tuscl

Is whistling at girls on the street sexual harassment?

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:17 PM
I'm seeing a story on new York news about signs for no cat calling zones. I remember in college some girls kept whistling at me when I walked by a certain building. I thought it was disappointing I couldn't see who it was. I never thought it was harassing. I guess it could be harassing if it was nonstop and routine.

23 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    In today's climate of political correctness, probably.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    New Yorkers are pretty blunt, probably why they have signs. PC sucks... yelling "hey blondie" will be harassment one day.
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    I don't whistle at random girls. But once walked past a stunning lady in front of a grocery store. She was at least 40 and sexy as any woman I've ever seen. As she walked past I said "wow", and she responded with " thanks".
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    Shark hunter - that was the blind girls' dorm.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    Some girls love the attention and some hate it. Most ignore it, but like you said when it is non stop, routine and intrusive into her privacy it has crossed a line.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Yes it is harassment. But I don't believe in legislation against being an asshole.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    I have sisters. It's harassment. I got "whistles" in Hillcrest (SD) , that's harassment. I don't think there should be a law against it but sexual violence against women waaaayyyy more likely than it is for a guy. And only creepy assholes do whistles , well just whistle, if you whistle be man enough to follow it up with an introduction. That said Sexual Harassment laws has affected women negatively as well, that's why they are so upset that a lot of guys aren't forward any more or take initiative. Oh well, blame your moms. Sorry but you nobody wants to be known as a sexual harasser. And then they have the nerve to call guys who follow suit pussies. SMH. But unfortunately assholes ruin it for everyone.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^Hillcrest, Balboa Park, F Street Bookstore.....me too when i was younger...creeps
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Shit
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    @Mikey ya way too many gay Mexicans down there...
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    You're as PC as we are
  • slickwilliam
    9 years ago
    Legally, it's not sex harassment. Sexual harassment is governed by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature. There's "Quid Pro Quo" harassment (where the harasser must be in a superior position to the victim) and "Hostile Work Environment" (between co-workers, and otherwise self-explanatory; ie, "Ms Jones, you're eating that hot dog like you've done some professional wiener gobbling"). Men can be victims of sexual harassment too, and there is same sex harassment.
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    Its just pathetically childish and classless, not sexual harassment.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "Shark hunter - that was the blind girls' dorm." - brilliant! ;)
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    So that stupid video actually had the city council actually make no cat calling zones. Jeez since when was whistling invasion of privacy. Next thing you know, you won't be allowed to look at women period.
  • ilbbaicnl
    9 years ago
    Lots of guys think a chick who feels frightened and/or offended if guy whistles at them is a jerk. Funny thing is, those guys are usually the ones who'd have the biggest hissy fit about it if a gay guy whistled at them.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Walking around with the DS for several days has made me very aware of how often she deals with shit from pervs on the street. I'm sure it's worse when she doesn't have a strong stud like me walking next to her. I think this is harassment. You can look all you want in public but save the rest for the strip club.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    They were probably whistling at lots of people as a joke. I looked up so I probably got extra attention. borderline sexual harassment I think would be like where I used to work, one girl pinched me on my butt but then when I tried to do the same to her, she was running away smiling the whole time. Then on another day she asked me how about a night at a hotel? She didn't look that bad. I'd just prefer she ask me in private, not in front of a bunch of other people at work. Everyone had sex on their mind in the small company I used to work at. I don't know what was in the water. Highest teenage age pregnancy rate of any county in NC at the time I thought. The large company I work for now considers Hooters an adult sexually oriented business that is off limits for anything work related.
  • Dolfan
    9 years ago
    Sexual harassment? IMO, No. Rude & obnoxious, certainly. Do I think it goes too far sometimes (often?) Yes. Do I think legislation is the answer? No. For it to stop, it has to be socially unacceptable. The reality is, that will likely only happen in certain social situations. The problem will persist were the two cultures occupy the same area. The dudes sitting outside the corner store in the ghetto can generally "holla" at girls going by and for the most part its considered acceptable by both parties & probably leads to a fair amount of hookups. You put those dudes on another corner & they do the same thing to a girl from a different societal background and she's liable to have a panic attack and dial 911.
  • farmerart
    9 years ago
    Who does this stupid shit these days? It is just gauche.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Apparently in New York city, they have street signs now.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I guess in New York the signs are coming back down. A feminist group was calling it a firm of sexual violence. violence. really? [view link]
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    form not firm
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion