tuscl

OT: SIRIUS/XM RENEWAL

minnow
Any place that interests me.
Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:18 PM
What is your experience with renewing Sirius/XM radio ? I'm particularly interested in "package deals" for more than 1 car, or certain "memberships" that might get you a discount code. Where I'm at now is that 1 of my cars free trial period lapsed over a year ago with no renewal, and my newer car's free trial period runs out in a couple of months. I consider the music aspect of the deal to be nice, but something I don't absolutely have to have. But one "rub" in the big picture is both cars have Nav. I very much like the built in integrated Nav feature in cars, including color coded traffic advisories along route, including the capability to follow an alternate route to avoid the bad congestion. The rub is that I have to have Sirius/XM subscription to have this feature available to me. My past experience with XM on another car (not Nav equipped) was less than delightful. After a few renewal cycles, I just dropped it, and didn't miss it that much. I have missed the traffic congestion display capability on my older vehicle. Please don't respond with "well you can do this and that with mobile app- not interested. Been there, done that. Mounting devices are a pita, imo. Appreciate any leads/experiences with Sirius/XM discounted renewals. Thanks.

14 comments

• abqspencer
    6 years ago
    My experience is it costs a fuck-ton, I bitch every time, and still renew it because I drive a lot.
  • celayatable
    6 years ago
    I get a full subscription(w/the Stern Channels and NFL radio) along with the internet access (via app). I pay $30 for six months. If they don’t give me this, I threaten to leave. It works every time.
  • BrotherFogHorn
    6 years ago
    Make sure to get the Brother FOGHORNS chanel
  • Skin4Win
    6 years ago
    I’ve renewed three years in a row and every time I just call them and tell them I want to renew for the year but it’s too expensive. They always cut it at least in half. They originally wanted like $250 this year and cut it to something like $115.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    I do exactly the same thing that celayatable said. It has always worked. Basically the same exact price since 2013 when I first paid for a subscription. Just call and ask to speak to Customer Retention. And here's a pro-tip: if you get a representative who isn't willing to give you the subscription for $30/6 months, just hang up and call again. Odds are that the next rep will be more helpful. I don't know why, but about a third of their customer service reps just aren't helpful. Anyway, I don't know if they specifically offer a multi vehicle discount, but please let us know if you find anything in that regard
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    I had Sirius free for 12 months when I bought my new car. I did not renew and they are still sending me offers that are less than half the normal cost.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Okay here’s my latest experience. I have 3 cars that have Siri/XM. I paid $150 (includes all fees and taxes) for one car with complete access to every channel and internet access. The other two cars I got on a special for $60+fees on each car for a year. I think it came out to around $75-80 for the year on each of those two cars(total around $150-160 for both). They are missing some sports channels but they have Howard stern and all the major sports channels (espn, fs1). My one main account auto renewed just last week at $317.00 yes, $317.00. I had to have 3 phone calls and one internet chat to get it knocked down to $150 for the year after all taxes and fees. I could have got it for something like $120-130 but I’d lose the internet access. I thought for as much as I travel and use the Sirius app it’s worth it for an extra $20-30. I think when the other two subscriptions expire I will just cancel them, wait a few weeks then add them again. One of the customer service reps admitted they can offer much better deals if the subscription on the corresponding account is inactive.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I dropped it immediately after the free trial period ended. I did one additional free trial - without the cc info needed. When that ended - I didn’t renew. I don’t drive enough to make it worthwhile. When my kids are in the car - they use their cell phones for their music and entertainment. Their cell plans are unlimited - as I pay the bill each month.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    I love SiriusXM. I have to admit that I have no idea what it costs as I did my taxes in January, but I know that if you have t his as a hobby and feel Sirius costs too much that you have serious priority issues with your money. I drive a lot in remote areas and as someone who hates country music I love it.
  • Corvus
    6 years ago
    I have a co-worker who paid about $350 over 12 years ago for a lifetime subscription. He's still listening all these years later. Not a bad deal for some radio but he doesn't have the new, modern options some of you mentioned above.
  • WetWilly
    6 years ago
    In my experience there is more advertising on this service than any other tv or radio service I've ever listened to in my life. I just bought a new car, used the free Sirius XM which came with the purchase, and wondered why I even turned it on. I declined their offer to extend because I honestly believe they it to pay me to listen with the abundance of advertising. It is not for me. Just say NO,!
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    Fellas, thanks for the replies. Skibum, I don't need a stinkin' lawyer to tell me how to prioritize my financial affairs. For some perspective, put the following in your pipe and smoke it: Me trying to save 100 bucks or so would be equivalent to several bottom tier Fortune 500 corporations trying to save "$5 million or so." Do you honestly believe that a major corporation would forego an opportunity to save $5-10M per year in supplier, leasing, or employee costs ?
  • Mate27
    6 years ago
    Corvus, I got the lifetime subscription to Sirius when Howard went on in 2006. 12 years later I’ve only put $500 into it, and it has become the best investment I’ve ever made, next to my education. If they ever offer another chance to pay for lifetime membership it’s worth it. I never have to worry about renewing and the PITA hoops to jump through trying to get the pricing lowered.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Sorry to bump a necro-thread, @minnow. Thanks for the tip, @celayatable. I’ll have to remember that when I call in august to get my $5/mo subscription renewed. I’ve been wishing I had the internet streaming with my package. I, too, have been using the call retentions dept 866-625-2345 and twist their arm to get the 5 for $25 every 5 months with my car since I've got this car. I usually tell them I want to cancel because it is too much money. They offer a $100 deal, I say no, they offer a $50 deal, I say no. Then after a long pause and some typing they offer the 5 mo for $25 promo deal I first had. Now I know I can probably get streaming added too. I had been wondering that. It really seems like re-extending the promo indefinely is part of SiriusXM’s business plan. They are about the easiest service provider to use with the “retention dept / call to cancel” hack. Why leave money on the table for the want of a 2 minute phone call (tops)?? Hmm. $75 for 5 months, or spend two minutes on the phone, and keep $50 in my pocket three times a year? Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that. ;)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion