tuscl

Tipping bartender?

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:42 PM
The other day I stopped by a club in the afternoon. Place was dead. I think 5 customers. 3 were sitting at one corner of the bar. Myself and another customer each had our own table. There was no waitress. Bartender was leaning on the bar just talking to the customers.

Since there was no waitress, I had to walk to the bar and order my own drink. When I walked up to the bar, the bartender was complaining to one of the customers about how no one was tipping. If I have to walk to the bar and order my own drink, that normally reduces the tip...significantly. If I'm sitting at the bar, I tip as I normally would.

On this day beers were $3.25. I walked to the bar, ordered a beer and tipped 75 cents. If there was a waitress (or I was sitting at the bar) I would have tipped $1.75. I don't feel I should tip as much if I have to walk to the bar and order my own drink...especially if the place is dead and the bartender is standing around talking. What does everyone else think?

17 comments

• ime
    7 years ago
    I tip at least a $1 per drink. If there is change i just usually leave change plus a buck, and if waitress another buck or two depending on service and attitude/looks.
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    I do the same as Ime. I just think it's the right thing to do. If a staff person has a shitty attitude that might change my behavior but I generally tip and maybe err on the side of over tipping.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    These clubs that add .25 to the price of a drink are doing so to increase tips since most guys will tip at least $1.00, they usually wind up with $1.75 tip. I'm not about to tip $1.75 for a $4.25 coke that cost the club about $.25 so I carry a few quarters with me.
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    If the bartender is talking to customers, that sounds like entertainment of sorts. A better deal than having the customers sit around just looking at their phones or whatever. I tend to walk to the bar to order my drinks anyway and tip a couple of bucks.

I'm not worried about the 75 cents or $1.75 tip on a drink. It's worth more to me to give a decent tip on a slow day to the girl measuring my shots, handling my glass and pouring free sample shots now and then. Some of the bartenders can be more fun to chat with than the strippers a particular shift, so there's that, too.

To your point, it seems to vary by club whether the bartender leaves the bar to ask if anyone would like another drink. I consider myself fortunate to be in good enough physical condition that getting up and walking over to the bar is a non-issue.

You might try asking the bartender if you could wave her over when it's time for the next drink. They tend to be pretty good at remembering what people are looking for. On the other hand, if for some reason there is a club rule that she's supposed to stay behind the bar, at least you would know. Or you could offer her something like $5 to come check on you every 25 or 30 minutes in violation of club rules, then once you're on a roll with that, work your way up to tipping her for lap-sitting...
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    Shadow, I think you are exactly right about adding .25 to the price of coke to increase the tip by .75. But you think ahead more than I so I leave 1.75 as a tip. I hate carrying around change unless I'm going to the car wash. Also my clubbing gym shorts only hold so much in the pockets. Lol.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    The bartender may not be the same thing as a waitress.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    I feel like the .75 was fine for a 3.25 beer. If it was me, I'd prolly tip 1.75 the first time, but not after. Or the opposite, and leave a coupe extra when you left. A lot of ppl don't tip at all on a beer.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Depends on the barmaid as well. At an old favorite club of mine. the barmaid I'd known for years would call me when a new dancer she knew I'd like started working or when my favorite dancer was there. Valuable info is worthy of a generous tip. A Tip fpr tip!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    I tip at least $1 to $2 per drink regardless of me walking to the bar to get it or not. It's not like I'm breaking a sweat. And, a little extra goodwill thrown towards the staff can pay its own dividends.
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    Hmm. I'd be leaving the 75cents on beers and cokes, $1.75 on mixed drinks. I presume many guys who do not visit tuscl don't tip at all.
  • londonguy
    7 years ago
    My view on this is it depends on the attitude and friendliness of the bartender. I don't have a rule that covers all situations.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    I'm a bit of a weirdo here. I typically tip a dollar and pocket the quarters. Beer is $4.50. When I get 8 quarters in my pocket, no more drinking.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I over tip - and I don't expect others to do it. If a beer is $3.25 - I'll leave $6. I'm not going to miss the couple of dollars.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    An extra dollar, beyond the normal tip, often results in VIP-type service for the rest of your visit, and means they remember you, and your drink, next time you come in. That's good value for a dollar.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    I prefer to over tip and would have left the $1.75. My Mom and sister both waitressed and in honor of them I over tip everywhere. In many strip clubs it makes a difference in how you are perceived and the staff talks to the dancers.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I have said this before I will tip as I leave, depending on how long I've been there, an hour or so is good for a ten spot, more than two or three hours will have me leaving a twenty.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    I'm a son of a waitress. So I tend to tip well, too.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion