tuscl

OT: Billionaire and former presidential candidate Ross Perot dies at 89

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Billionaire businessman, philanthropist and independent presidential candidate Ross Perot is dead at 89, CNBC has confirmed.

Perot, who ran for president in 1992 and 1996, died after a five-month battle with leukemia, said James Fuller, a representative for the Perot family.

“In business and in life, Ross was a man of integrity and action. A true American patriot and a man of rare vision, principle and deep compassion, he touched the lives of countless people through his unwavering support of the military and veterans and through his charitable endeavors,” Fuller said in a statement.

Perot is survived by his wife, Margot, his five children and 16 grandchildren.

Perot was an early tech entrepreneur. He started his career in sales at IBM, where he excelled. In 1962, he founded his first company, Electronic Data Systems, with just $1,000 in savings. More than two decades later, he launched information technology services provider Perot Systems, which was acquired in 2009 by Dell for $3.9 billion.

As a disruptive third-party candidate for president, Perot ran on a platform of fiscal responsibility and protectionism. He won nearly 19% of the vote in the 1992 race — by far the biggest slice of the electorate for a third-party candidate since Theodore Roosevelt’s Bull Moose Party in the 1912 election.

Perot stood out from the political crowd for his quirks as much as his business credentials and lack of experience in establishment politics. “I don’t have any experience in running up a $4 trillion debt. I don’t have any experience in gridlock government, where nobody takes responsibility for anything and everybody blames everybody else,” he said in a 1992 presidential debate. The shifting of U.S. jobs to Mexico created a “giant sucking sound,” he famously said during the campaign.

Perot participated in all three presidential debates in that election, and took a nontraditional campaign route by booking lengthy time slots on network television to lay out his political views.
He was “certainly the most influential political force in the late 20th century from outside the regular party system,” said Allan Lichtman, distinguished professor of history at American University.

Lichtman told CNBC he had been tapped to write a biography of Perot, and Lichtman had agreed. But “quirky Ross Perot, just like he pulled out of the presidential race, he pulled out of the biography,” Lichtman said.

Perot was a veteran, and followed his service with a lifetime commitment to supporting U.S. veterans, especially during the Vietnam War. He was honored in 2009 by then-Veterans Affairs Secretary James Peake for his advocacy efforts.

Perot’s death led to an outpouring of warmth from figures in the political world.
Former President George W. Bush said in a statement to NBC News that “Texas and America have lost a strong patriot” in Perot.

“Ross Perot epitomized the entrepreneurial spirit and the American creed. He gave selflessly of his time and resources to help others in our community, across our country, and around the world. He loved the U.S. military and supported our service members and veterans. Most importantly, he loved his dear wife, children, and grandchildren. Laura and I send our heartfelt condolences to the entire Perot family as they celebrate a full life,” Bush said.

Former Vice President Al Gore said that he “always had the utmost respect for Ross Perot, for his patriotism, love of country, and extraordinary commitment to our veterans. I send my deepest condolences to his family and to everyone who loved and admired him.”

In his final interview with the Dallas News in 2016, Perot shrugged off a question about his legacy, saying “Aw, I don’t worry about that.”

His parting words in that interview, however, were well considered: “Texas born. Texas bred. When I die, I’ll be Texas dead. Ha!”

He died at his home in Dallas, in the company of his family.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/billiona…

27 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    I'll be honest... I had assumed that he was already dead.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    He was nuts and cost Bush Sr. the election he was responsible for Clinton winning the election
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    He was a feisty little guy
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ There was a movie made about his escapades getting a bunch of his employees out of Iran as the hostage crises unfolded, but they neglected to mention that he was warned months in advance, but due to his own greed and stubbornness he put them in needless danger, later in life after he sold his company to dell, he used a lot of that money to start PDS, which he eventually sold to GM, and became a gadfly shareholder which led to GM buying his shares at a greatly inflated price to get rid of his constant criticism.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ I take it you weren't a fan

😊
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Not particularly 🧐
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^He cost GM shareholders a bundle of money
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Maybe we should start a topic like " What will people say about you after you are dead? "
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ I don’t think you want to go there, that will bring flagooner back immediately 😂
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Perot was a good guy, and he really stuck it to George H. W. Bush in 1992!

But I still would not want Perot for President.

He did say one thing though in the first Clinton term. He was critiquing this idea of "creating jobs".

He said that to create one job for one year it was costing $90k.

She he said in jest, better to just cut that check up 6 ways and give it out and tell people to go have fun.

Perot was not really suggesting that. But decades back Senator from NY Daniel Patrick Moynihan had already figured it out, the cheapest way to solve economic problems is just to pass out money. Then it was to be needs tested welfare. Today it would be Universal Basic Income. This is just the fruits of advanced industrial and agricultural technology. So we should not fight this.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Ross Perot Dies 27 Years After His Infamous NAACP ‘You People’ Speech
    The billionaire's choice of words in 1992 all but gave birth to a reviled racial epithet for Black people.

https://newsone.com/3881919/ross-perot-d…
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Hey at least he didn't call them n*****s - give him *some* credit
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    In my case, I blame him for clinton ever being president. I voted for him and never considered that a vote for him was one away from Bush. Stupid me!
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Well supposedly Bernie Sanders costed the other Clinton the election. 🤷🏼‍♀️ So it all works out.

RIP Ross.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Berni Sanders, at the convention, he did everything he could to make sure people voted for Hillary Clinton, and he continued that up until the election.

SJG
  • whodey
    5 years ago
    At least he was a better independent candidate than any of the others that have been around. I was too young to vote for him but I at least thought he seemed like a viable candidate to take on the two party system which is something this country sorely needs.

A real centrist is what we need to bring this country back together instead of an extreme right wing candidate vs an extreme left wing candidate.

Show me someone that is fiscally conservative (taxes, entitlements, military spending, etc) and socially liberal (equal rights, environmental protection, expanded privacy rights, etc) and not only will they have my vote, but they'll get my donations and a campaign volunteer too.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ social issues are used to scapegoat and marginalize, in order to advance an economic agenda. The two are inseparable. This was Nixon's Southern Strategy, and it is still in full force with these anti-abortion laws in a number of states, and then with the scapegoating of immigrants.

The more money collected in progressive taxation and then spent, the larger our economy. More jobs, more profitable businesses.

SJG

Robin Trower Hannah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOOPXHiu…
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    nice,

Sanders was even on the ballot!
  • DandyDan
    5 years ago
    He was the first person I voted for in a Presidential election. I suspect if he had actually won, Donald Trump would still only be a New York real estate developer.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    There have been multiple experts over the years and a fivethirtyeight.com movie credibly disputing that Perot cost Bush the election. It definitely felt that Perot was the cause of Bush’s defeat at the time, but Bush was pretty weak during his re-election campaign.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    538 credibly lmao, nuff fucking said. Immigrants, both legal and illegal collect government benefits at twice the rate of native born, so the idea they are an economic benefit is simply a lie foisted upon us by the ignorant anti-american assholes called progressives. Its not scapegoating because they are to blame. Universal Basic Income results in civil war. I am not working my ass off to pay losers to sleep late. They can pick up a bruch, a can of comet and clean toilets for their money.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    You should’ve stopped where you promised at “nuff fucking said.”
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Using government benefits is not immoral or unethical. Not even harmful.

The reason for UBI is so that the poor are not made into scapegoats by geriatric senile suicidals like Skibum609. Even he would get UBI, like it or not.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    The real question is, why if this country has so much wealth, and it does... do people need to rely on welfare programs? There is something wrong when the private sector, the largest recipient of welfare funds, refuses to pull it's fair weight and ensure that the individuals it employs, don't need handouts to prevent them from living in abject poverty.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    UBI, not needs tested, so not the same as welfare, expands our economy. More will be able to have paying and livable employment, and more will be able to run their own businesses.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    I support UBI, there can't be sustainable development without a working class that has its needs met. You can't have a consumer based society without anyone being able to afford consumption...
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^ All very true!

We should have gone to UBI a long time ago.

Under Eisenhower we had 90% top tax bracket. Maybe to high. But JFK lowered it to 70% because unemployment started creeping up to 1%.

Now 90% was probably too high, but lowering it did not seem to help. And today the frictional unemployment rate seems to be 4%.

So unwittingly, JFK foreshadowed the insanity of Reagan.

Probably with advancing industrial technology, you can't use Keynesianism to get much lower than 4%.

But that is straight Keynesianism, taxation to create full employment.

As industrial technology advances then you need to also go to welfare.

LBJ had the right idea about this. But he just did not go far enough.

So to go further, need UBI. Stop giving tax and environmental protection breaks, and stop going along with anti-union firms.

Full employment is no longer desirable in any way.

So go to UBI, and of course that expenditure will automatically expand the economy and allow for more jobs and business opportunities.

SJG

Radiation Levels of Sunken Russian Nuclear Submarine 100,000 Times Higher Than Normal
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/radi…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion