tuscl

Gaslighting

Monday, March 6, 2017 10:30 AM
If every tuscler hasn't educated themselves on this artistic method of manipulation, he should. Since breaking free of the spell I was under, I have become acutely aware of all the signs of the tactic. Even though I knew I was being played, I just couldn't help myself because I was in too deep. If you find you are questioning your own simple logic, find yourself apologizing when you've only done everything right, do some homework on the topic.

28 comments

• Dominic77
    7 years ago
    Fortunately for the "I skipped the bookreport crowd" this lesson is best absorbed and internalized via the 1944 film "Gaslight." There is no better source. It should be required viewing for all. The other is "Anna Karenina".
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Are we talking about strippers, SOs, technocrats secretly running the world through algorithms, or the military-industrial-entertainment complex?
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    ^^^ The illuminati.
  • Imamutt
    7 years ago
    There is no Illuminati, and we will ruin anyone who tries to expose us.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    My C/F "likes" me but she's also playing me, which is fine. She puts on a great show for me in VIP and even upped the ante a little last Fri. which is only amazing in that she already breaks many rules. I don't even tip her; we just spend a lot of time in VIP. Thing is, she's obviously an extras girl which shocked the hell out of me when I realized, because my club isn't supposed to have them.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Ha rockstar! A long time ago JS69 declared every club has a girl that does extras. I kinda thought "bullshit" but every club has girls that do OTC. Well older I get I realize he is right. The challenge that is as PLs have is finding out which girl is the one that'll do the extras.
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    This is needlessly obscure. I'm pretty adept at picking up pop culture references but have little interest in 70-year-old movies. For those of us who have no intention of watching a two-hour movie from 1944, what is "gaslighting"?
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Oh, there's OTC at my club; I know that first hand. But I've had 100's of dancers and none have delivered on every level like she does ITC. My shock was that it's so rare I thought it was for me...but I have an inkling that's her usual routine as she gets to trust a customer. Works for me...some P/L's must be tipping her big bucks but I just pay the regular rate. She seems fine with it. I wonder if in time, she'll start asking for "favors"...?
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Mr. Deuce....a Movie from the 1950's called Gaslight where a husband intentionally drives his wife insane by creating 'situations'.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^ it's a form of mind fucking Trump is a master of it [view link]
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Forget the movie, that's barely relevant. Look up gaslighting as a verb on Wikipedia for a good explanation
  • Imamutt
    7 years ago
    Deuce, it is basically putting someone in a maddening environment and acting as if everything is perfectly mormal, causing the victim to question their own sanity and judgement to the point they will release control of their live to the perpetrator of the ruse. The ATF would no show me and deny the text she sent saying when and where she would be, wouldn't even look at it, say she never sent such a text, and accuse me of noshowing her.. Another tactic was to manipulate time stamps and sequences of texts and send a screen shot to 'prove' it was I who no showed her, an act of desperation on her part as I was finally facing the reality of my trap. I felt like if I just hung in there a bit longer she would come around, I was heavily invested and finally became fully aware that there was no way it would ever get any better. I don't blame her one bit, I allowed it to happen. Someone who lacks a conscience, empathy, and any capacity to return love has no problem luring a victim into ruin. Irony is, she would have everything she said she dreamed of if there was ever a sign of real compassion.
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    Thank you, rockstar, 25 and gammanu (simultaneously -- and here I thought you guys were one and the same!), and imamutt for the explanation. I understand now.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Deuce, how could I be Gammanu????? He's right of Trump and I'm left of Sanders!
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    But if we are one and the same, then I am the master of gaslighting!
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Heaven forbid, )
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    Gentlemen, simmer down! Clearly the identification of 25 with gammanu was meant to be facetious and rockstar was not intended to be part of that grouping at all. Note the placement of commas: rockstar, 25 and gammanu, and imamutt But seriously, rockstar: What could possibly be "left of Sanders" and why would you want to be there? Yikes! One of many reasons that I, a lifelong right-libertarian, opposed Trump throughout the seemingly eternal 2015-16 election cycle is that "the Right" means something honorable to me in an American political context and it is NOT the populist authoritarian nationalism of the Orange One. Now that he is the titular head of the Republican Party, his incoherent and unprincipled worldview is taken as an example of "conservatism", so that people say things like "He's right of Trump". (sigh)
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    I actually self- identify as a moderate.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    But here's the thing @MrDeuce like I stated earlier on this thread I'm not a lefty or a righty I'm a centerist and you and I have exchanged our thoughts a few times it has always been civil never personal you ought to acknowledge that. BTW I did get your snark hence my answer and I resent folks normalizing abnormal behavior i.e. Personal attacks on other perspectives, if you had come out and stated that I would not take offense, stand up man have some cojones.
  • Imamutt
    7 years ago
    A friend once asked if I self identified as a liberal or a conservative. I simply replied - No
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    @25, I have no beef with you and am not sure what has riled you up this time. 1. In a post to Hugh.G.Rection quite recently you wrote: ". . . if he wouldn't insist on making it political and personal(like all liberals (which I am not) all progressives which I am) . . .", which implies (I think) that you self-identify as a progressive. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but doesn't that put you on the left side of the spectrum? 2. Yes, I acknowledge that our PMs have always been civil, never personal. 3. You may have gotten snark out of my grouping you with gammanu, but none was intended. My lame attempt at humor was to pretend to equate two TUSCLers who are *clearly* not identical, simply because you both answered my question within the same minute. 4. OK, here's me showing some cojones: I have no interest in joining your vendettas against gammanu and skibum. In general I'm not interested in fighting with people on this discussion board. Can't we just concentrate on our shared love of strippers, titties, and ass? Shalom . . . Deuce
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I identify as a Progressive and a Centrist I have been quite clear about that from as long as I have been posting here and elsewhere Progressives are not just lefty's, they are people who are open minded enough to agree with scientific evidence as it is presented instead of denying facts. But that is not what has riled me up it's the fact that you, and many others like you ignore attacks from people, when you identify with their ideology, which is your right in this country and I don't care whether or not you agree politically, but ignoring the lies of a proven liar, because he is also a right winger strikes me as disingenuous at best. I have no little vendetta you really need to pay attention, if I am not attacked I do not start fights, I defend myself vigorously maybe that bothers you, but your characterizing my defense as a vendetta shows clearly your bias.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Don't worry, MrDeuce, I got the joke and thought it was pretty clever. And I would want nothing more than concentrating on the shared love of strippers, titties, and ass; but some people just don't want to get along (and I'm talking about our whole group in general, not anyone specific so don't get your panties in a bunch)
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    Um, Progressives *are* just lefties :) Also, claiming to have science and open-mindedness on the side of the Left, er, uh, of Progressivism implies that the Right is unscientific and close-minded.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^ I didn't say that at all. And how is disagreeing politically being a homosexual or other personal insult. Still not getting how any civil person gets to call any one who disagrees all kinds of vile epithets. I am speaking for myself and you are generalizing a whole group. BTW I still have the right to identify how I wish unless I'm missing something in the constitution of the United States.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    BTW what you are doing is textbook "Gaslighting" !
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    And here I thought it meant lighting up farts with a match. Huh.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    That to O
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion