tuscl

Brazil bicycle race, only 125 miles to go.

Have any of you bicycled that far?

I once routinely bicycled 15 to 30 miles at a time but never went more than about 45 miles in a day.

29 comments

• sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    The seats are not properly designed for men for sitting down either. I heard you can buy a modified seat. I stopped bicycling after an accident. Might get back into it sometime but want to make sure I have nuts securing the wheels to the frame with at least a thread or two showing on the bolt so that I can verify the wheel is secure. I'm not at all interested in a quick change wheel. My accident happened because the wheel came loose,
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Water polo is a sport I never played.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Road cycling is my favorite hobby, but more like 150 miles/wk spread over five or six days. Rarely ride for distance.

Have you seen pictures of Chris Froome? He upper body looks like a concentration camp victim from so much distance riding.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    No I haven't noticed. They switched from the race to water polo on the channel I have on.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I rally wanted to see women's volleyball.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Beach volleyball.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    I bike nearly every day from 10 to 35 miles. I'm not interested in trying 125 miles.
  • WetWilly
    8 years ago
    I've ridden more then 125 miles in a day many times. They are spending a lot of time on cobblestones today though, which I've never done.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I've always liked bike riding but more for pleasure than to excercise (i.e. crusing around) thus I don't ride for distance - every couple of weeks I take my bike down to South Beach & cruise around & check-out z babes.

And I always used to watch the Tour de France but have not followed it the last 2 or 3 years.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    That is some beautiful scenary on that Rio road race, makes me wanna visit
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Damn, a whole bunch of top riders have eaten it on the tight descends where they are hitting 50 mph+
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Damn, what a finish !!!
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Davis Double Century, 200 miles, and that year with 7000 feet of climbing.

On my own gone over 100 miles many many times.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Plan to be doing much more long distance riding, in the 100 miles per day plus range.

Ryan Bowen Biking for Obama:
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/blog…

Going from LA to DC, in December and January! Staying close to the Mexican border, except at the coasts. So the total trip had to be over 4,000 miles, and Bowen was averaging over 100 miles per day.

SJG

Robin Trower, live 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VB3urL…
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I like biking, but no way on a long, long distance ride.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Slightly off topic, athletic women on road bikes can be incredibly sexy:

http://tinyurl.com/j8qmn2f
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Whoa.....there was a scary crash on the descent in the women's race. Does not look good
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    No it does not look good. She wasn't moving and I'm worried she may have a head injury. I feel bad for her.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Will the American pull it off?
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Shit, after 100+ miles comes down to the last few meters
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Wow what a finish. The American woman failed to hold onto a big lead
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Yeah, the American's specialty is climbing & climbers are not as good/fast in the flats or descents, plus she was having to work alone which rarely works in road-cycling whereas the other 3 cyclists could work together
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I'm not a cycling expert, but drafting in cycling must be as important as in auto racing. It happened in the men's race too
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Was just reported that unconfirmed reports from Dutch TV say the racer that fell is ok, hope that is the case, that was a bad looking fall
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Glad to hear she is okay. She was motionless. It looked bad
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Drafting in bicycling is extremely important, much more so than in auto racing. Automobile engines have power limits, but they don't fatigue.

In college I was for a while on the schools racing team, and we did criterion practice on a runners track. You learn to stay very close, and also to use body lean to reduce frame lean in order to be able to pedal further into corners, and pedal out earlier.

My point her is that you need to ride well, wont be much in terms of safety margins.

SJG

Knife-Edge - Emerson, Lake & Palmer [2012 Remaster]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIehM-x…
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    "Glad to hear she is okay. She was motionless. It looked bad"

Has anybody heard any more about the Dutch racer that had the crash? That crash looked nasty. Seriously non-brilliant.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    I used to race when I was in high school. Practice rides were 50 miles a day with a 100 mile club ride on Saturday, unless I was racing Sunday and then I'd only do about 25 miles. Races were short for that age group; about 25-30 miles IIRC. My best finish ever was 3rd. I pretty much hung up the bike when I went to college, although about 25 years ago I came out of retirement and rode a triathlon relay (i.e. I only did the bike part).
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    @ SJG: Yes, I remember my first club ride which was maybe 40 riders. I was scared shitless in the middle of the pack and if you get tired you have to keep going. Multiply that by 10 when it's an actual race! You have to be a very good rider to race and I mean not just strong. You have to know all your gear rations to keep an exact pace, or you'll cause a wreck. Fortunately, I never crashed or caused a crash in a race, but I did crash one on a ride. I was okay but the frame was totaled.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion