tuscl

Geography changes mileage and cost expectations and perceptions

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
When one clubs in places like MA and NY, one can generally expect to pay a lot of money for fun. When I say "fun" I mean OTC, but a similar principle holds for ITC action. And this assumes that fun is available at all with an attractive girl. Prior to the Great Recession, money flowed pretty freely in the clubs in those areas and any type of serious action was difficult to find unless one was spending well north of $1,000. There were exceptions to this of course, most notably Providence and a few dive clubs in CT for those willing to drive out to either of those areas, but there were quality trade-offs necessary to enjoy those places as well. Since the start of the downturn, things have opened up a bit in MA and NY (and a lot in PVD before things tightened there), but finding reasonably priced fun is still a serious challenge in those areas.

But having said all of that, it was the environment I was accustomed to. The Great Recession opened up OTC opportunities in my local NY-metro area club, but even then I had to shell out $300 OTC plus more money ITC prior to the event in order to have fun with upper tier talent. Now as a traveler, I also got to enjoy cheaper fun in certain places like FL and SC, but those were pleasant discounted exceptions rather than the norm.

But now that I have lived in the South for a few years, I have a much greater appreciation for what some of you boys were talking about all those years in terms of value expectations. I still travel a lot, but now I am traveling from to higher cost areas from a lower cost locale rather than the other way around. This has seriously influenced my thinking on value and what I am willing to spend for action, a fact which really hit home during recent trips to NYC and LA, I am having much more trouble getting my arms around big ticket expenditures for fun in high cost areas when I know that I can just wait a few days and get a much better bang for my buck back home.

14 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    That is why I don't do any traveling to visit strip clubs. Detroit & Miami are both more expensive than my favorite Atlanta club.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Funny Rick did you just admit that you might have been wrong in the past or are you just joking.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Agreed. Hardly do I waste time in a club when traveling. The time is biggest drain to try for any fun as the groundwork has been laid at the home clubs.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    @twenty: I'm not sure if there is a "right" or "wrong" on this one. I never disbelieved what shadow and a few others were saying about their costs of services. I did express amazement and sorrow over how much more I was forced to pay as both a resident of the northeast and a traveler to many other more expensive areas. Now that I am one of those guys getting offered stuff for as little as $100 and rarely over $200, I'm finding it to be a neat experience.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    This is not John Smith approved. Super expensive dream strippers for him.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Hey Rick, so I take it you kinda like the land of milk and honey, eh? :)

So what part of "the South" are you calling home now? Idle curiosity and none of my business, of course. :)
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    9 years ago
    In Providence, it used to be hard to walk into a club and not get laid (and at regionally-reasonable prices. That's no longer the case.

This is one of the few areas where I hope for a worsening economy... as long as it doesn't affect me.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    I can only imagine what it would be like for me to SC somewhere other than SF and Vegas. I have a buddy who lives in Phoenix, who I've been looking for an excuse to visit, will that give me a taste of low-cost clubbing? I also travel to Texas a few times a year, Dallas and Houston, but have not SCed in either, either of those feature fun clubbing at a reasonable price? (haven't heard good things about Houston, but I vaguely remember hearing good things about Dallas)
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    When I'm in Vegas I know not to bother with VIP and I know not to expect great mileage. In places like Miami, COI, Detroit etc it's exactly the opposite.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I started SCing when I lived in Dallas and never thought $20 for a dance was too expensive.

Once I moved back-home to Miami and started hitting the $5 black clubs; now I find-it painful to pay the standard $25/LD SoFla non-black-SC price. Sure; this *is* an extreme example but def falls under “expectations thinking”.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    I'm not shocked. Everything is overpriced in NYC, and my understanding is laws in MA get in the way of fun.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Guess you are just joking but gee, I seem to remember you telling everyone that there was a standard price (the term you used at the time was the going, or usual rate). I guess I just imagined that.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    All i read was I'm a faggot! I'm a faggot! I'm a faggot! Over and over
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    Twenty, I'd happily admit to being wrong if I ever took the goofy position that OTC cost the same everywhere, but of course I never did. In fact, I've talked about ways to try ti gauge acceptable OTC prices when traveling.

Now I have said that my historical OTC payments (at least prior to moving south) fell in a fairly narrow $250 - 300 per hour band, because they did. I lived in the NY metro area and, when traveling, was arranging first meet, same night OTC. I'll readily admit that I have no doubt over-payed historically in places like Atlanta and parts of South Carolina, by way of two examples. But on the road I don't have the luxury of gaining regular status, getting to know the local markets well and generally building rapport with the dancers in those clubs, so I chalk up over-payments as a traveling monger tax. But, again, I never doubted shadow and others who are able to score it cheaper in their local clubs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion