tuscl

N.J. strip club stole my tips, tried to prostitute me in ‘champagne rooms,’ form

NJBalla
New York
Prostitution at PH lounge? Nooooo....

https://www.nj.com/burlington/2019/03/nj…

32 comments

• twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I don’t know the law in New Jersey but, this sounds phony to me, IC status doesn’t exempt workers from needing to be on time, or needing to pay a portion of revenue for shared costs, I don’t know that I believe her, that she was forced by the club to perform sex acts, more likely she got to fat or too old to earn.
  • King_Gambrinus
    5 years ago
    Ambulance chasing lawyers. I’ve talked to others who said the girl suing is a known ROB and quit because word got around and PLs stopped dancing with her. Anyway, the Playhouse is my favorite club and I hope nothing bad comes of this.
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    One of the minor problems about the great economy is entitled strippers. In the days of the recession Id get extras offered for free if I was a regular, the quality of dances were high, and many dancers were gorgeous. These days mileage is lower, you have to do your research to find quality dances, and many of the beautiful girls either do OTC or found a sugar daddy.
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    That club does "force" dancers, but HJ's are so customary there that if she didnt do it she'd probably lose business quickly.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    These are very legit lawsuits. There have been very similar ones with bottle service girls being exploited and forced into prostitution in regular night clubs.

Extorting dancers out of their tips is a common practice....

The accusations against the club would make the dancer appear to be an employee rather than an independent contractor.... If you're an independent contractor, clubs can't demand a percentage/amount of your tips to be paid to the club or other staff. Now they can ask for a house fee, and redistribute said amount how they want, but legally can't ask you to distribute said fees yourself...that's a legit legal argument. This is could be big if it does become a class action suit.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Actually if you're an independent contractor they can't set a work schedule for you and demand you keep to it, so being on time would allude to a set schedule. Most clubs have a schedule for girls and demand they work certain days. But there's a legal argument there.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Well giving a handjob in a strip club is illegal and so is workplace coercion.
  • Uprightcitizen
    5 years ago
    The burden of proof will be high for her if indeed she was let go for effectively being an ROB and pissing off customers and staff. The only outcome that seems likely is possibly harming the club in the short term. Meanwhile she commits career suicide and will have to get out of dodge.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    So - did she expect to just show up at the strip club and use the premises to sell dances and not pay anything?
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Its not about just her, they want a class action suit.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    She expected to pay a house fee and sell dances.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Same thing that has been going on over the last couple of years - dancers that can't hack it as a stripper anymore looking for one last ROB hit - she could've quit after her first day if she didn't like the way the club did business - you know she's full of shit when she says the club forced her to prostitute - that is a very-popular club with a lot of PL-$$$ flowing in it - she knew why she was there and why she stayed that long ($$$ potential in the club) - she's probably a cunt and the club got rid of her and now she wants one more ROB hit.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    After all these lawsuits IDK how clubs are still leaving themselves open to this
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    "... she had to pay $12 to the “house,” $10 to the manager or “house mom,” and $10 to security workers. She also had to give the establishment $10 for each private dance she gave ..."

That's peanuts - again did she expect not to have to pay anything - as I mentioned, PLs spend a ton in that club and good dancers probably walk away w/ hundreds every shift if not high hundreds if not $1K+ at times - IMO taking $10 from every dance may be a better way to go o/w the measly $12 house-fee would be a lot higher (some popular clubs charge up to $100 for a house-fee and some very popular ones even more) - taking part of the dance-$$$ means she pays the club if she makes $$$ which may be a better way to go - again she knew the rules but chose to stay and work there.
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    I wonder which dancer it is? They put her real name in the article, I'm sure a patron knows who.

Someone made an interesting comment in the article:

"Let's see those tax returns when you have to turn them over as part of your lawsuit. But, I'm sure this fine, college student has fully declared all of those tips."

Would suck for her if that did come back to bite her in the ass. Since I bet she declared either no income in the form of tips or very little.

Gonna suck for the regular patrons of this club for awhile probably. Since they're gonna be in the spotlight I bet they'll be forced to clean up their act in terms of dances for a bit now. We'll see how the reviews of the place shape up. It's one of the more frequently reviewed places so I'm sure we'll get some info.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    The club in question is #2 on TUSCL in total # of reviews (behind Follies)
  • TFP
    5 years ago
    And I agree with Papi in regards to her. If she stayed that long she already knew what type of club it was. If she didn't like the type of dances customers would ask her to give she could've left after just the first month. The fact that she was there for almost a year makes me think it's exactly as Papi said. Word got around that she doesn't give good dances and the money stopped flowing for her. That club has a high amount of repeat business and surprisingly low turnover for dancers.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    She has legal rights. The club has no right to break the law.

Your arguments are that since the club chooses to be an illegal brothel extorting and coercing its workers via illegal business practices and an illicit workplace culture, she should just move on if she doesn't like it. That's asinine
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    Theyre saying shes full of crap and most likely nobody ever forced her to prostitute. Maybe the market demanded it and rather than work elsewhere or get a different job she filed a frivolous lawsuit for quick money and revenge.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Yeah, did California choose to get less demanding of their dancers after the lawsuit? From what I've gathered, the reverse happened.

@Icey Pimping is also illegal FYI
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Claiming the market demands illicit activities is asinine.

There was a tip dispute case in CA that netter about 250 dancers 6.5 million not too many years ago. Very similar case. This will hopefully go the same way. The key to winning it was proving a de facto/common law employee/employer relationship.

There are current cases where clubs are trying to gouge dancers after the new law.... the state is very interested in said suits coz clubs are robbing the state of payroll tax revenue. Its not about the dancers, its about unfair and unlawful business practices....
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    Well, if she is telling the truth about $50 fines for not "maintaining appearances" then PH may have shot themselves in the foot. At a certain point, control over the behavior of workers creates an employer/employee relationship and fining them for their appearance probably goes a step too far under almost any state's laws.

Also, while I don't know the law in NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a more expansive liberal state model. Many of the clubs in places like NY, CT and RI, also liberal bastions prone to tax grabs under the guise of employee protections, steer clear by using a very light hand from the standpoints of scheduling and attire requirements. Once PH settles this (which is the likely outcome), they are going to have to rethink how they manage these relationships.
  • King_Gambrinus
    5 years ago
    I feel the $50 fine is used as a weapon against certain dancers they are trying to get rid of. As mentioned previously, I’ve been going here for over 12 years and many of the same dancers still work here from my first visit. One of the older dancers has a daughter and a grand daughter that have both danced here. The turnover is low which means this place can make you some money if you know how to sell dances and cultivate a regular following. Which can’t be done if you are a ROB.
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Rumors and accusations against the dancer in question aren't the point here. The club's business practices are.

Truth is most clubs violate the law...but very few are ever made accountable.
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    Also hilarious that she complains about paying a house fee of $10 per song. Playhouse charges $30 per song and the average in Jersey is still $20 so the club is simply carrying the charges over to the customers
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I don't get it. If she doesn't like the rules, she doesn't have to work there.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ that's not stripper logic
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    Some of the quirks of the "dancers" who work at playhouse are.
    1. They make the most out of any club in NJ. The parking lots is full of luxury cars
    2. Very Low turnover in dancers because they make so much. Its the reason I dont come here often. A lot of older dancers there have a loyal customer base
    3. Very high percentage of regulars here who arent afraid to spend. I've heard rumors of guys who drop thousands per week on the same girl

This dancer was probably attracted by the money and got pushed out by the more senior dancers. It happens all the time at bars which cater to high spending regulars. Thats why if you go to bar like this and see a newbie its in your best interest to get her number. They usually leave after 2 or 3 weeks
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    You're missing the point that the "rules" violate the law.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    It's a good club I have had fun there. I highly doubt she was forced to do anything there are plenty of girls there that only do dances.
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    @Icey

STFU
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    Its true, hell, I'll even send a link to this thread to her attorney lol You guys are ignoring the fact that this isn't about her, its about the club's business practices.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion