tuscl

When Rhode Island accidentally legalized prostitution, rape decreased sharply

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

11 comments

• gawker
    10 years ago
    The strip clubs in Rhode Island were tons of fun during this period of time. There were some dancers who still didn't have sex but they benefited as well by the crowded clubs and the party atmosphere. Those who chose to offer their services had a full menu to offer.
    It's interesting how rape & STI rates dropped. One would think legislators would have sufficient balls to respond accordingly.
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    "legislators would have sufficient balls"

LOL... politicians are spin-less weasels who only do something when their lobbyists tell them to (via enough money)
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I could understand legalizing prostitution would make it safer. Imagine a guy with a criminal background we will say he is Alucard. He tries to schedule an appointment with a call girl. Since it's legal, she runs a background check on him and sees that he carries a 9mm, has been in trouble with the law, and has been in a mental institution. She cancels the appointment and saves herself a lot of trouble. With it being illegal, she can not do any of that.

On the other hand I can understand legislators getting into an uproar over accidentally doing something that makes the public safer and saves people money. That is not the way democrats operate nowadays.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    @ shark... lol
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    It would make sense to legalize prostitution. Our politicians will never do it.
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    Indoor prostitution has only been illegal for 100 years or so. The do gooders want to make themselves feel better by pushing it out of site. The money chasing down an individual woman (or man) engaging in a simple business transaction (willing seller-willing buyer) would be better spent catching the traffickers and scum who force children and others by drugs and violence into prostitution them take their earnings. Now the problem is worse because it anyone who is a prostitute is drugged or abused the cops put them in jail before going after the pimps because it is easier to bust the girl and most cops are lazy by definition.
    I say make it illegal to street solicit and traffic. Zone strip clubs away from schools and residential (which most cities already do) and go after the pimps and make it so the girl can report abuse and assault.
  • thenumber10
    10 years ago
    I can't speak to trafficking during that period but the biggest part growth for crime was that the mafia had an easier way to Launder money through cash fronts like strip clubs.

But this is Providence and they'll just find another way and survive.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Good points traveler.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    It is absolutely beyond my comprehension why so few areas of the US have legalized prostitution. I just don't get it. Who the hell is pushing back so much against it? The men involved obviously want it, as do, I expect, a good portion of the male population if they could do it under their terms. And obviously the women want it, since, in spite of feminist bullshit, they do it voluntarily of their own free will as a way to make a buck.

The only people I can see who are against it are all the women who are so freaking scared their man will find someone who is hotter and more willing to have sex. Or the religious right who think it's the end of the world.

I just don't get it. Legalize it, regulate it, support it, and let it happen. Men need to grow some balls and stand up for what they want.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    Holy crap !!! I just checked and in the entire US only a handful of counties in Nevada have legalized prostitution !!!! Incredible.
  • goonster
    10 years ago
    Actually, it's the other way around, at the federal level, prostitution has never been illegal. It's at the state/county/city level that it's made illegal, so, in Nevada, only a few counties have not made it illegal. Everywhere else, it's had laws and ordinances passed to make it illegal.

This is why whenever you hear of a multi-state prostitution ring get busted up, the charges are almost always child/human trafficking, or money laundering from an illegal enterprise (from the trafficking), etc, and not actually any prostitution charges. It's always a city, county, or state charge if you get stung on prostitution.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion