tuscl

Old men having children

gawker
Older than dirt
Monday, June 10, 2019 8:28 AM
Zachary’s, the only strip club on Cape Cod recently closed when the owner sold the building in which it was located, for $2,000,000. It is extremely unlikely that it will reopen. The seller reported that he was 76 years old and had two children, aged 1 and 3, and wanted to spend more time with his family.
I’m 73 and have assumed that I’ve been shooting blanks for years. I know of some other men who have been married to younger women who have had babies, but I’ve never seen the results of paternity tests, which seems to be suspect. I wonder what the scientific community has to say about this? How about mongers?

19 comments

• jackslash
    5 years ago
    Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when they had their first child Isaac. I would not doubt the Bible.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    I am not real old, but at 56, I have a 6 yr old, 10 year old and 37 year old and my wife wants to have another, but she agrees that it would not be fair to the new child in that I may not be around to play with such.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    My friend who is 59 remarried a few years back to a woman 30 years his junior, and has two small children aged 3 and 14 months, it’s a lot easier now that he has the money to care for them, his children by his first wife are a few years younger than mine in their early twenties.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    @25. That is my feeling now. I actually have the TIME and the money to play with my youngest children. Not to mention, their 27 year old sister loves them as well. I think the younger children helped ease some of the pain that their older sister went through (still going through) after her twin passed away at age 23.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I would think it may make some kids feel embarrassed? While almost all his schoolmates' parents are mostly in their 20s and 30s, this kid has a much older parent - and kids being kids they will mention it and kids being kids they don't wanna stand out as being different.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ I doubt it’s really much of an issue even less nowadays with so many grandparents raising their grandchildren.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    I lived for many years in Southeast Asia. Many of my friends are or were my co-workers, older expatriate men who ended up with young Asian wives and babies even though they qualified for the senior breakfast slam at Denny’s with years to spare.

A lot worse things can happen to an aging guy than being pressured by a sexy young Asian woman to “make a baby.”
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    I never want to be in a situation where people assume that I'm my kids' grandfather. It isn't fair to the kids either, who will be lucky to make it to adulthood with a father in the house. I had 3 kids when I was between 35 and 40 and I'm already older than most of their friends' parents. Right now I look a lot younger than my age, but that only holds out for so long.

As far as having more time due to retirement, is it quality time? Can a senior citizen really keep up with a physically active young child? Can he be on his feet for hours coaching little league? Is he durable enough to teach get out there on the field for hours and teach his a boy how to play football or baseball? Will other parents feel comfortable around him and want their kids to have play dates/sleepovers at his house? How much respect will a teen boy who is testing his boundaries feel for an elderly Dad?

Idk. I think that having kids much beyond 40 is pushing it if you want to be robust enough to enjoy your time with them and to effectively parent them. But opinions will differ.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    It's possible for a guy in his 70s to shoot live rounds and make babies.

I think the better question is "Why would you want to?"
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Assuming it's not accidental.
  • AtAboy
    5 years ago
    I had mine between 25-35 years old. Definitely don’t have the same endless energy as I’m approaching 40 as I did mid 20s with my first. I mean I’m not a damn slug, but me 10 years ago could run circles for 18+ hours around today me who pays dearly the next day for staying at the SC till 2a. I used to be able to put in a full day work, and have the same level of energy at 10p (just starting my night out) as I did at 7am. No more.

To each his own, but I love that my kids are not up at night, they don’t wake up screaming at 6a from their crib anymore, and go to the bathroom in a toilet instead of diapers. For the life of me I can’t understand why someone would want to do that in the later decades in life on even less energy.

My plans for my golden years are to get back to the days when me and my other half are living for us, traveling etc. But then again we spent the past decade in the trenches of caring for babies so we’ve had our fill. Maybe if you spend most of your life not caring for kids, you don’t mind taking on that responsibility later in life.

Like I said, to each his own.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    OH hell no! I wouldn't want to miss going to the strip club because I have to attend a little league game.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I was thinking of the guys in their 70’s and 80’s who have children. My first thought is usually, “ I wonder if he knows her boyfriend?” I’m sure that there are some who are still potent, but I suspect more often than not that it’s a team effort.
    I know a professional woman ( lots of letters after her name) who had children at age 40 and 42. Her kids are now in grades 1 & 2 and she has mentioned the age disparity with her kids friends parents who are 15 to 20 years younger.
  • Michigan
    5 years ago
    Guys make new semen everyday, so their fertility does not change with age.

Women on the other hand have the same eggs in their ovaries from puberty to menopause. Those eggs have a limited shelf life.
  • AtAboy
    5 years ago
    Shadowcat, But games are during the day. I keep my clubbing for night time.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ^ I'm pretty sure that sperm count decreases with age.

Gawker, as far as Zachary's closing, that's a shame. I haven't been there in years, but I always enjoyed that club. It had a bit of a gritty vibe and some of the girls would put on quite a performance - especially on the side of the stage close to the bar - to get tipped. I've been meaning to get back there some day, but now I obviously won't be able to.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Oh no - Durant is out - f'ing-a - talk about high drama
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ shit wrong thread
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    The one worry I would have about having kids at a much older age is not having as much time with them. Say you have a kid at 60, odds are you may not even live to see them graduate from high school. You'll miss out on most of their lives. Plus the burden of having their mom be a single mother...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion