tuscl

Millennials are Swooping Up Nike Stock

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:56 PM
Interesting Article [view link]

50 comments

• mark94
    6 years ago
    Here’s the real story. Nike makes its goods in China, with much work subcontracted to North Korea. If Trump puts in the next round of Tariffs, it could essentially shut down Nike. Nike has no choice but to go full-on anti-Trump. It’s a fight for survival.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    I have always boycotted Nike, so I am upset I cannot boycott them more.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Everyone wants to make Kaepernick seem like MLK and some kind of martyr. I agree w/ him wanting to call attention to his cause, but the way he went about-it is a classic-case of the ends-justifying-the-means and that is rarely a good thing - many different ways he could have gone about-it w/o alienating so many people - I don't think he's accomplished anything - those that agree w/ his actions most-likely agreed w/ his worldview already - his protest IMO unlikely won anyone over to his worldview and likely had an opposite effect. Him wearing those pigs-in-a-blanket socks and wearing a Che Guevara and Fidel Castro tshirt told me more than his protest did. Thinking back to the 60s, it seems those that tried to make change going about it the wrong way did not really succeed.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    He didn't sacrifice shit, he wouldn't take a pay cut when offered and is not worth starter money, its the NFL you fuck up and play goes down so does your pay. What you did before means nothing in the leage. He has been being paid by Nike for 4 years and now they are rolling this out. Is he a better backup then some in the league,sure, but he is a cancer and not worth having on your team for all the head aches, grandstanding and distractions he brings. He is not a team player he only cares about himself.
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    The hilarity of the commercials and the debates are both sides are avoiding the central topic because it makes them uncomfortable. The pro-Kap and Nike camp does a poor job of explaining ways all america can constructively combat the social injustices that plague america today while the anti kap camp side decries the supposed defilement of the American flag. I'd love to randomnly stop people to understand thier views on Kap and then ask them if they can properly explain the first 10 amendments. This is American Version 2018.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    ^^ excellent argument
  • pistola
    6 years ago
    Idk, the whole thing seems like a little bit of an attention whore act. Nike is that classic stripper everyone loved and it's getting older, a few wrinkles and stretch marks. She's 40 and still a classic but the competition is fierce. So she gets fancy new bolt-one and she's popular again. Giving titjobs in the VIP until the novelty wears off. I've been off the Nike is cool train for a while so really couldn't care either way.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^^I need to find a stripper like in your example! I LOVE titfucks lol and love girls who love to give them.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I thought millennial’s were buying Bitcoin!
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Fucking millenials.
  • Lil_Baller100
    6 years ago
    nike is my fucking shit
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    As a rule millennials haven't invested period. It's been well documented and a major concern expressed by the housing industry, Wall Street and to some extent the banking industry. Investing in a company because of a cause is a little bit like buying ketchup because you happen to like ice cream.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    $80 has been the soft ceiling for this stock since the announcement and I suspect that there is more fallout to come. Companies wade into social issues at their peril. it took Target over two years to regain its market cap after their bathroom policy announcement, which for a while led to boycotting and decreased sales. Only time will tell how much this affects Nike's bottom line, but keep in mind that the young people who cheer for Kap are often not the ones holding the purse strings.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    According to the poll via Axios, Nike’s numbers “dropped 34 points from a net +69 favorable impression (76% favorable, 7% unfavorable) among consumers to a net +35 favorable impression (60% favorable, 24% unfavorable).” These numbers are nothing short of devastating for Nike, and with no other news worthy of note, there’s no explanation for the sudden decline other than the company’s commitment to Kaepernick.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    As a friend of mine stated this morning: Nike is dying a slow death due to Colin Cancer.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Poll numbers aren’t good for Nike. But it’s market cap that should really get hurt, for them to feel it where it hurts. This shit with Kap and his attempts for attention - is a last ditch effort to make money and to remain relevant. It’s dumb, but Nike seems to be riding this wave hard.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    Just got 1 of my mutual funds semiannual report, and OMG, Nike stock comprises a whopping 1% of fund portfolio. I expect that they will dispose of at least some of those shares, and be reflected on fund capital gains distribution in December.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    organizations which start out as non-political, tend to move to the left, or become more liberal, unless they are explicitly conservative to begin with.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    I was actually on Facebook trying to tell fellow investor friends of mine to immediately buy stock in Nike. It was down almost 3% when the ad first aired and I knew that was very temporary. I told them all that it was the perfect time to invest in Nike, ASAP, as I knew this was going to end up being a great financial choice for Nike (and maybe even a great cultural choice but that is beside the point). Now, since the Kaepernick ad, their online sales alone have increased 31%.
  • sinclair
    6 years ago
    You won't see the effect until the quarterly and annual reports come out. Nike is just playing to their most hardcore customer base with their latest move. Heck, the urban community lines up outside Foot Locker when new Jordans get released and have been known to shoot each other if someone accidentally steps on their sneaker. They have been loyal to Nike forever. For most people, Nike, Puma, Adidas, and Under Armour are all interchangeable. It is all althletic gear made in a sweat shop. What I question about the article is millennials buying stock. I know few millennials in the stock market. If you wanted to make a play on Nike stock, you should have bought it a year ago at $50-51 and sold it around $80. As rick said, most analysts have it around its ceiling now. You want stocks that are a "buy", not a "hold" or "sell".
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Yeah but Nina said otherwise, doesn’t that make you change your mind?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Well NoMeat, I sure as hell was right last time (and every time) you tried to go toe-to-toe with me, when you ACTUALLY thought it was protocol in DUIs for cops to draw blood every time. Should I link the thread? When are you going to learn that I am right and you are wrong, and that unlike you, I don't pass things on as fact unless my info is verified? Another funny thing is that Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL, while the NFL is contracted with Nike for nearly the next 8 years. Haha!
  • ime
    6 years ago
    It's also back to school time so that is also probably part of it. How are the other sneaker companies doing right now?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Well, since Adidas tried to sign Kaepernick too, I'm sure they're wishing he had chosen them. Lol.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Nike favorability is down against all demographics based on an article i saw, but i haven't seen company favorability polls much before this for any company. They are certainlly getting there monies worth fot the millions they have been paying him for the last four years.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Nike shares reached an all-time high this week. Lol.
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    They still have money to invest after bitcoin? I wonder why that is...
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    or was it SNAP
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    Sorry about the trophies, y'all. we were just feeling guilty about all that shit we did to gen x
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Buying Nike at its high point is a chump move, there are much better plays in that sector of the market.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    ^That's why I was telling people to invest in Nike while it was low, because I knew the Kaepernick signing was a smart business move in the long run and their stock would go up.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    It wasn’t a good buy three months ago and it still isn’t, I don’t believe that they pay a dividend and their market share is constantly being eroded by other factors, too many other players in this sector. I get what their play is but a savvy investor isn’t looking for minimal growth in a non dividend paying stock.
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    > Fucking millenials. Now dat's where it's at
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    I guess millenials don't remember all the child labor and the sweatshops?
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    "I don't pass things on as fact unless my info is verified" Lol. Good one.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    ^I know. What happened last time you tried to correct me?
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    I don't remember I've had to correct you often. Find that year old prediction of Lebron going to LA yet?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    I predicted it months before anyone else here did so that gives me a leg up on you still. The fact that I was a few months off on when I remembered announcing that I knew he was going to LA doesn't change the fact that I called it early and you still can't let go of it. On a sidenote, I've grown to have a shred of respect for LeBron lately. Genuine respect. But I still hate him.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Sincerely, congratulations. You've admitted you were wrong and I was right. That's a big step for you. 9 isn't a few though, but no big deal.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    No, I was right dumbass, because I'm the one who predicted it. Jester you have some serious Nina Problems.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Did you predict it on this site a year ago? Because that's what you said. Don't regress Nina, you were doing good.
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    So you corrected me on something I was correct about, by telling me I said it a different month than I actually did? Idk when I first said it. The fact that the card you're playing is about something I was indeed correct about is ridiculous. You're a walking comedy act. I guess that's why they call you Jester. And I know I was "doing good." I am doing better than you ever have or ever will be.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    You don't know when you first said it? So why did you, rather vociferously, state that you said it over a year before?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Why the fuck do you care, weirdo?
  • JAprufrock
    6 years ago
    Millennials also are masturbating with a reckless abandon.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    LOL. You're telling someone named NoMeat that you'll link to a thread where you proved them wrong but asking me why I care? I guess the definition of hypocrisy never came up in you're LSAT "prep".
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Again, why do you care? You follow my posts caring so much about every detail I write. Why is that?
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Why do you care what NoMeat says?
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    Why do you care? Why? Explain.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Why do you care about NoMeat? Why? Explain.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion