tuscl

Do guns really protect people?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:44 AM
AKRON, Ohio — A customer of Christie's Gentleman's Club robbed a dancer of five guns during a home invasion last week, police reports say. The 31-year-old woman told police that she woke about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday to see a man she met at the club standing over her bed pointing a revolver at her, according to police reports. The man told the woman: "Don't move, don't say a word," a police report says. The woman rolled over and covered her face and head while the man rummaged through her purse and jewelry, according to police reports. The man left shortly after. The man stole five guns, including three revolvers, a semiautomatic pistol, a semiautomatic rifle, two watches, a gold necklace, a cellphone and $146 cash, according to police reports. The woman called her mother and boyfriend and then police. The man entered the home by kicking in the door. The woman called the man on her mother's cellphone and left a voicemail demanding he return her guns and money, according to investigators. The woman and her boyfriend told police that they met the man several months ago at Christie's and another bar called Lilly's, police reports say. The man had been in the woman's house before and knew she kept guns there. The woman told police that she believes the man recently got out of prison.

38 comments

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Never let people know where you hide your guns.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Good thing her boyfriend didn't have a job so he could come right over and help.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    She had 5 guns and she didn't shoot the man who kicked in her door?
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    If you own a gun you have a ten times more likely chance of being shot in your lifetime. I don't want to take your guns away, but I wouldn't feel safe owning one myself.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Here is the thing with owning guns.... # 1 if you don't plan to have one locked and loaded by your bed. LOCK THEM UP. # 2 if you do have one locked and loaded by your bed. You are the only one who knows where it is. # 3 if you do have one locked and loaded by your bed and someone breaks in... you pull the trigger until they stop moving. Then you have to live with that choice. I know that last one sounds cruel and demented. But dead bodies can't testify. And in this case if it was a home invasion/burglary.... you are in your right to protect yourself. But you might not be able to live with it mentally.
  • jacobs.patrick7
    10 years ago
    She left a voicemail message for the robber?! This story sounds more like an insurance claim fraud.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    @crsm27: Shooting at shadows usually ends up with a loved one being dead or you being dead. Very poor gun safety advice there!!! See that Blade Runner guy; he did exactly what you suggest (according to him).
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Most strippers I know either have a Pitbull or a Yorkie/Chihuahua. My folks have the Pitbull/Chihuahua combo and a feather hitting the kitchen tile wakes those mutts up. Get a dog.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Guns, as many varied opinions as to what constitutes a "10". rock, "I don't want to take your guns away, but I wouldn't feel safe owning one myself." If all that don't care for guns were that sensible, there wouldn't be a gun debate. crsm, "...locked and loaded'''", can get you shot. Even a safety on the gun by your bed could do the same. In the split second you have to decide to get your weapon and use it, forgetting the safety could be fatal. Sort of like those that say don't keep a cartridge chambered. When one decides to use a gun, the fewest "steps" between "I have to fire" and "bang", the better.
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    I don't see where crsm27 said to shoot at shadows. If you want to read what the press puts on the back pages or not on the front web page - read [view link] - plenty of use of guns in the right way.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    "The man stole five guns, including three revolvers, a semiautomatic pistol, a semiautomatic rifle, two watches, a gold necklace, a cellphone" I called my pal Chumlee to be on the look-out
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    @ rockstar.... I never said shooting at shadows. you are putting words in my mouth....KNOW YOUR TARGET and Have muzzle control. @ clubber... Correct. Fewest steps is correct. Also owning a gun and knowing how to use one is two totally different things. People buy guns to feel safe. yet they don't practice using them. They maybe fire them once a year. that isn't knowing your firearm. You need to be comfortable with use of them. You need to know how to load them, clean them, where the safety is, etc. Now I am not talking people need to take self defense courses or to simulations of home invasions. But you need to know how to use your gun so it is kind of second nature. Lots of things go into gun ownership... safety and use are the two main ones. @deogal.... great post and you are correct. The media wants to paint a picture that guns are evil.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    @ degol: Okay, imaging you have a loaded gun within reach of your bed as he suggests. You wake up at 2 AM because you heard a noise. He said "you pull the trigger until they stop moving". Really? How about you first turn on a light with your gun ready and see what's going on? Of course that might make you the target, so you leave the light off and shoot. Which way is it? 96% of shots fired by Chicago Police in the line of duty miss the target (as per a family relative who is a cop), and these are trained professionals who are used to dealing with stressful situations. What chance do you have lying in bed, just woke up, against an armed intruder? Especially if you turn on the light...slim to none. You're dead. And if he's unarmed, you just killed someone. I'd rather be robbed than kill someone but that's just me.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    I believe having a gun in my home makes me safer. I also believe simply buying some guns & ammo and leaving them scattered about the house, as this story would suggest was done, almost certainly does not. Unfortunately, many gun owners do not take the extra steps to minimize risk/maximize safety - leading to a net increase in danger for the gun owner.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    crsm, I've carried since it was officially legal, before that, I can't say. Anyway, in all those years, I have had my weapon out no more then 3-4 times, and not once did the need arise to use it. Being prepared was as far as I needed to go. And for that, I am thankful.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Clubbers liberal response to deogol', "If you want to read what the press puts on the back pages or not on the front web page - read [view link] - plenty of use of guns in the right way." From the rightwing wacho NRA? Nothing but lies and fabrications. As a liberal, "Facts? We don't need no stinkin' facts!" [view link]
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    @ Clubber..... you are the picture perfect of being prepared and knowing how to you use your weapon. @ rockstar..... I never said shot blindly. Again you are putting words in my mouth. You need to know your target. You are sounding like someone who doesn't own a gun or have ever taken firearm safety. And you just quoted Chicago Police.... What is the crime rate in Chicago and in that city it is almost impossible to own a firearm and possess one. But your point is noted. that is where you need to practice or be trained. Again you are not reading what I am saying you are inferring your own thoughts. Also your last comment on how you would rather be robbed than kill someone was something I talked about. Read my last line in my first post!
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    "The man entered the home by kicking in the door." I wonder about the truthfulness of this. If somebody kicked in my door, I would hear it and wake up. Then I would grab the 12-gauge shotgun under my bed and be ready for the intruder. Maybe the woman invited the guy in, and then she was robbed.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    @ rockstar. Chicago pilice only hit their target 4% of the time? Sounds like they are the academy rejects that couldnt get a job on any other force. If that is true I will be comming to chicago to rob banks because I will never get shot. No wonder gun violence is high in Chicago.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    I own guns and I am prepared to use them.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    @ Crazy..... I have been to the range and have friends who are police officers. With some of them the safest place to be is standing infront of the intended targets. Just because they are policeman doesn't mean they are good shots. They just have to qualify. I am not sure what the % of hits they need to have but it isn't as good as people would like to think it needs to be. What I mean is you can be a bad shot and still be a police officer. This isn't a knock at policeman at all. It is just that the public thinks that they are "trained" shooters. Well they are trained....but not always at shooting.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^^^ Gangsters are luckey to hit 1%.....You could pick them off easy with a good rifle and a good warning dog if they fucked with your home
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    85 % of Chicagoans admit that they have had sex in the shower. The other 15% say that they haven't been to prison yet.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    @shadow.... That is a good one.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc, Always something for a good chuckle.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I am wondering how he got inside without waking her up.
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    I think he was fucking her and spent the night. Then he gets up early to leave and rips her off. That makes more sense he was already in.
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    I think she kicked in the door to make it look like he broke in. She had his phone number. Only one reason a stripper has your number.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    crsm... that sounds totally plausable. Jestrite...something definitely sound fishy about circumstances in this story
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Wait a minute! The door was kicked in I will assume, otherwise the police would know he didn't force his way in. Now how would they know who kicked it in. Well it had to be the bad guy, right? I mean, no one would make up a story that some guy broke in and robbed them if they were already there, unless... In the voice of Emily Litella, "Never mind!"
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Jestrite, one of the things the guy stole was the woman's cell phone. The woman then used her mother's cell to call her own cell to demand the return of her stuff.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I'm surprised that I'm the only one who brought up dogs as home security. From my experience, they work wonders. At the least, a yappy mutt will wake you up.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    @Slick: You should have a gun AND a dog, so when the dog is yapping at 2 AM for no reason, you can shoot it and get back to sleep.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Dogs are very good security. But you know the # 1 best security thing that you can have that will keep burglars and other people away 99% of the time.... That little sign in the yard that says "security system on premise" or the sign those company's put in the yard. Because a thief will see that and assume you have a home security system.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    I don't have a gun or a dog but I have both the sign and the system. It also is hooked into the smoke and CO2 alarms.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    They can pry my pretend guns that I put on insurance claim forms out of my cold dead hands!
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Here' how we do it down south: HOW TO INSTALL A SOUTHERN HOME SECURITY SYSTEM 1. Go to Goodwill and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots. 2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo Magazine. 3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines. 4. Leave a note on your door that reads ...... Bubba, Me and Marcel, Donnie Ray and Jimmy Earl went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the mailman this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside. Be right back. Cooter
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Clubber-I concur. Done the boots and sign deal.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion