tuscl

Are there morman thugs?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
SALT LAKE CITY – An altercation inside a South Salt Lake strip club escalated Saturday night, and after two groups moved outside at least one shot was fired and a man suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car.

South Salt Lake Police Department officials said the incident occurred at Southern Exposure, located at 3420 South State St., around 11:30 p.m.

The fight began inside between two groups, but they then moved outside of the club. One group called for backup from some of their associates, and a white Buick arrived on scene with people inside who came to fight.

A man was struck by the Buick, and he suffered a broken leg. A bouncer at the club told police someone produced a gun and fired several shots into the air, though officers said they only located one shell casing at the scene. The shots were fired upward, and there were no injuries reported in connection with the shots.

The man hit by the car was taken to a hospital, where he underwent surgery for the leg injury.

Police have not yet taken anyone into custody and are investigating the incident. Anyone with information is asked to contact the South Salt Lake Police Department.

19 comments

• chandler
    10 years ago
    Yes. Try googling Tongan gangs.

There's also the polygamist Mormon offshoots who pimp out underage girls for marriage to old perverts, which sounds pretty thuggish. But I doubt if they're the group shooting up strip clubs.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    SLC isn't 100% mormon. There also are plenty of ex-mos
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I've known some Mormon thugs. They drink coffee and think impure thoughts.
  • Duke69
    10 years ago
    Lol !!!
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Actually, in the 1850s there was a Mormon group known as the Danites who acted to intimidate or kill groups trying to intimidate or kill Mormons. Effectively, Mormon thugs.

Google 'Mormon vigilantes' and select the Wikipedia article for more info. I believe Tom Berenger starred in a TV miniseries about them about twenty years ago.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Coming soon on the Discovery Channel: The Morman Mafia?
  • chandler
    10 years ago
    You just know all those Romney sons are up to no good.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    What's next? Amish thugs? Sikh thugs? Oh dear God - -Buddhist Monk thugs?? Oh the humanities!!!!
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    I have been to this club and had to snicker when I read the story. SLC has some gang activity as every other large city has. I expect it was gang related.
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    Google Salt Lake City Gang Activity and it gives you a lot of information on who these guys are.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Did anyone else notice the 2am'er occurred at 11:30 pm?

Sounds about right for Salt Lake City
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @lopaw: If the Sikhs ever decide to form a gang, the rest of the gangs will be wiped out in a year or less.

No nonsense, badass motherfuckers who don't take shit from nobody.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Actually, lopaw, there was a short-lived cable series called "Amish Mafia". I shit you not. These guys supposedly provided protection to bullied Amish families.

Never watched more than two minutes and apparently no one else did either.
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    The Mormon "thugs" handle their business outside of the club, either in the tabernacle or in the homes. It's an inside deal where they bring the club to your neighborhood.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    In my few times there, some years ago, the one thing that really caught my attention were not thugs, but just "street" people. They dressed and looked better then many "normal" people in Miami!

The club I visited had no indications of ever having a problem. I don't recall there even being a bouncer at the door.
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    A lot of Hawaiians and Polynesians are Mormon and have moved to Utah. There was an episode of Gangland about how they comprise most of the streetgangs in SLC. I remember the episode talking about how they'd kill people and sell drugs, then still go to the temple without batting an eyelash.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Isn't that pretty much how the Italian mafia works? They whack someone, go to confession, get absolved with the penance of twenty Hail Marys, and then go back to work with a clear conscience since God forgave them?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    PG,

Can't be, or my SO would have had me sleeping with the fishes years ago. :)
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Not really that simple in Catholic theology! Those guys are building "credits" that will buy them thousands of years of torture in Purgatory before they are truly absolved.

It's us Protestants that get the free ride ;-)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion