tuscl

OT: Race and NFL

Clackport
Washington
Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:24 PM
Some of you might be uncomfortable discussing race in relation to the NFL, but something needs to be said about this. Let's start with the NFL. Black players make up around 65% of the league, but yet only 5 out of 32 NFL head coaches are black. I look at someone like the Detroit Lions head coach, he's probably gonna get fired in the next couple of weeks (he's black by the way). He was there 2 years, and made the playoffs once. The previous Lions head coach (white guy) coached there 5 years and made the playoffs once. Hue Jackson (black guy) coached the Raiders for one year and led them to 8-8 but yet was fired after that. The current Raiders head coach (white guy) went 7-9 in his first year, but there's definitely no talk about him getting fired, in fact everything is positive in Oakland, they say the future is bright there, and that the current coach did a great job there this year. When the black Raiders head coach got fired after one 8-8 season, he didn't get another head coaching opportunity, he had to go be a secondary coach, then offensive coordinator for Cincinnatti. Finally there's talk of him of getting a head coach chance this offseason. White head coaches like the Rams coach and Jaguars coach haven't made the playoffs in their 3-4 years tenure as head coaches for those teams, but yet there's no talk about them getting fired. I guarantee you a black coach would have not gotten that long of a leash if it was them. The current Broncos head coach (white guy) previously coached the Texans for eight years, and only made the playoffs twice in that span, but yet after he was fired, he got to be the Broncos head coach. So what I'm saying is black head coaches are getting a shorter leash than their white counterparts, and when black head coaches are fired, they don't get another head coaching opportunity for awhile, they have to go be coordinators for awhile. Seeing all of this definitely frustrates me, and it ain't right. Rex Ryan (white guy, currently Bills head coach) previously coached the Jets and missed the playoffs four straight years to end his tenure with the Jets. Guess what, he got hired as the Bills head coach right after that. The current Jets head coach (black guy) went 10-6 in his first year with the Jets. You can best believe if the Jets don't make the playoffs next year he will definitely be fired, and he probably won't get another head coaching opportunity again. End of rant

90 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Well – black people make 12% of the U.S. population; so why should they be more than 12% in anything else?
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    The black NFL players make up 65 to 70% of the league, but yet only 15% of the coaches are black Papi. My thread was more about black head coaches having a short leash, and once getting fired, not getting any more head coaching opportunities.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Kk im no Uncle Tom but gotta point out MIke Pennine in Cleveland fired after two years. Lovie Smith stayed a little too long in Chicago and hasn't done shit with the Bucs (he's not getting fired anytime soon) Hue Jackson had a power struggle in Oakland so they cut him. Our GM Reggie Mckenzie is black, a lot of fans were calling for his job a couple years ago, but he's still there. NFL is a win or go home league regardless of color
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    GACA makes some points, but Lovie was 10-6 in his last year before getting fired and Chicago hasn't been that good since. I have to point out Marvin Lewis has been given a long leash in Cincinnati. They could have easily fired him early in his tenure but felt as though they had the right guy and stuck with him. Look at the Steelers model, if you feel you have the right guy you work with him to make changes not fire him just because of a dubious season. If you fire a coach that quickly, it means you (the gm or owner) fucked up the hiring process in the first place. But no one wants to admit they were wrong when they can blame someone else.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Yes Marvin has been giving a long leash, there are always exceptions. I will point out tho that Marvin has made the playoffs five straight years.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    The guy in San Fran is white and got let-go after one-season. Jim Harbaugh was a top-notch coach and still got fired even though he was winning/producing. Chip Kelly got fired after 3 seasons where 2 of those were winning seasons. If the NFL does not have issues having black players b/c they add to the bottom-line; they should not have issues w/ black coaches if they add to the bottom-line.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I think the main factor is how well the coach gets along with the players and the front office.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Everything isn't always what it seems. Out of the 128 NCAA Division I schools, there were only 11 black head coaches. On the surface one might immediately say blacks are underrepresented so it must be due to prejudice and discrimination. However, the typical entry level position for a coach is to become a graduate assistant. One must be willing to make a big sacrifice. You must continue your studies in grad school and be willing to work for a very meager stipend. For whatever reason, more white kids than black kids want to do this. The lack of black grad assistants in college eventually trickles down to why there are so few black NFL coaches. .
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    You're judging the NFL as a whole when what you're talking about is 32 distinct entities. Different operations with different ways of doing business. Black players make up 70% of the league? So what, the vast majority of coaches never played pro-ball. I would be more willing to concede that college football has some issues with coaches and race.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Of course it seems unfair when you cherry oick your argument. Bomani Jones had a debate on this exact issue on the radio a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the caller was a moron. When blacks only account for 13 percent of the general population why are they so well represented as players in the NBA and NFL? Are whites getting discriminated against? Blacks will not argue that they have any physical genetic advantages to explain this because it could then be argued that there are inherent differences due to race and they are genetically lacking in other areas. It is commonly argued that sports is the one area where meritocracy truly exists. I have not heard a good argument for it to only exist on the playing field and not the sidelines. Mic drop.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Papi it's pretty common knowledge that Kelly and Harbaugh didn't get along with the players and the front office, that's the reason they were fired, not because of their record. The last 49ers head coach went 5-11, that's why he got fired. What do you guys have to say about the valid points I made about Rex Ryan, Gary Kubiak, Jim Caldwell, Jim Schwartz, Jack Del Rio, Hue Jackson, Jeff Fisher, whatever the fuck the name of the Jaguars coach, Todd Bowles, Marvin Lewis etc. You can't tell me this is all just coincidence. Hell the Ravens head coach (white) was previously a freaking special teams head coach, and then he got the head coaching job for the Ravens. That hasn't happened for a black guy, it won't, and it never will.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    If you list instances where black coaches are fired even if they are successful then you may have a case; but it's almost as if you are saying they should not get fired even if they don't win. Coaches get fired all the time for various reasons and these reasons usually apply equally to both races. Since black coaches are a minority and since we still have race issues in this country; it's thus easy to make a circumstantial leap.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    I agree with Papi. There are a lot of race issues in the US but I think they have mostly been eradicated in the major sports.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    You're not understanding my thread Papi. I'm saying in general black head coaches have a shorter leash compared to their white counterparts, and when black coaches do get fired, it's tough for them to get another head coaching opportunity. I've laid out plenty of examples in my thread to back that up.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Clackport, For every example you cite there are others where it happens to white coaches. There are others where black head coaches get a long leash. There are many that have been cied above. You are cherry picking examples to support your hypothesis. You don't seem to be willing to be open minded and eve consider that your conclusion may not be well fully supported..
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Ok – let's not dance around the subject anymore. The real reason is that black people are not as smart. There – you happy now. LOL.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Ok flagooner. Find me where a white coach goes 8-8 in his first year and then gets fired. Find me where a black coach ends his tenure with the team missing the playoffs four straight years, and then immediately gets a new head coaching position. Find me black coaches that stink up the place with no playoff appearances in 4 or 5 straight years like Fisher in St. Louis and the Jaguars head coach and still be able to keep their job. I'll be waiting.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    You are asking for pretty specific examples. Off the top of my head, how about Marty Shottenheimer with the Redskins? I think that satisfies scenario number 1 pretty closely. You might want to check on it and report back.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Now can you explain to me why meritocracy exists so strongly in selecting players but not coaches? The ultimate goal is to win.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    And before Jacksonville's current coach they had a white guy who they fired after one year. BTW Jacksonville is owned by a minority.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    Schottenheimer was fired because he wouldn't relinquish his director of football operations job. "Our decision was a difficult one and based on philosophical management issues, not on coaching ability,'' Daniel Snyder said in a statement. They went on to hire Steve Spurrier. Another in the fine line of Daniel Snyder decisions.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Thanks for that rh48hr. Jester- the coach you're talking about that that lasted one year went 2-14 in his only year. That's not a good example. Flagooner it's a player's league. Players determine the outcome of the game. Coaches can have the greatest schemes, but without players there's no effect. Black players are generally more fast and athletic than their white counterparts, so that's why there's so many black players. It's not rocket science. I'm not saying it's racism, but there is definitely a race problem in the NFL. Some of you that think the NFL doesn't have a race problem probably think there's no racism in America anymore.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    It takes two to tango; the race issues are not just one-sided as if many black folks don't have any responsibility for the predicament many are in – i.e. too many black folks make terrible life decisions then blame their ills on racism.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    And two years later Bradley went 3-13 and they kept him. Obviously they're lots of factors in play. First you seem to be suggesting there aren't enough black coaches because they are mostly black players. Given the coaching pool this is meaningless. Then you make some vague assertion that black coaches get a "short leash" by tossing out a handful of examples. It sounds like you want there to be a race problem in the NFL.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    There are some white folks that wanna close their eyes and say race problems don't exist anymore. SMH. I guess you would have to go through the prejudice to have proper perspective. Jester I have no idea what you're talking about on the second paragraph. Because there's many black players, that's not why there's not many black coaches. What the fuck does that mean? I said nothing of that nature. Reread my thread. I don't seem to be suggesting anything. I made it fucking clear what I think.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    I personally would like to thank the Miami Dolphins for not hiring Mike Tomlin because he was too "hip-hop". How did that work out for you? (Cam Cameron, Tony Sparano, Todd Bowles - interim, should have kept him, Joe Philbin and Dan Campbell (interim)). More coaches since 2007 then the Steelers have hired since 1969.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Was Shottenheimer 8-8 after 1 season and then fired? Isn't that what you asked for? When I give you an example you add more criteria to disqualify it. You will not allow yourself to be open minded. Next you will ask me to find an example of a natve american coach who was kept after coaching 15 cosecutive seasons with double digit losses. This discussion reminds me of something I heard a while ago. The first sign that you are doing better in racial relations is when you hire a black man. But far more progressive is when you can fire them without fear that someone will say it is racially motivated. Are you going to rebut my point about meritocracy? I didn't think so.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    What was the name of that white Vikings running back that filed a discrimination lawsuit against the NFL because he was paid under what other comparable draft picks got? Not sure how that lawsuit turned out, but it goes to prove a point. Racism isn't a one way street. Also, anyone picking a bias against black coaches can use confirmation bias to argue their side, but it doesn't mean that it's correct. Confirmation bias is what politicians use to drive an agenda, and the OP is using confirmation bias to drive the agenda that the NFL is biased against black coaches. Highly subjective with no strong correlation to the accusations, as several posters on this discussion have countered effectively to the OP's topic.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    To make these "race" assert actions credible you would also need to state how many black coaches apply for coaching positions compared to other races. Haven't you left out that fact Clackport?
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Race is a very complicated issue and I don't think it will be resolved in a TUSCL thread.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    If black coaches have proportionately applied for the coaching positions as the players ratio in the NFL, then you have an assertation of "racism". Clackports discussion thread is highly short sighted and is using the bait and switch method to incite harsh feelings. Freedom of speech = freedom to ignore.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    I'm done with this thread. Too much work to type all this on my phone.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    "There are some white folks that wanna close their eyes and say race problems don't exist anymore. SMH. I guess you would have to go through the prejudice to have proper perspective." Ah yes, now we're all just a bunch of white racists who don't "get it". I already said I think there are race issues at the college level. The very first point you raised was there are 65% black players but only 15% black coaches. Given the pool of potential head coaches those number are irrelevant. So your only argument is a few hand picked examples of a so called "short leash". Anything contrary to that is just an "exception". Show a trend and you might have a leg to stand on, but you haven't.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    As I mentioned; racism is not a one-way street. There are issues on both-sides but often times no matter which side one is on most people seem to look at it mainly from just one perspective/side – it's the human condition I suppose. But – I can only assume things will get better with time b/c IMO they *have* gotten better w/ time.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Thanks for stirring the pot Clakport – now I'm not even in the mood to hit a black club. Nah – I wouldn't go that far.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    The true ignorance of this discussion is the OP starting this based on framing the topic toward driving his "race" agenda. Similar to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson tactics. If this is a real issue, the activists would have been all over this by now. The next "racism" issue would be to address is why has there only been one black quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, considering over 65% of blacks represent the NFL players association. This would seem to be an easier issue to argue than black coaches getting fired. Better yet, let's research how many black quarterbacks have been given a short leash at their position like RG III!? Your right flagooner, this takes too long to type on the phone for such ignorance. Nice bait and switch tactic. Didn't think Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson would come on TUsCL.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Clack- If you are looking at the statistics you are using then that might be one conclusion you might come up with and the truth there may be some non-overt racism just like every other place in this world, but the bottom line in the NFL is pretty similar to every other business just win, because winning is what makes dollars appear in the cash register. So what can we do about it ? Not really sure if anything can be done about it, I sincerely doubt that most decisions about who should coach any given team would be racial it nature, unless the hiring process is done to appease a certain group of people and if that was the case it would definitely be racist, or at the very least unfair for those folks who worked hard to get to a skill level where they could be considered for such a position. My own personal conclusion is the opposite of yours, my feeling is that most new, or first time coaches are on the same short leash that you are describing that is how it is until you become a known quantity. Becoming a winner lengthens the leash considerably.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Football is one true team sport that in order to succeed you must set aside differences (ethnicity and abilities) and come together if you're going to win. Those that can do that the best will get hired the first. If anything the NFL could be the least racist organization out there.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Clackport....Just because a team fires a black coach doesn't make them racist. Are you homophobic if you don't want to date a guy?
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Flagooner I answered your meritocracy question. The players determine the outcome of the game. So far I have literally seen no valid points countering my argument, it's still early though. I am definitely open to seeing valid points on the other side. Yes there will be white coaches that get the same fate as black coaches. That could be because of a number things. Some of the situations I laid out for the black coaches were definitely not racial, but you're gonna tell me none of them had anything to do with race. I can't buy that. I'll respond again when I got some valid points countering my argument. I've laid out white coaches compared with black coaches in various situations over the past 5 years. I'm not going back 20 years to find something that supports my argument. Jester- so because I say some white people think there's no race problem in America, that means I think they're racist?? Sorry man you're a dumbass for that statement.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Mikey there's no where I said racist. I said there's a RACE PROBLEM. Jesus Christ. I'm done with this thread, I'll check back in tomorrow.
  • rattdog
    9 years ago
    ok fellas i got one for you. how about this one. today the cleveland browns hired the character played by jonah hill in the "moneyball" movie for the position of chief strategy officer. the browns hired a white guy working for an mlb baseball team to run the FOOTBALL team. wouldn't someone like denny green be a more logical hire? it was his players that made the super bowl under whisenhunt who lucked out with a qb switch. then again it is the browns.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Get real, Clackport, you implied racisim and you know it.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I was mocking your pathetically overt attempt to wave the race flag. Most of your statements make you a dumbass.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Clack why bother to have a discussion if this is your statement "So far I have literally seen no valid points countering my argument" you seem to have a bunch of issues of your own I think that several of the respondents have cited examples refuting your statement but you dismiss them out of hand, Flagooner made a few good points so did rh48hr, jester did also. I think the most telling statement you have made is this one " There are some white folks that wanna close their eyes and say race problems don't exist anymore. SMH. I guess you would have to go through the prejudice to have proper perspective. " that kind of statement says to me anyway if you are a white guy you have no right to disagree with me on any matter of race cause you have actually closed your mind at that point. BTW I would never say that there are no race problems, but there problems on both sides, my perspective will never be the same as yours, but you don't see things the same way I do either, so if you just approach everything from your perspective we wont ever solve anything . And again I don't agree with your conclusion about the NFL>
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    I suppose one would have to look at who got hired and where they came from. For instance are they former players or students with degrees in sports management? By that same token there have never been female coaches because partly there have never been female players in the NFL. Many things are based on race but many other things are based on other reasons.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    I take that back, Motörhead made some decent points.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    No you don't Clackport, Motor addressed why there's so few black coaches in the NFL. You stated your point was why black coaches have a short lease...(implying they were fired because they are black).
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Clack, OK, let's fix this to your satisfaction, Get the black players down to 12% of the league then all is OK, correct? NO? Well maybe, the teams wan't to win and they do whatever it takes. You are implying that owners are racists when deciding on coaches, but OVERWHELMINGLY NOT with players! Welcome to my ignore list, IDIOT!
  • Experimental
    9 years ago
    9 of 10 HC's fired midseason since 2010 have been white. Man, I really wish white HC's would get more of a leash if their team starts the season poorly. It seems like a much higher percentage of HC's going back 5 years who get fired midseason are white guys. I think this indicates a racial problem in the NFL that needs to be addressed. Black HC's need to be fired in equal percentages midseason as whites. Equality demands it.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Let's talk about reporters that cover the NFL. Josina Anderson on ESPN. Let's be honest. She is not an attractive woman. I doubt Papi would even get a dance with her. If a white woman looked like her, she wouldn't even sniff the chance at working at a major network.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Damn white devils!
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    motor, Had no idea who Josina Anderson is. Googled her and my monitor didn't crack, but it did wobble a little :)
  • rick33
    8 years ago
    What surprises me here is I would have thought, of all boards, this one would understand the difference between a "Club" and a corporation. These are Clubs/Hobbies for tycoons, and as such are way more dysfunctional than any company. Statistics or any analysis across multiples of these hobbyists is not relevant. I give you the Cleveland Browns as exhibit A.
  • Dolfan
    8 years ago
    I'm a bit hesitant to get into the race shit, but there are ugly white women doing sideline reporting. Holly Rowe for one. I'm not responsible for any damages that result from looking at that ugly bitch. Michele Tafoya ain't no beauty queen either. Josina Anderson is miles ahead of either of them in looks. As far as the race thing goes: [view link].
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    Dolfan for the win.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    “... Black players make up around 65% of the league, but yet only 5 out of 32 NFL head coaches are black …” This is often cited when talking about lack of black HCs; but the thing is that what it takes to be a good NFL player are not the same skills that take to make a good HC – most good NFL players thrive b/c of their god-given athletic ability (physical strength and speed) and these are not the skills that are required to be a good HC. More often than not; most good HCs were mediocre to bad players (mediocre starters at best if not bench guys) – more often than not good players that go into coaching are often not successful b/c it takes different skill sets.
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    Clackport/Ranukam- IMO, you're in search for a pot to piss in. You found the wrong pot here, starting with the choice of the title for the thread. Although you focus on a perceived injustice of treatment of black head coaches, pulling the race card on the NFL is way off base when you stop to think about some things. First, 65% of NFL players are black. The average player salary is nearly $2M/yr. That is more than a lot of "HICE's" (HIghly Compensated Employees) make in a decade. The minimum 2015 rookie salary of $435K is ~ 75% more than what a Delta or United Boeing 747 Captain would make. For such an individual to get to that point would take 20 years or more service with the airline. I'm sure there are a lot of white folks in corporate America who would love to make that kind of salary. FYI, minimum 2015 veteran salaries $585K for a 2 yr. player, $970K for a 10 yr. player. How's that for annual raises ? That's an average annual raise of 7.2% over 10 years, which is 2-3 times the rate of inflation in the last quarter century. That doesn't sound like a race problem to me there. I'll address the coaches angle in a second post.
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    Part 2- The Coaches: Okay, I'll say it: The NFL ownership is the epitome of the old boys club. Putting job security in the same sentence with NFL Head Coaches is a laughable idea. This isn't hiring for a post office, or metro transit job. Team owners can (and do) fire head coaches if they don't like the way they part their hair (taking hyperbole license here). With the Steelers being one notable exception, many teams have hired more head coaches in 7 years than the Steelers have in 3 decades. Does Marvin Lewis (Bengals) have a long enough leash for you ? His 13 seasons with same team is exceeded only by Bill Bellichick. Yes, as you probably know, he has a winning record (112-92-2), and has coached Bengals to playoffs 5 straight years. Lets not forget that he had losing seasons in 3 out of 4 years (2007-2010), yet the club ownership stuck with him. Another thing is the "doughnut" playoff record of his (0-6, hopefully rectified this coming weekend.). Tom Coughlin, a coach with 1 year less tenure with the Giants, is stepping down. With one less year than Lewis, he has a winning playoff record (try reading wiki on this versus ranting), and 2 Super Bowl rings to show for it. I'll add that life isn't fair, and repeat my acknowledgement that NFL team ownership is an old boys club. Fwiw, I feel that Tony Dungy got shabby treatment when he was let go from Tampa Bay Bucs after all he had done for the ball club. Yet I don't recall one peep from him griping about how he got screwed over because of his race. All he did was build another team (Indianapolis Colts) in the same manner he built the Bucs, and collected a Super Bowl ring along the way. I'd suggest that you strive to model is example, rather than keep pulling the race card in internet rants.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^^Best answer yet, Thank you minnow, articulate, well reasoned, and right on point^^^^
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    @GACA- they just fired Lovie :)
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    8 years ago
    Surprised to see Lovie gone. It seemed like the team was heading in the right direction. Must have been something personal between him and the owner.
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    Nawww ... much simpler -- as a Bears fan let me say "Rex Grossman is our quarterback" Lovie sucked. So did Wannstedt. By the end, everyone of every race and gender wanted him GONE!
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    "They just fired Lovie." Now don't start any shit here. Lovie Smith was fired after a 2 year record of 8-24. Prior head coach Greg Schiano (white guy) was fired after a 2 year record of 11-21. @M_F_M- Yeah they were headed in the right direction until they lost their final 4 games. That the Bucs have changed head coaches more often than someone with a bad case of diarrhea changes their underwear speaks more loudly about the Bucs organization than of the coaches that were fired.
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    I agree with minnows last statement. This firing had everything to do with the Glazer's being completely clueless. They fired Gruden after a winning season, then have not given any of the next three coaches more than a couple years to turn things around. When you're team is in such shitty shape it takes time. No the Glazer's are just plain stupid. This firing had nothing to do with race, it had to do with idiotic owners who think you can have sub standard talent overall (they have drafted some nice pieces the last couple of years) and win right away. The next coach will be lucky because because the young talent will start to come into it's own if they follow up with more good drafts. But unless they hire Dirk Koetter they could take a step back because of the time it takes to adjust to a new offense. Watch out for Todd Haley to get an interview here as he had a relationship with the gm from their Arizona days. I know nfl jobs are scarce but even with a future stud qb in Winston the ownership would scare me going there knowing you might not get the time to build your program.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    The Dolphins, from perfect to nearly yearly cellar dwellers. Robbie then Huizenga pretty much kept themselves out of the football team other than owning them. Let Shula run the show, and he ran it quite well. Since then, well...
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Kind of a shock Lovis got fired. But it wasn't because he was black. The Bucs had a nice offense with a good young QB and his development was created, at least in part, to Dirk Koetter. Koetter is a hot commodity and was going to be interviewed for a head coaching job. Tampa Bay was quick to pull the trigger to keep him. They didn't want to lose another talented assistant coach -- like they lost Mike Tomlin
  • Missionary
    8 years ago
    Ok Minnow go find me other threads where I'm pulling "the race card". When I say something that's important, it's when I've analyzed it and seen different point of views, I don't say something just to say something. The reason there ain't many black starting quarterbacks is that IN GENERAL black players are more athletic, and you can't rely on your athletic ability to be quarterback (Michael Vick). My main point isn't about there being 4 or 5 black head coaches, I really don't even touch on it except of one mention of it. I said IN GENERAL black head coaches have a shorter leash than their white counterparts. I didn't say that occurs every time, so you guys pointing out a couple of instances where a white guy got a short leash and a black guy got a long leash is not what I'm driving. I also said there's no way all of the black firings and subsequently tough to get another head coaching opportunity has all to do with race, but can you really none of those situations have to do with race. My third main point is that GENERALLY (not all the time) that when a black guy gets fired from being a head coach, it's very difficult for him to get another head coaching opportunity, he USUALLY has to be an assistant and coordinatoror or don't have a job. Those are my three main points, I think I made that pretty clear.
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    Motor - Tomlin was just a defensive backs coach with them. He left to be a defensive coordinator.
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    These God damn multiple accounts, I keep logging in as the wrong one. Raheem Morris, 3 years as a head coach, 2 losing seasons, one 10-6 season. He will never get another head coaching opportunity again. Leslie Frazier took the Vikings to the playoffs with freaking "Christian Ponder at QB, he will never get another head coaching opportunity. Mike Singletary went 18-22 in 3 seasons, not spectacular obviously, but he will never get another head coaching opportunity. If Todd Bowles in his second year with the Jets doesn't make the playoffs, he will be fired, and he will never get another head coaching opportunity. I wasn't gonna get into quarterbacks, but Vince Young has a 31-19 career record, and he wants to be in the NFL, he's been out of the NFL for years. You're gonna tell me he's not at least good enough to be a backup when perennial losers like Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Blaine Gabbert are starting in this league!? JaMarcus Russell, number one overall pick for the Oakland Raiders, 3 years and he's out of the league, he had a decent second year, he's not good enough or has potential enough to be a backup or get another chance to start? RG3 won rookie of the year his first year in the league, tore his ACL in the offseason and struggled with that in his second year, he was injured and played a few games in his third year, obviously Kirk Cousins is starting this year, I guarantee when the Redskins release RG3, he will have to be a backup for another team or be out of the league. Wake up people, this is right in front of your eyes!
  • rh48hr
    8 years ago
    I could agree with much of what you said except JaMarcus Russell. He was lazy, got fat and couldn't read defenses. He tried to make a come back this year and wasn't up to par. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Waaaaahhhh! "I'm black and the world is against us!" Waaaaaahhh! "Let's show how the MAN victimizes black people!" Waaaaaahhh! "I'm not an a professional sports player, but I want to point out a non story because I have nothing better to do with my time!" Those who bring out the race card blindly are the ignorant ones.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    This thread has been a more entertaining read than many of those about strippers. And better than any of those JS69 wrote before he cried and left.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    After that silly game with 11 on a side and and a flattened ball, I'm going to lead the main attraction, feeding Christians to lions. There will be no racial discrimination. SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    “... Raheem Morris, 3 years as a head coach, 2 losing seasons, one 10-6 season. He will never get another head coaching opportunity again. Leslie Frazier took the Vikings to the playoffs with freaking "Christian Ponder at QB, he will never get another head coaching opportunity ...” That goes for most coaches – Joe Philbin recently got fired by the Dolphins and no-one expects him to get any HC considerations now nor in the future. There are plenty of former HCs that would like to be HCs again and no-one will give them a chance; this is more of the norm than the exception. Mike Sherman went from Packers HC to Texas A&M HC (demotion) to Dolphins OC to now being a H.S. head-coach.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Dude – look – black guys dominate the major sports as athletes plus they got big dicks – you can't have everything.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    Papi, "...they got big dicks" I hope you aren't speaking from experience!
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Coaches are pawns just like the players. They're all rich, but the black guys are still the blue collar rich guys. What are the races of the OWNERS? Probably all white, a few Jews. In terms of the [psychotic] OP's original question, that is pretty telling.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    "They're all rich, but the black guys are still the blue collar rich guys" Ah Jeez Nina, what kind of leftist crap are your professors spoon feeding you? A few years ago Vikings player Adrian Peterson compared the NFL to "modern day slavery" and several years ago during contract negotiations, NBA player Latrell Sprewell said an offer of $30 million was "insulting" and "I got a family to feed". i thought you were smart enough to not buy into that shit.
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    The owners being white has little to do with race, it's more about having money and having connections. The first African American owner ever with a majority share is Michael Jordan, he's obviously probably the richest athlete ever. Bob Johnson was the previous owner, and Jordan is/was good friends with him, and got in the door pretty early.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Motorhead shut the fuck up. Enough with your leftist conspiracy theories. Do you know what "blue collar" means? They're blue collar rich boys. The white collar rich boys are the ones who sit in office. The football players do manual work on a field. How is literally everything you don't agree with 'leftist crap'? Enough. They're all still rich, anyway
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Nina, what Motor meant is that earning millions of dollars a year is not blue collar. Playing football is not manual labor. You can see that point, yes? No?
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Well, if that is what he meant, he is wrong. The term "blue collar" doesn't mean you can't be rich, that's a common misconception (since a lot of blue collar jobs aren't as high paying as white collar jobs). It isn't relative to how much money you make, but the TYPE of work you do. NFL players don't play their games sitting from a desk; they're on the field doing physical 'work.' They may be very rich, but the higher ups in suit and ties who actually ARE white collar are usually making more.
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    So I'm checking out CBS Sports for the latest sports news, and I see this new article posted today. [view link] I would suggest for those who think I'm playing the "race card" to read the article. As I said earlier in the thread I don't just say something just to say something, I say it when I've analyzed it. What is said in the article is pretty common knowledge to me, but I realize it might be new for some of you who haven't really looked into the issue.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    First sentence 2nd-paragraph - “... Though some occasionally criticize teams for giving minority candidates "token" interviews before hiring their preferred white candidate ...” That right there sets the slanted-tone of the article. “... a study from professors at Georgetown, George Washington, Emory and Iowa State University that noted there is a huge loophole in the rule: It doesn't apply to coordinators or position coaches ...” It's a stupid rule that should not even apply to HC positions. “... That's part of the reason why there were only nine non-white defensive coordinators and three non-white offensive coordinators this season ...” IDK how the non-white DCs breakdown; but I assume they're black? And if this is the case then that makes up 30% which is greater than the 12% of AAs in the nation as a whole.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    "Such efforts at least keep the issue in focus. If teams really want more diversity at the top they must acknowledge the absence at the bottom, working below the surface to promote coaches of color." This was taken directly from the ESPN report. As long as someone is most qualified, which is what issue needs to continue to come to the front. We've all come along way no matter what race, color, or creed you belong to.
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    Papi you keep comparing the rate of African Americans in NFL coaching to the rate of African Americans in America. What does that have to do with anything? Also you can call it slanted, and maybe he showed a little bias, but it's pretty much the truth. You're telling me GMs and owners like having to interview minority candidates when they already have an idea who they want (usually white)? He's right, it's pretty much a token interview. The person being interviewed and the GM and owner all know he's not gonna get the job.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Yeah; it is a token interview and everybody knows-it; that's why the Rooney Rule is dumb as I stated – it's silly to have to interview someone just b/c of their skin-color; that is stupid. “... Papi you keep comparing the rate of African Americans in NFL coaching to the rate of African Americans in America. What does that have to do with anything …” What other metric should be used? You did state that most NFL players are black as a implied-metric as to why there should be more black HCs. It seems you consistently dismiss any examples that are contrary to your particular view and only give credence to examples that support your POV. Perhaps we can get to an answer if you can answer why there aren't any starting white cornerbacks – I'm not talking about it's half and half; or slightly majority black CBs; there are ZERO starting white CBs – that is overwhelming – why is that not racism?
  • Clackport
    8 years ago
    I already stated it Papi, but I'll state it again in caps to make it clear to you. BLACK PLAYERS ARE IN GENERAL MORE ATHLETIC AND IN GENERAL RUN FASTER THAN THEIR WHITE COUNTERPARTS, FOOTBALL IS ABOUT SPEED AND ATHLETICISM, THAT'S WHY MOST NFL PLAYERS ARE BLACK. Call it what you want, but there it is.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    So if it's acceptable to state/believe blacks are better athletes; then why is it unacceptable to believe whiteguys are better coaches? There have been numerous NFL and college HCs and more often than not they have not done very well.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion