tuscl

OT: Would you choose a self driving car (fully automated - and safe) - or a flyi

Cashman1234
He/Him - He’s a filthy pig. That’s him in VIP with another whore.
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:44 AM
Totally hypothetical - and way off topic: Here are two options (neither involving a stripper or strip club). A) A fully self-driving car - that is safe and comfortable. There would be no need to drive it at all. You could ignore the road and relax as you travel. B) A flying car - that is safe and requires you to drive/pilot. This car could be driven on the road - or flown if desired. You would be required to drive/pilot the vehicle to travel. I’m not sure which option I’d choose. I don’t mind driving. I think it would take time to adjust to not having a person driving while being in a car. I think the flying car part would be fun - but I’m not sure I’m ready for that either. I’m sure that I’d use the flying option if I was stuck in traffic while trying to get to a strip club! It would also be a cool thing to show off to the “car key wallet date” types of dancers! “Hi Trixie. Want to come out to see my flying car?!”

22 comments

• Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Flying car for me. When I was a kid, we were promised flying cars by the year 2000. I still want one.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I was thinking the same thing. I also have difficulty giving up control - and allowing a car to drive itself is still too foreign to me.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    If your self driving car stopped for a street walker, would that be prostitution?
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    I want a flying car. But there are drawbacks: 1. Flying over traffic jams will work only if you are the only person with a flying car. Once everybody has one, the air will become jammed. 2. The cost of a flying car and its fuel requirements will be prohibitive. 3. You will face a much greater danger of death if you are flying in the air.
  • Array
    6 years ago
    Autonomous, self-driving cars are going to make a huge difference in traffic behaviors. Most traffic problems are caused by the drivers. Driver errors, driver impairment, driver aggressiveness, driver timidity, etc. Taking the driving out of the hands of people and putting it under computer control will make driving so much more efficient and safer. Remember the rule of thumb you learned in driver’s ed? Allow one car length between you and the car ahead for every 10 mph driving speed. That’s to allow for driver reaction time, which is 3/4-1 second for most people. The reaction time of a computer is measured in hundredths of a second. So traffic speeds will probably be significantly higher and uniform for all drivers, there will be SAFE tailgating (that will be scary until you get used to it), driver impairment wil be an almost non-issue, and so on. Traffic congestion will be very much reduced. I say, bring it on and the sooner the better! With that said, I still think flying cars would be super, super cool. In 1961 I had to write an essay titled The World in 1990. I said we would have flying cars by then. I’m still waiting.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    RealDougster - if the car stopped - I wouldn’t be at fault - as it would be the car that did it. Maybe the car likes a banana in its tailpipe from time to time...
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    I would shit my pants. Imagine a flying shit truck wrecking
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Enough said
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    The flying car would be fun but I’d have to be more diligent about doing preventative maintenance like they do in the aircraft industry. Since component failure while flying could be catastrophic but that’s more for engines, which are pretty reliable these days.
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    Are you kidding me? A flying car, hands down! Or maybe hands on, in this case..... :-)
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    I also go with the flying car because the self driving ground car probably won’t want to go into muddy hunting spots. Worse yet, it will probably be politically correct and not take me to strip clubs. If I had a flying Silverado, I hunt wherever I want, fish wherever I want and, maybe find it easier to get high with strippers.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I’d probably take the self driving car. I’d actually travel more often for pleasure it that was a reality. I could just imagine punching in the destination and sleeping in the bad seat in the middle of the night and arriving at my destination in the morning. Maybe have to get up once or twice at night to refuel. That would be awesome! Just think about that. Your favorite strip club is 4 hours away? Get off work - auto drive your car, have dinner and a nap in the car while driving. After the club hop in the car drunk and have it drive you back home while you sleep in the back seat. That would never legally work but it’s nice to dream.
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    I'm for the flying car. The mile high club would take on a new meaning. :)
  • PeterEaster
    6 years ago
    @ Shailynn - great concept, Auto-driving to the strip clubs, I would definitely do that!
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Shailynn - that sounds like a great idea. Maybe a self driving SUV - with seats that open to a nice comfy bed would work quite well in that scenario!
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Everything shailynn said about self driving cars.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I think a flying car would be really great and super cool, but I believe many more people are going to benefit from self driving cars. Just think about the elderly or people who's vision is less than perfect or correctable, what a great benefit it would be to those folks not to be dependant on others to be able to take care of their day to day life. Of course think about Ricky Boy, drunk drivers, that would no longer be putting the lives of innocent people at risk. I am looking forward to self driving cars for many of those reasons including many of the reasons you guys have posted.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    B. Not even close.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Cars with automatic transmissions are boring. A self driving car (for me) just moves the needle for driving involvement in the wrong direction, even if it is beneficial for most of society. I like purist playthings: 3 pedal, plus H shifter, plus rear (or all) wheel drive, plus horsepower.
  • l00ber
    6 years ago
    I'm glad that someone else (Jackslash in this case) thought of the energy requirements which was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. If the fuel costs were magically the same, I would take a flying car just to be one of the first. Americans remember the first, not the best. Or maybe the first to charge for something.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    A self-driving car has the potential to change the world and save lives. A flying car has the potential to quickly kill me when I misjudge distances on the first flight. So I'll take the self-driving car. Plus the local ordinances would probably prevent me from operating the flying car anyway. At a minimum I would probably need to be cleared for takeoff by a unionized federal air traffic controller or something.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    If the flying car cost the same but was a whole lot faster, like over 4 times faster, the flying car. My hour drive would become like a 15 minute commute. If it cost 4 times as much to buy and 15 times as much to maintain, then the self driving car. I could fall asleep in the back seat and or drink a little bit extra. If it was self driving though, I could have several drinks before it took me to the club and only pay to drink a little at the club. I know the best way to fall asleep. Watch this webinar I watched this evening on my tablet with a really monotonous voice. If it was self driving, maybe they could add some virtual reality heads up displays so I could shoot at offending cars and watch them blow up or get virtual bullet holes. Might be fun. I would want them blow up after I was past them so as not to distract me from the view ahead. The game could keep a score count of cars eliminated on the way home. Could add a virtual hunter to keep count of deer and other animals successfully shot on the side of the road. All this virtually that is. Would need line of sight or some means to verify aim was good shooting deer, cars etc. Then the conversation could be what do you do for fun on the way over here. Watch webinars learning something, study, read, sleep, or work. If the car had an option to lie down, I could go to sleep and wake up at home. Would want options for radio sleep, radio snooze alarm, etc. My current radio has no such options.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion