As a non-smoker I'm glad they're gone. I'm just curious.

15 comments

• datinman
    5 years ago
    Hopefully, it was just a short lived fad. Probably the increase in vaping killed it off.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    Club Onyx in East St Louis (Centreville) still does them. Matter of fact, I think the Hookah dude makes more money than the dancers.
  • pistola
    5 years ago
    Hookahs are dumb.
  • pistola
    5 years ago
    People that own hookahs are even dumber.
  • Musterd21
    5 years ago
    I don’t do hookahs but do like a fine cigar!
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    I tried to google if there was an uptick in regulations in the Detroit area. It seems like Dearborn at least has some policies meant to make it more tough for that business.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m…

Which would be typical, as a lot of cities will pass ordinances to make selling hookah type services a pain in the ass. Heck in Portland OR, one can’t legally start a hookah lounge business ever since 2011...and the only lounges left are those that got grandfathered in.

And many cities have increased the required age to allow hookah from 18 to 21.

Idk about other cities, but in San Antonio the age crackdowns caused less foot traffic to come into the hookah cafes. Especially since a lot of those places allowed BYOB and a lot of under 21ers enjoyed finding alcohol in some places...while the servers turned a blind eye.

In short...hookah can often face hostile city halls when trying to exist. Strip clubs can often face hostile city halls when trying to exist.

I can understand why, unless it’s an urban club, it’s not worth the hassle to mix the two.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Also agreed with @JustintoLook. A well assembled hookah (hookah gets cleaned regularly, good choice in coals that don’t give your shisha as gasoline aftertaste, good flavor options) in my biased opinion is superior to vaping.

...Unfortunately, many hookah lounges are crap. And vapes are not only a more flavorful smoke than most lounges, but also more convenient than hookahs. I’ve just simply been blessed (and my lungs cursed) that San Antonio has a good scene with people who make hookah well.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    "... in Portland OR, one can’t legally start a hookah lounge business ever since 2011 ..."

Why is that?
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I see them more at black clubs since many of them are kinda party clubs - in some of these black-clubs many of the dancers seem to prefer to hang out smoking hookah than circulate and give dances.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    @Papi, it was a compromise. The original bill wanted to shut hookah lounges down completely.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2011…

As for why are they motivated...because hookah lounges allegedly are hurting THE CHILDREN. Evil, nasty, sinful corruptions upon society.

Also, I got a detail mixed up. It’s not only Portland that passed this, but the entire state of Oregon.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ 👍
  • bullzeye
    5 years ago
    Still have them in the late night/after hours non-alcohol side of a club in Hartford
  • pistola
    5 years ago
    Hookahs are for prenterious tests. 🎯
  • sinclair
    5 years ago
    They still sell hookahs at Flight Club, but you don't see as many people buying them as you did 5 years ago. It was kind of like a fad.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Fad. Glad it's gone.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion