tuscl

Keith Emerson of Emerson. Lake and Palmer passed away last night.....

2016 claims another great musician. My generation must have heard "Lucky Man" a zillion times. RIP

20 comments

• rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I loved ELP even though they didn't have a guitar player. Karn Evil 9 was great!
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Sometimes Greg Lake played 6 string guitar. Just like with King Crimson, they were good with mixing different song types on the albums.

I liked Keith Emerson very much. By far, a most theatrical keyboard player.

Thanks for the heads up mikeya02

SJG

We all need to learn from this book and act. Otherwise neo-liberalism will eat our country alive. I'm fighting neo-liberalism here on the ground, day after day, while elected office holders fight to keep their Silicon Valley Real Estate Ponzi Scheme going:

http://www.amazon.com/Multitude-War-Demo…

ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NAGTq_…
    ( imagine today a digital organ which allows contextual tuning, so it sounds more consonant, like an orchestra )
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    Wow. Karn evil 9!! Thanks rockstar666....I hadn't thought of that song in forever! I gotta go d/l it, light a blunt and go back to a simpler time
  • WetWilly
    9 years ago
    I used to listen to ELP religiously, even more often than my parents forced me to believe in their religion. :-)
  • clubdude
    9 years ago
    The rockers of my youth are really falling by the wayside this year. Carl Palmer is coming to Detroit in the next few months. I better get with it and see him!
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

The assault on musicians this year continues.

2016. The year the music died.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Yet Ted Nugent lives Life isn't fair.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    I sort of remember my older sister had an ELP album with an armadillo on it? As a tank or something? She really loved that band.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    'Fanfare for the common man' was their best record IMHO
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    Sadly, it appears he shot himself to death.
  • minnow
    9 years ago
    Oh, "nutrocker"! I'd better order quick before Amazon runs out of "ELP" albums. RIP, KE.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Lowpaw: Tarkis, if I'm not mistaken. I don't own any ELP but I spend many hours in friends' dorm rooms smoking pot and being amazed at the artistry.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    There's a morbid website called deathlist.net that ranks the likelihood a celebrity will pass.

The 2016 predictions so far are not very accurate. The only 2 musicians in the Top 50 were Fats Domino and Glen Campbell.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Most of ELP's works were the best example of rock music without lead guitar.

Interesting to listen to, and to consider why it works so well. But it is also extremely influenced by classical music.

That entire genre, mostly coming out of the UK, has been referred to as Art Rock, and they saw it as being a form of high culture. Some of this still exists to this day.

But the ELP members, like Greg Lake, always point out that in their heyday they outsold Led Zeppelin, and then when they first heard Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols they say that they just laughed out loud.

SJG

Anthony Burgess and Malcom McDowell, analysis of Clockwork Orange
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3IZSM7…

Wendy Williams
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Carl…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSq6B-kd…
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I wasn't particularly a fan of prog rock.

I don't have anything of substance to add. I just like using the term prog rock in a thread.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Some other great prog rock bands...

King Crimson
    Yes
    Rush
    Genisis
    Jethro Tull
    Pink Floyd

Space rock....

Hawkwind (with the late, great Lemmy)

• vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Way back when I was a young man. Unbelievable, I know. Shut up shadowcat !! LOL We had a club in one of our tonier suburbs where up and coming rock bands played. Alice Cooper, ELP, etc., etc. I'll never forget Emerson throwing real knives into the back of his keyboards and making some memorable rock with actual music notes.
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    I was one of those kids who heard "Lucky Man" a zillion times. What a wonderful band ELP was!

mikey's list of prog rock bands:

King Crimson
    Yes
    Rush
    Genisis
    Jethro Tull
    Pink Floyd

is fantastic. To this day I think 70s prog rock (mostly British except for Rush) is the best music in the world. Some of my recent and upcoming concerts:

6/2015 - Rush @ Peabody Opera House, St Louis
    7/2015 - Led Zep II and Aussie Floyd @ Northerly Island, Chicago
    12/2015 - El Monstero (Pink Floyd tribute band) @ the Pageant, St Louis
    2/2016 - The Musical Box (Genesis tribute band) @ Arcada Theatre, St Charles, IL
    3/2016 - Brit Floyd @ Sangamon Auditorium, Springfield -- 4 days!!
    4/2016 - Jethro Tull @ Murat Temple, Indianapolis

• mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ You're lucky to have seen Rush last year. They recently announced they're calling it quits on touring due to Neil Peart unable to handle it anymore
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    Yes, I'm very glad I caught what turns out to have been Rush's farewell tour. You'll notice that almost all of my favorite bands have already faded from the scene :(

I think I'll become an alt-J and Imagine Dragons fanboy :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion