tuscl

All Fucked Up

JohnSmith69
layin low but staying high
I'll try again when I'm not high. But I don't think that's it. I'm using a desktop with the new web site for the first time, and it looks like crap. I can't find anything. It took me a couple of minutes to find the discussions. Words are cut off all over the place. The scroll bars at the side, or whatever you call them, are all ducked up. I've surfed through a bunch on web sites this evening and this is the only one that is screwed up.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed in detail and I missed some of it, but I'm just surprised at the site using a desktop for the first time. As an aside, I was starting to get used to the site on my phone and iPad. Some things seem to have gotten tweaked, or perhaps it was just my increased familiarity. But I can't use the desktop version on my computer right now.

By the way, I'm not trying to criticize Founder's efforts. I sympathize with how hard it is these days to develop a web site that looks good on all platforms, aps, devices, etc.

I'm using Internet explorer at the moment if that matters.

29 comments

• san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Have to use Mozilla. Internet Explorer has problems and does not work with it. Don't know about Chrome.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Yeah - Founder said not to use Internet Explorer and to use Google Chrome or Firefox
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    JS69: "I'll try again when I'm not high. "

Grow up, JohnSmith.
  • founder
    7 years ago
    Internet Explorer is a pile of shit.

• shadowcat
    7 years ago
    I use Chrome but I still have IE because it came with my computer. I use my desk top 99% of the time and have no problems with either on TUSCL.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Chrome works fine. Founder has graciously helped me find things. :)
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Thanks Shadow and VInce for the Chrome endorsement. Used it very little myself. Good to know that it is working for people. Might start to use it more.

Making web sites myself, have had lots of troubles with IE.

SJG
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    I was having trouble with the site, using IE on a laptop. Founder suggested that I switch to Firefox or Chrome and it's been trouble-free ever since. In fact, I decided to switch to Firefox altogether!
  • grand1511
    7 years ago
    Internet Explorer will never be the DB: Dream Browser.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Founder if you'd ban SJG, think of all the money you could save on bandwidth, enabling you to hire more IT guys to help out Rech, and still have money left so you can buy Emily a bottle of wine next time you go to Olive Garden for dinner.
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Ok thanks. I usually work on a Mac but can't at the moment. Does it work on Safari?

I don't think I've ever known a person with less of a sense of humor or fun than Dougster. It's nonexistent.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Chrome works fine here. Have had zero problems, other than simply not liking the new look at all. Great world we live in where problems that don't exist are fixed and those t hat do are not. The gay comments and his creepy fixation with another poster by Doug indicate a mental illness.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    "Internet Explorer will never be the DB: Dream Browser."

Fishsticks has already earned the title of DB: Douche Bag.
  • TheeOSU
    7 years ago
    Using a newer laptop with Microsoft Edge Windows 10 I had some posting problems early on but they seem to be fixed now, although I still prefer the older version of TUSCL.

One new thing I don't like is the post comment pop up box because you can't scroll up and reread a comment you want to reply to unless you close the popup box.
  • NaturalSelection
    7 years ago
    I can't find the edit button on Chrome or Exploder. Help!
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @TheeOSU. Here's a hack I discovered works fine on a laptop or notepad just open a second tab of TUSCL and switch back & forth when composing a reply in the comments box I know it doesn't work on the iPhone but I'll keep playing with it and I'll report on this issue again if I figure out a hack that might work on a mobile phone.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    I never used my desktop with IE much, if at all, before upgrading to Windows 10 with Edge. I did use a Windows phone with Mobile internet explorer with no problems; and have experienced no problems at all using Windows 10 with the Edge browser on my phone, tablet, or laptop.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    "One new thing I don't like is the post comment pop up box because you can't scroll up and reread a comment you want to reply to unless you close the popup box."

Agreed. I prefer the inline comment entry over pop-up for the same reason.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    How can someone spend the money to revamp the look and yet it's incompatible with a major browser (Explorer), has a sloppy look in general, and everything is too small?
    Like the login box...the click on boxes are fucking right next to each other! And still no edit feature....the old format was fine, and in fact it was much better.

I hope Founder is a better monger than he is a website supervisor or he'll go broke.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Founder has stated that the ability to edit posts is not going to happen due to the potential for abuse. I think this is valid.

I'm getting used to the new site, though it still has some foibles. I also know that it's impossible to please everyone, and that people are grump about change.
  • founder
    7 years ago
    rockstar... what version of IE are you using? I hear that it may actually work if you use IE10? Or MS Edge? I don't have the resources to support anything less than the browsers that support COMMON code. MSIE has ALWAYS had its own way of doing things.

Also, let me reiterate, a full 80% of tuscl traffic is on mobile devices, so that is where I choose to focus my development efforts. (even though I am typing this on my desktop)
  • founder
    7 years ago
    and just for your edification, IE is no longer a major player in the browser game:

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @naturalselection. Internet exploder only works on jihadist websites
  • founder
    7 years ago
    I have to agree that the popup to enter comments was a bad idea. It will be fixed.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Founder... Thanks for that.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    John, Safari is a "WebKit" browser which means it shares 'rendering DNA' with Google Chrome and other mobile browsers (like Safari on the iPhone). So Safari (Apple desktop) should be fine.

It's just Internet Explorer is weird (or rong), for various reasons I won't get into. It will just cause his to waste time to support IE's Trident-engine that could be put to better use elsewhere on Tuscl.

If founder says Mozilla Firefox (gecko-based) and Google Chrome (webkit, now blink-based) are good, then Safari should be okay, too. :)
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    If Shailynn wasn't here, we'd be without zillions of total spam comments. And right now he's giving his mom a heart attack, refusing to listen to her and always sneaking out of the attic and reconnecting the Internet.

She says that next Summer, when he has finished Jr. High School, she'll lift his confinement to the attic, but only if he listens to her now.

SJG

Belly Dance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BPZcRO…

math.com

https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Babalon-B…
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    "The not-StripperWeb" -> "the not Stripper Web"

Stripper Web, used in that way, is not a trademark or logo, or web address. It is just a common name, but this makes it a proper noun.

SJG

Lenin, insisting that the Czar must be shot, as early as 1903. I'm liking Lenin more and more. I would like to be in a revolution, or even to lead one.
    https://youtu.be/mYo8SEvnsrM?t=26m17s
  • Estafador
    7 years ago
    I don't like the fact that founder removed the ability to view all your past comments when you go to your profile. Really appreciated looking at past comments (not just discussions) to help with certain agendas
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion