tuscl

OT: What are you reading?

Just started: "Sniper's Honor," the latest in the series of Stephen Hunter's terrific Bob Lee Swagger novels (note: an earlier novel in the series was the basis for a terrible movie starring a woefully miscast Mark Wahlberg as Swagger)

Just finished: "Personal," the latest in the series of Lee Child's terrific Jack Reacher novels (note: an earlier novel in the series was the basis of a terrible movie starring the even more woefully miscast Tom Cruise as Reacher)

40 comments

• zipman68
    10 years ago
    The Necronomicon dude. Ol' Abdul Alhazred's Kitab al-Azif be one groovy book.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. When the Old One rises from his house in R'lyeh we're all going to be stroking greased bouncers, because Lord Tulu gets off on weird shit like that.

And if we don't he'll zap us to a hell dimension far worse than one that just forces you to strok bouncers.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Seems that would be obvious, TUSCL.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Me too except I am passing over the trolls.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Ha, I forgot that TUSCLERS are, if nothing else, literal minded.

Sheesh!
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I'm reading the Roman historian Tacitus about the death of Nero and the struggle for power after him.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Post Office by Bukowski
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I was re-reading Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman. Now I can't find it
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    steve,

All I read is non-fiction and I don't think that is what you meant, ergo the literal interpretation. :)
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    The back of a cereal box.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Clubber,....I think you've read a fair share of fiction on this site :)
  • steve229
    10 years ago

@clubber - Hey, no sweat if you want to take everything literally. I mean, it's no skin off my nose. I have no axe to grind with you, so it's all water under the bridge.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Started Ken Follett's historical trilogy. Book 1, Fall of the Giants
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Just technical books for work. I've read about one book of fiction in the last decade, unless you want to make the case that history is fiction. :-) Maybe four books of fiction after I was done with mandatory literature courses in high school and college. I'm a very serious minded guy!
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Even the one fiction book I read last year was a psychologist try to present his thesis on someone in speculative but believable manner. Didn't ultimately agree with his conclusions, but he presented his case well.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "Just technical books for work."

You might want to pick up "Economics for Dummies"
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Funny steve coming from a guy like you who doesn't even understand the difference between salary and income.

Oh wait, I just called you a guy when there's a good chance you're really just a 16 y/o girl.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Rereading the Harry Dresden books.
  • Corvus
    10 years ago
    No time for casual reading, I'm still editing "Strip Clubs for Dummies" so we can get it tothe printersin time for Christmas.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "No time for casual reading, I'm still editing "Strip Clubs for Dummies" so we can get it tothe printersin time for Christmas"

Excellent. Maybe we can all chip in and buy San Jose Guy a copy.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I was reading a great topic about the rise and fall of whores in an economic boom. In the end tho, its much ado about nothing
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    steve,

I stand corrected by mikey. Reading YUSCL is a lot of fiction.:)
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    These posts
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    I have finished two volumes of "Fifty Shades of Grey," the worst written book in the history of the English language. I will force myself to read the third and final volume before the movie opens in 2015. Strippers love the book so I read it for conversation in club.
  • magicrat
    10 years ago
    "Post Office by Bukowski"

Interesting...I'm reading Women by Bukowski
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    The last time I read book cover to cover was 1965 when I was stationed in Japan with no television in English to watch. I was reading 3 or 4 books a week and got totally burned out. Before the air lines had inflight entertainment, I would start a new book and never open it again after the flight. I do read a lot of articles on the internet and will pick up a magazine in the doctor's office.

• farmerart
    10 years ago
    Magazines:
    Daily Oil Bulletin
    Oil & Gas Journal
    The Economist
    Canada's History

Books:
    Body Work, Sara Paretsky
    The History of the Second World War, Basil Liddell Hart

Interesting to see that a couple of my fellow tusclers are reading Bukowski. I have never read any of his works but many friends have recommended that I add Bukowski to my reading list. If he is good enough for tusclers I really should try one of his novels.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    The Titan's Curse, book three in the Percy Jackson & The New Olympians series. Probably be starting book four early next week. Want to read some more Vonnegut after that, along with Butcher, Aspirin, and Gaiman. Might have to find some decent mysteries to read soon, too.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @PhantomGeek: If you haven't already read them, Asimov's "Caves of Steel", and its two follow ons, a more than passable SF mysteries.

A bit dated with regard to style now, but still excellent.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc,

With your airline connection and speaking of a doctor's office, I just read in "Time" in my doctor's office this last week that Eastern Airlines has gone under!
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Easter Airlines went under? Damn when did that happen? Seems like most doctor's and dentist's offices now have TVs. And oddly enough during my cataract surgery I could distinctly hear music in the back ground.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I wasn't reading anything last night. I was just watching titties in the stripclubs. This morning I was sleeping in having a lucid dream where I put our entire solar system floating in the air in a very minimal space inside the strip club in front of me and then I played around by blocking out the sunlight with my hand. No one in the club knew the entire day lit side of the Earth went dark. I thought it was funny. Before I woke up I took care of the global warming issue by removing 95% of all Carbon dioxide from the air and water and then froze about 1/3 of the worlds oceans down several feet. Then I played around with turning off stars in our galaxy, I couldn't imagine reading about a book where someone is doing all that.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I thought at one point I saw something on tv where Galactus spaceship had crashed. Galactus would be a super powerful being from the Fantastic Four marvel series. I must have been dreaming. I do not remember the rest of the dream. If I sleep in late I remember more of my crazy dreams. It's fun having super powers in my dreams. :)
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Of course reading can spur the imagination. I once read a book where to end all race discrimination, all countries passed making it illegal to marry someone the same race as you are. I completely disagreed with the idea. In my dreams I became a nuclear terrorist leader demanding the law be overturned or I would destroy the 10 biggest cities in the world with all major countries included that I deemed important. Then to prove I had the weapons and was willing to set them off, Tehran went first. I hope up hearing a super powerful explosion wondering what exploded outside. Everyone said nothing happened. That was more exciting than the book.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    not hope up, I woke up.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    The newest Ken Follett book, Edge of Eternity.

And a non-fiction about the war of the roses on the kindle.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc,

"TVs"???
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Yes Clubber - TVs are these new fangled boxes that have moving pictures in them. You can find out what kind of cereal to buy and a lot of other stuff.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sc,

You and I may be two of the very few here that remember when the TV was new. Our first when I was very young, a Zenith about the size of a Fiat perhaps an 8" tube.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    @George, thanks for the recommendation! It's been too many years since I read any Asimov.
  • bvino
    10 years ago
    The war that ended peace. Lots of good books on WWI coming out now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion