tuscl

Weather channel coverage hurricane Irma

Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:50 PM
Guy is out in it at Naples, eye wall here has very high winds, have trouble standing in these wind gusts, watching out for flying debris, lightning, tornadoes. Don't do this at home. It's dangerous. In studio reporter. Can you get a wind reading?
Yeah, that gust was 60 mph , very strong.

Fortunately it appears the storm center has weakened quite a bit but still lots of threats, tornadoes, power lines down.
I think these in the field reporters are like an extreme reality show. Extreme if the winds were over 100. Apparently the reported hurricane winds are higher up, not on the ground where these reporters are at.

26 comments

• sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Oh eye wall still coming.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    What's he going to do if a tree blows at him at 100 mph? I hope he's fast.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Oh, now he is saying Florida is very fortified against hurricanes. Even the trees in Naples are. He says before the eye wall approaches.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Worst may be storm surge of several feet after eye has passed over. Then the waves on top of that. They are showing a tree down. Over 1.8 million without power in Florida. Probably lots of trees down. They estimate 10 million could lose power in Florida. I think that might be too high.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    To look more dramatic, they show waves at the bottom of the tv screen to look like the area is flooding. They took it back away.

Ok, now the reporter is standing in the eye wall. It's starting to look more like a hurricane. Studio says there is lightning. Reporter looks slightly nervous but says he doesn't see any lightning. Trees are holding strong.

Hopefully the southern keys aren't wiped out. I know the hurricane was stronger down there.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    You could argue down on the ground, the reporter might be in a slightly sheltered area.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Darwins.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    A car just drove by. Haha.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    The storm is definitely weaker. I've seen worse myself than what the reporter is showing.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    I guess it is worse if a string of tornadoes go over your neighborhood taking out trees and power.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    I can imagine myself doing this job. I once thought about being a meteorologist. They know the storm is weaker now and might have picked a slightly sheltered area to stand at away from trees, signs, etc. but with some wind.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    When you see trees snap and break, it's a lot stronger.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Officials Naples wind, 88 sustained, 130 gusts , not sure if that's down in the ground but probably.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Gust at 131 at Naples airport
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Ok now it got bad. Reporter is having trouble standing in the eye wall.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Sustained winds at 95 at the Naples airport
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Fortunately the storm is a lot weaker now.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Well I'm glad they showed it or I might have felt like I missed it. Even though I've seen worse when I lived in NC. Oops reporter got hurt by flying debris. Camera switched away. I bet he didn't see that one coming.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    He's ok. Back at it.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Even a little piece of wood hitting you at 95 mph hurts.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    He's behind the car with the camera man.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    My little piece of reporting the weather channel weak cat 3 from the eye wall. Over and out. Reporter says it's too dangerous.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Gusts up to 142 at airport, studio says winds are higher in the east where neighborhoods are at rather than where reporter is at. Might be called cat 4 at landfall.
    Reporter is likely getting some wind break near the vehicle he is standing nearby. That makes sense. Reality show.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    Now, cat 2. Good news.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    Yes I see stories on other weather channel reporters.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/906…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion