tuscl

Back in the day.....

skibum609
Massachusetts
Back in the day, before the internet, when you had to stand in line for concert tickets, mi cugino's neighbor was general manager of ticketron. At the time ticketron was it for concert tickets and we got ours before they went on sale and without sleeping on the sidewalk outside wherever they were selling tickets. As a result we saw a lot of great bands in the 70's and early 80's. These are the ones I recall: Pink Floyd; Grateful Dead; Alice Cooper; Black Sabbath; BTO; Yes; Rolling Stones; The Who; Jethro Tull; The Ramones; Bruce Springsteen; 3 Dog night; The Doobie Brothers; Eagles; Fleetwood Mac; Bob Dylan; The Cars (also saw them for free at college); Elvis Costello (also saw him at college); the Kinks (also saw them at collehge); thats all I recall due to weed. Best show by far was Pink Floyd. Footnote. Black Sabbath had an off night and got embarrassed by their backup act, who put on a show like we had never seen before: Kiss. What shows do oyu recall from back in the day?

41 comments

• Don't know but if u want I can take u out to watch a show with me ..the show is called "misconceptions of Muslims"
  • We can get ice cream after ..it would be ur reward :) LOLOL
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    The Allman Brothers Band at the Nassau Coliseum, Gordon Lightfoot in Jacksonville FL, Jimmy Buffett in Pittsburgh.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    I understand islam very well thank you. Not really a desert guy, althoug I admit that we have an ice cream "stand" around here that we nicknamed ice cream disneyworld, because the lines are similar. Rare stand that makes the ice cream from their own herds and rarer to see a stand with parking for over 400 cars.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    I would have loved to see the Allman Brothers. One that I missed.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    @skibumb. Seriously, the only concert that i went to as a young person was a Willy Nelson concert that was held at a state fair in a cow pasture. It wasn’t until 15 years ago that I met my current wife (20 years younger than me) that I actually attended a real concert. REO Speedwagon, 311, Sublime, Aerosmith and several punk bands in mosh pits. She was born
    3 months after I graduated high school, but knew more about my era than I. I think I may have missed out on some fun when I was younger.
  • SirLapdancealot
    5 years ago
    I saw Guns N Roses + Aerosmith when I was 16. In college I got to see Blondie, the Ramones, and PIL. My friend won free tickets to it which made it even better.
  • Spillthebeans
    5 years ago
    ZZ Top and The Eagles, but the top of the list Waylon, Willie and the boys. Lots of Jack in the Black bottles laying around after that one, including quite a few damsels in undress.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    I'd take Nicole to a concert
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    I saw the rat pack in Vegas several times in the 70's.
  • AZFourTwenty
    5 years ago
    Rolling Stones,Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Steven Stills, Golden Earing, Yes, Traffic, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath. Billy Joel and Gordon Lightfoot at my college.

These are the ones I remember. I had an older sister that worked for the City Manager. It was fairly easy to get tickets back in the 70's through her.
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I read Gordon Lightfoot and reminded me that about a month ago I went and saw Tom Rush.
    At the old Boston Gahden, I saw Hendricks bring the house down.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    We have some overlap, but not a lot. We have very different musical tastes...

I saw the Grateful Dead play with Santana at the UNLV football stadium. That was a fantastic concert. I saw The Ramones often, because that's closer to my tastes...back in the day.

The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Pogues, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Social Distortion, Violent Femmes, Bad Religion (saw them again just a few, years ago, still good for old guys...), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Husker Du, Fear...

There's a lot more. Fun times. It's remarkable that I survived.
  • EastCoaster
    5 years ago
    I've been attending concerts since the mid- to late 1960s, and over the years I have seen so many bands I wouldn't even know where to start in terms of what I recall. I've been to literally hundreds of concerts.

I guess it's notable that I saw Frank Zappa live more than 15 times, starting in 1967, so I guess that makes me a fan. He was, without a doubt, one of the best guitarists I ever saw. Also high on my list of musical memories was getting to see Jimi Hendrix in concert at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago in early 1968. He was with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, so it was the original Jimi Hendrix Experience. Their second album had just come out, and they were awesome. We had great seats and the tickets were a fairly-steep-at-the-time price of $6.00 each.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    Lol. I use to play blackjack on a table next to Chuck Berry while he played slots. He always had these women come up to him and want to touch his purple jacket and white captains hat. They were 70 to 80 year old women. He turned to me and asked me, “why can’t I can’t I have groupies come around me?” I looked at him and said, “Dude, those ARE YOUR GROUPIES!” He just laughed and went back to pushing the slot machine burtons. True story.
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    I was seeing this girl and while visiting her family in Seattle we took me a dive bar to see this up and coming band, Pearl something or another.

I also saw No Doubt right before their Tragic Kingdom album exploded onto the mainstream.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    I would have loved to see Nirvana, Green Day, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Run DMC, before they made it. And all the 90s house DJs...Danny Tenaglia, Cevin Fisher, Doc Martin, Bad Boy Bill.... etc We got so cheated when it comes to music.
  • clubdude
    5 years ago
    At a local concert bar in Lansing, MI I saw a "very young" Kiss (Gene Simmons was driving the U-haul), Argent, The Stooges, and on campus (Michigan State) some group with a guy from Royal Oak (suburb of Detroit) call The Eagles. I miss the 70s.
  • rockie
    5 years ago
    Elton John/Dave Mason & John Miles at Schaefer Stadium, Springsteen at the Providence Civic Center, James Taylor (Free) in Central Park, Jimmy Buffet on the Boston Commons, Sea Level at the Paradise Boston.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    Hendricks in the Garden must have been amazing Gawker. The Garden was a good venue, except on a hot summer night. Saw Aeroamith 5 times, but nothing would be the first: Wayland High School field house. My wife actually was friends with Joe Perry of Aerosmith as kids and his Mom taught gym at her High School. Also saw Boston, but it was different in that they were rehearsing at the Sheraton Tara hotel in Framingham and when I went to pick up my brother at work we met them and they let us and some of the other kitchen help stay and watch.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Perry Como, Andy Williams, Engelbert Humperdinck, Tony Orlando and Dawn
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I’ve been to a few concerts over the years, some of my most memorable were Bobby Darin saw him in Vegas the week he collapsed backstage and passed away, Elvis, also in Vegas, and Wayne Newton, The Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden, Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park, athe allman Brothers at the Filmore East, The Doors, at the Fillmore also. Janis Joplin, Smokey Robinson, my all time favorite was Garth Brooks in Central Park he had Gordon Lightfoot come on and do a set with him, and I remember Tony Orlando and Dawn at the Westbury Music fair recently Dion Dimucci, he lives near me, that’s all I can remember right now I’ll post again if others come to mind,
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    Tony Orlando and Dawn? That’s weird, I always though flagooner was more of a Captain & Tennille fan.

On the other hand, I can totally see flagooner in the audience at a Tom Jones concert screaming and throwing his underwear on stage. I suspect he wears the size XXXXL panties when he goes Tom Jonesing.

In case you are wondering, flagooner in Tom Jones fanboy mode is not a brilliant thing to see. Look away if you are ever dragged to a Tom Jones concert and he is there! ;)
  • crazyjoe
    5 years ago
    And you had to walk to and from school, uphill both ways, in 4 feet of snow right?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ don’t forget barefoot to save the only pair of shoes he owned.
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    Walking to school in 4 feet of snow. You oldsters had it easy.

If you want to talk about a non-brilliant childhood, I had to swim to school. And the lake was liquid nitrogen! Plus, the Captain & Tennille played my senior prom!
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ was the theme Muskrat Love ;)
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    flagooner was a chaperone at my prom. Seeing him lose it when they played “love will keep us together” scarred me. He rushed the stage! ;)
  • 4got2wipe
    5 years ago
    ^ And wore a “muskrat love” t-shirt
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Oh, I forgot to mention Tom Jones
  • rockie
    5 years ago
    Skibum: You provoked another memory or two (almost lost to the other Bud...weiser) frommy distant past. Aerosmith at The Ranch House (Marshfield), Robert Palmer at the Orpheum, Boston at the Rat (BC), and Robin Laine & the Chartbusters and George Thoroughgood & The Destroyers at Westfield State.
  • FishHawk
    5 years ago
    Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Ray Charles, The Hollies, The Association, The Turtles, Crosby Stills and Nash, Peter Paul & Mary, Blood Sweat and Tears, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Paul Winter, Dizzy Gillespie, Willie Nelson, Christopherson, Wynton Marsalis, James Taylor, Sly and the Family Stone, Donovan. I am sure there were other big names. Looking back at the list I was lucky to experience some quality groups and artists.,
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    1969. i saw the byrds in memphis. (free)
    1976. fleetwood mac. (free)
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    There use to be something where I lived as a kid called the Belkin club....tickets at a slight discount available to you before they went on sale to the public. I got to see a lot of great bands that way for what are insanely low cost compared to what people pay today.

And one of the things that I laugh at today are concerts overall. Around here there are so many what I call imposter bands playing the music and trying to look and act like the bands that wrote and originally played the music it's funny. Why would I spend 50 dollars to see the Dubbie Brothers imitate the Doobie Brothers for half that in 1978......and the list of this nonsense is endless.

Now the one small concert venue near me has local musicians playing entire albums from the past and charging 25 dollars to attend......and I have the original album I can play on a decent stereo or in some cases on a Reel to Reel that sounds better than anything that is being offered.

I had planned on seeing the Stones until Jagger took ill.....
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    About the only person I never have seen that I wanted to is EC. Chances are slim I get the chance now.
  • gSteph
    5 years ago
    I saw the Grateful Dead play at the Oregon Country Fair site back in the 70s. Was about a 100 degrees. Played my lifetime favorite game of frizzby with a couple of long haired topless lasses.
  • datinman
    5 years ago
    My list is very much like CMI's list. A ton of punk and new wave bands from 1977 -1985. Of all the mosh pits I have ever been in, ironically, the only time I ever really got hurt at a concert was at a Led Zeppelin concert in 1977. They played for all of 10 minutes, there was a brief rain shower, and they were already on the bus. The ensuing riot brought tear gas and billy clubs. I was just trying to get the fuck out of Dodge, someone decided I deserved a wack to the kidney just for being there.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    ^ Rockie - we saw the ramones at the Rusty Nail in Sunderland and saw BTO in the orpheum on a 97 degree day in Boston. had to be 120 inside. The best freebie concert was the cars in 1976 at the Blue wall on the Umass campus with 45 cent Tuborg drafts and no cover charge lol. Saw the kinks the same year in the fine arts center at Umass which was a 50 yard walk from my frat. State Police, before the concert announced that they were concerned with no burn marks on the new carpet because the BSO was platying the next night and if we agreed to smoke weed in the hallway, they agreed to ignore it. Amazing how life used to function.
  • Warrenboy75
    5 years ago
    76 was the same year I saw the Kinks......Schoolboys in Disgrace tour and they were really on their game that night.

I was lucky and never got hit, stampeded (sp?) or abused in any way at a concert.
  • lurkingdog
    5 years ago
    My first live concert was Paul Revere and the Raiders outdoors in Utah. One of my last 25 years later was Lyle Lovett outdoors in North Carolina. Perhaps the best was an Elton John Concert where he had no warm up band, started at 8:00 pm and played straight without a break until after midnight or a James Taylor concert in the Marin County Civic Center (a relatively small venue) in the late 1970’s. I have also seen a couple of magical Keith Jarrett concerts — total improv.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion