Janet Jackson
Los Lobos
Steve Miller
N.W.A.
Nine Inch Nails
The Smiths
The Spinners
Yes

I can't believe Deep Purple, Yes, and Cheap Trick aren't already in. They have my vote

46 comments

• rockstar666
    9 years ago
    It's a complete crime Deep Purple isn't yet in it. Of course, I have a warm spot for Cheap Trick but I'm not sure if others feel that way. Chicago and Yes have a shot. The rest? Eh....
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    I'm on the first ballot for the "Cock and Hole"Hall of Fame.
  • clubdude
    9 years ago
    The greatest travesty is that the Guess Who have never been nominated!! On this list Steve Miller and Los Lobos deserve induction also.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    American Woman.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the most disappointing museum I ever went to. I can see NWA getting in. I have no idea who the J.B.'s are.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I would have thought Chicago and Steve Miller were in especially Chicago, as popular as they were. Chaka Khan and Deep Purple are I believe from the 60s and some of the others I don't know. What is the criteria to be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ?
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    Love me some Chicago, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple and the Spinners. Dig this . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbADFJO…

By the way, IMHO, too many one hit wonders and one album wonders in the RNR HOF. Should have been more exclusive for iconic artists possessing extensive catalogs only.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I'm a sports fan, so from my perspective, you have to be *GREAT* over an expended period of time. Pensionking is correct.

The Hall of Fame members should be great not just good.

None on the list qualify except possibly Deep Purple. I love The Steve Miller Band, but even I would consider him borderline.

Chic. Chaka Kahn. Gimme a break.

And yeah, who the hell are the JB's?
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Seriously Steve Miller? that guys fucking sucks. Do they let people in now just for not being dead.

Maybe the Cars but that's about it from that list. Rock n Roll hall of fame is a fucking joke.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple, Yes, Cars and Chicago - all definitely.

Steve Miller, The Spinners - probably should be in.

Nine Inch Nails and NWA were extremely influential to many aspiring acts and to my generation "Generation X." They both should be in someday - but it's still a bit early.

I read an article awhile back that said they were running out of acts to induct. I mean they let in Green Day, so is it that big of a deal to be inducted? At least they finally let Rush in.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^ No kidding, take a gander at who they let in...

https://rockhall.com/inductees/byyear/
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    "I read an article awhile back that said they were running out of acts to induct."

I can believe that. They seem to just be inducting people each year just because they need to have an induction ceremony.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Yes...who the fuck ARE the J.B.s????
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Steve Millar is a legend in his own mind. He was okay but "hall of fame"? naa....
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I like Steve Miller because I dig his early blues, blues-rock stuff. I'm a sucker for the blues rock genre. But that's just a personal preference. I agree, he's not HOF worthy.

You don't see baseball writers putting in the likes of Super Joe Charboneau just because he had one great season.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    You do have to give Steve Miller some points just for longevity. Dude is like 72 and I think he was still touring at least of a couple years ago.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    @motor, you have to admit there were the "Sandy Koufax" types, Cream, Hendrix, CCR. They all dominated, but for not that many years
  • clubdude
    9 years ago
    The JBs were James Brown backing band. I'm remembering Steve Miller from the 70s and he gave a great show back then, so let him in! The fat that Yes and Deep Purple aren't already in just shows that the board is comprised of old men.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    The Rock n Roll hall of fame is almost as bad as the basketball hall of fame. They put freaking Dennis Rodman in the hall of fame, that's how you know it has no credibility. Greenday in the hall of fame is a absolute joke.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I think they were talking about everyone who has ever been in Deep Purple, which would be a lot of people indeed. Then again, when they finally put Kiss in, it was only Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter and not any of the other musicians who ever appeared on a Kiss album, but for Metallica, everyone who ever was on an album got in, which included Robert Trujillo, who was only on Death Magnetic, as of the day they got inducted.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Bands get in as a band, artists can also get in as individuals. Paul McCartney is in twice (not that his solo stuff was worthy) as I think Neil Young is.

Cheap Trick is a tough choice. Neilson was a huge influence on lots of guitarists (myself included) and the band has longevity too. They sold a LOT of records. But HOF? I think they should have a "Hall Of The Very Good". In baseball that would include guys like Andre Dawson, Mark Grace...
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

I could see Cheap Trick, The Cars and Chicago out of that list.
    The others? Eh....
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    The Cars??? Hall Of The Almost Very Good. Chicago has big at the time they were big....Hall Of The Very Good though. Only Deep Purple should be a slam dunk but they've been slighted thus far, so who knows.
  • Meursault
    9 years ago
    No love for The Smiths? They were extremely influential and should get in on that alone. Most of these bands should be excluded for the crime of not knowing when to go away. If you're truly HOF worthy you should either flame out or stay great. Even though they clearly did not know when to go away, I can see Cheap Trick sneaking in on influence as well. But The Cars or Chicago, no way.
  • Meursault
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple is tough. On one hand: an innovative and pioneering band. On the other hand: so many members, and so much dreck over the years. On the third hand: Smoke on the Water. On the fourth hand: Lloyd Price is in the Hall of Fame, so how do you keep Deep Purple out.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    NWA is rap. I thought this was for rock n roll.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Meursault: Deep Purple is so much more than just the hit songs.

Ritchie Blackmore was the first shed guitarist, and guys like Malmstein, Vai, Rhodes all took the cue from Blackmore. And the tone of the band overall was the template for a million professional and garage bands to follow. Backmore's Marshall Majors were a tone often copied and put Marshall on the map (along with Hendrix and Page). It was different tone from Hendrix and Clapton and Page though; it was much more cello like. Guys who didn't want the crunch of Sabbath listened to him for tone. He and Iron Maiden are the only classic rock metal bands not using Gibsons which helped him be unique.

Because Deep Purple had such a creative influence on the genre, and had the record sales and hits to back it up, I am perplexed how anyone in tune with classic rock would not have voted them in long ago. I hope they get their due (if they even care).
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    The people who choose and appoint bands into the RnR hall of fame are posers and the hall of fame is a joke. There are many groups/artists(?) that don't deserve being anywhere near that building and several deserving ones that haven't been considered.
    I live close to the RnR hall of fame and have never had a desire to visit it.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple are one of the first hard rock/heavy metal bands so that alone should have gotten them in earlier. Don't think Janet Jackson should even be on that list. Los Lobos are very good but don't think they were popular enough. I wouldn't be upset if they got in. NWA is what is wrong with society but because of the movie will get in. I'd like to see the Smiths get in because I would hope that means more British groups of that era will be inducted, but then again the biggest British bands of that decade Duran Duran, New Order/Joy Division and the Cure haven't been nominated. Okay I think the Cure was ONCE. I like Nine Inch Nails but way too early. I'd be okay with the rest getting in, but not Janet Jackson who doesn't deserve it.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Oh and Depeche Mode hasn't been nominated and neither has the Moody Blues.
  • l_MN
    9 years ago
    This has got to be code And I don't know which one of you is cia or NSA
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    "NWA is what is wrong with society"
    Definitely an idiotic statement, but hey you think Janet Jackson doesn't deserve it, so I shouldn't expect much from you.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Public Enemy and Run-DMC are already in. Hip hop artists are inducted as well as pre-rock era "influencers" such as Muddy Waters.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    No one has even mentioned that Deep Purple has the greatest guitar riff of all time on "Smoke on the Water" (or at least it was til the White Stripes came along, but that's subjective).
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    @ former_stripper:You have definite opinions and you didn't mention Cheap Trick. In out out? (IYHO).

I actually prefer Blackmore's work on Child In Time but the Smoke riff and the solos oo are definitely iconic.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Oh I think Cheap Trick is wonderful, but got lazy and just included them in the rest. I was surprised to see them on the list. Chicago too, though they've had a long career.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    @ranukam, no Janet Jackson doesn't deserve it. Flashing a nipple at the Superbowl doesn't qualify anyone. As for NWA, look at what happened after them. Yes they were influential but this opens to a lot of bad stuff. Besides, why is that an idiotic statement? Are you aware of the history of NWA?
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Also, what instruments does NWA play? how about Janet Jackson? See, the bands I mentioned are BANDS. There's a lead singer, a guitarist, bassist, drummer etc. That's what should be inducted, not people saying crap about others, especially with NWA's horribly misogynist lyrics.
  • azdd
    9 years ago
    Deep Purple - should be a lock. Janet Jackson shouldn't be there any more than Madonna, who is already in and taking up space from other artists that actually play rock and roll.
  • IHearVoices
    9 years ago
    If it's a R&R HOF, then only Chicago deserves it. If it's a 'music' HOF, then add Janet.

I'd put Chaka Khan, Chic, and NWA in genre-specific halls.
  • rattdog
    9 years ago
    a band that creates a riff which causes countless music stores to post a sign begging people walking in that says, "please no smoke on the water" gets my vote.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    "Flashing a nipple at the Superbowl doesn't qualify anyone" So you think that's all she's done? Lol. Why would she be headlining a Super Bowl halftime show if she wasn't one of the best?

For the sake of your argument you probably shouldn't click this link lol.
    www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart…

Just because she wasn't Michael Jackson, that doesn't mean she wasn't/isn't legendary in her own right. It never ceases to amaze me the idiocy of some of you guys.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Popularity doesn't mean anything. Milli Vanilli sold millions. The Archies, the Chipmunks and the Partridge Family all had number 1 hits though most are fake (well the Partridge Family had two legit singers).
  • IHearVoices
    9 years ago
    Considering it's called a hall of "fame", I imagine popularity would mean something.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    former_stripper: I get your point that those groups were "manufactured", but outside of Milli Vanilli, real people wrote, sang and performed on those hits even though there was no actual band. If The Partridge Family had enough impact to warrant the HOF, they should get in. Since there was no Archies, Josie & The Pussycats etc. that would be a tougher case.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    There actually wasn't a Partridge Family, they were created for the show. The only made for tv band that really deserves induction is the Monkees because two of the members were musicians and by the end of the show were writing songs and playing instruments.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion